Just Curious, Who Is Able to Hear This Tinnitus Frequency?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Esujin, Oct 2, 2017.

?

Can you hear it?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Esujin

Esujin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely anxiety and stress
      My tinnitus sounds like this http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/#13409

I asked my father to hear this sound which has been ringing in my ears for the last 7 years. But to my surprise, he couldn't hear anything, especially beyond 9000Hz. I set my computer's volume from 50 to 100 and still he didn't hear anything.

To me, 13409Hz is piercing sharp and loud. Is it my imagination?

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't think the results of this poll are going to be very reliable, as the people are going to be attempting to play this sound on a variety of devices, many of which cannot reproduce this frequency faithfully.

So answers as "no" may not indicate that the person cannot hear it: it may simply indicate that the device they are playing it on cannot produce it.

Keep that in mind when interpreting the results.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      When I first got my tinnitus, it was a constant tone at around 15,250 Hz. Using a tone generator web site like this one, I was able to produce a sound that was exactly like my tinnitus. Everyone that I showed it to could hear it as well (the oldest person in that set was about 50 years old).

Using the tone generator, I found that I am able to hear sounds up to a little above 16,000 Hz and then it tapers off. (I'm 33 years old.) I understand that some people are able to hear up near or above 20,000 Hz. Everyone's hearing threshold is different, and people tend to lose higher frequencies as they age. You can get along fine in life without higher frequencies... Audiologists generally don't test above 8,000 Hz as that is all you need to be able to properly distinguish human speech.

4. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      @Esujin
      This is normal and the same for me.

Playing my T sound (which is similar frequency as yours) to my mother in law does nothing. She simply does not hear it. And I myself do not hear it, but must play it super-loud. T is oftentimes on that frequency you have hearing loss. So your father has hearing loss (which is age-related) and can no longer hear the high-pitched sounds.

Bad enough that we hear the sounds inside our head, but not the ones from outside. Really weird.

5. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Yes, I can hear it clearly, even at low volume.

Anything beyond 15500 I cant "hear" though because that's my T frequency

My mom cant hear my T frequency....I tried playing it once and she said she doesn't hear anything (she is 51 years old)

6. Philippe79

Philippe79 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June / 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      H.F.H.L.
      I have this also (or very very close). If I listen to it in my right ear (affected ear) it’s hard to differentiate between the two. It then makes my tinnitus go a little more crazy for a while. Thank goodness it’s only in one ear (for now).

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      No I carn't hear it but I do have hearing loss.
      Love glynis

8. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Can't hear it. Just about managed to hear up to about 10k. After that, nothing.

9. Screamin Ears
      Crappy

Screamin Ears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I cant hear anything above 8K on that tone generator, yet using the NCH tone generator i can hear up past 9K.

10. Nick07
      Balanced

Nick07 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possibly noise or unknown
      Interesting. I could hear up to 16,000 Hz at my normal volume. Once I turned up the volume, I could hear the max at 20,154 Hz, so much for the theory of high frequency hearing loss. I even tested it while blocking my tinnitus free ear.

I definitely didn't enjoy that 13,409Hz noise, I should add.

11. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That's exactly what mine sounds like, just slightly louder.