Just Got My ACS Custom Earplugs — What Have Your Experiences Been Like?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lloyd2809, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Lloyd2809

Lloyd2809 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone,

Recently got my ACS plugs, Pro 17’s to be exact for going out to bars, clubs etc, total blanks filters to use when necessary and the Pro 26 filters for work, I work with planes.

I picked them up today from my audiologist, who wasn’t there to fit them, so I took them home and tried them in, bizarre feeling considering with the 17’s you can still hear plenty. My trouble has came from putting them in/taking them out, I never got the grips added as I’d been told they weren’t necessary. Took me a couple attempts to get them in, and about 15 attempts to turn them to get them out. Anybody else had this problem? This something that goes away? I have a slight paranoia about even touching my ears too much to take them out.

The right and left are different sizes, obviously each ear canal can be different. The left one looks bulkier in appearance, and feels it when it’s inserted, more so than the right one does. This happen a lot or could this be normal?

I would be interested to hear about anyone else’s experiences with these plugs and what you use them/each filter for?

Cheers,
      Lloyd

2. Matas
      Amazed

Matas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Concert
      Hey,

I had the same problem with them. You get used to it, you need to find a way how to take them out and in. Took me around a week to learn how to insert them easily.

3. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I do not have custom earplugs. However, I have musician plugs with a -18 NRR, and they are not particularly strong as I can hear a conversation just fine. For work with planes, you should have both foam plugs, and ear muffs, as the noise can be quite high and easily exceed 105 db.

4. Ruse
      No Mood

Ruse Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL & TMJ
      The trick is when your putting them in you have to twist them backwards.

Haven’t had any issues with taking them out, though I had to get my Pro15s adjusted (which they usually do for free) before they fit properly.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lloyd2809

Lloyd2809 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Matas Mine are noticeably different, of course because of the canals, but the left one is like a proper fit, feels like it fills the canal and the outer side which is visible, totally seals the ear. The right one feels like a less full feeling once inserted and the outer face seems to fill top/side corners but not the lower part completely.

@Ruse When you say adjusted, do you mean they just needed a bit extra added to the plugs to fit properly? Did you just send them in and they took 2 weeks again for them to be delivered? I think that’s what I need to do.

It was around 15 attempts on both ears to remove them, couldn’t even get a grip to twist them. Second time was 4 on the left and around 15 again on the right. Left one protrudes slightly more so is easier to get at, the right not so much.

@Digital Doc I use foam earplugs and over ear muffs when working. Situational awareness in these environments is paramount. I got the custom plugs so that I can actually communicate without constantly having to take my foam plugs out, now once these plugs are redone I can have them in and only need to take the ear muffs off.

Thanks for all your responses.

6. Ruse
      No Mood

Ruse Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL & TMJ
      I actually had a bit shaved off them as they were too tight and were causing me pain.

Their UK customer service was amazing they even offered to reimburse my postage back to them (remember to keep receipts).

I was offered a fresh impression or alterations to be made, both free of charge.

I think it took me about 2 weeks to get them back.