Just Got Tinnitus — Was Taking Xifaxan and Neomycin When It Started

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by SallySc, Dec 14, 2019.

1. SallySc

SallySc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neocymin
      Hi there, I started getting tinnitus a little over a week ago. I was diagnosed with SIBO and prescribed Xifaxan and Neomycin for a 14 day period. My doctor checked me 1 week in and I was doing fine. At about 10-11 days into the treatment I noticed when it was very quiet that I had slight ringing in my ears. (Reminded me of the old days (I'm 60) after going to a concert.)

Silly me, I finished the medication because I didn't make the connection. Now it has been 3 days since I stopped the meds and the ringing is so much louder, constant high pitched. I can still hear fine - tv, radio, people, but the high pitched ringing is loud. Also, I don't know if it is related since I am getting a cold, but both yesterday and today I woke with pain in my jaw joint area by my ears, mostly left side but a little also on the right. I've read that Neomycin is known to cause tinnitus and may cause deafness even later.

My question is since I only took it for 2 weeks, and will not take it again, does anyone know or has experienced the tinnitus resolving or quieting after a while or should I expect this to be my new way of living? UGH!

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Usually tinnitus from taking ototoxic medicines will fade over time after stopping the medicines. No one can predict how it will be in your case. No need to worry about it for the time being as this will add much more stress and anxiety worrying about it and they are bad for tinnitus. You have a good chance to get better because you only take the med for a short time. Besides as you said, there are other possible causes of the tinnitus besides the med. Try to wait it out a bit instead of panicking which is bad for tinnitus. Take care. God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      @SallySc

I am relatively new to the forum (few months). If you are looking for someone that can relate TOTALLY with you, it’s me. I was told initially that I had gastritis and it would go away in its own. Two months went by still having problems. GI performed breath test. It was positive for SIBO. Now, GI did not know a lot about and prescribed Xifaxan for 2 weeks. Did not help. He refilled it again no help. I go to highly regarded hospital specialize in SIBO they said it’s methane based so need combination of antibiotics. I opted for herbal treatment. One month of taking ADP, Berberine and Dysbiocide approx 14 pills per day. Another breath test showed numbers went down, doc said you ready for Xifaxan and neomycin. After 3 days on the combination left ear starts to ring Next day prescribed prednisone for 8 days. 2 days later in emergency room with ringing and pain in left ear. Completely lost it. Like you I do not like prescription drugs. Never really took any kind of med.

Here I am today 9 months later with tinnitus and now hyperacusis. Just yesterday I noticed discomfort in jaw and neck. Only time. I would love to compare your symptoms. On another note I still have problems with stomach. I took every kind of probiotic you could image. LowFod Map Diet the works. What I found is that probiotics do not colonize in the gut as manufacturers want you to believe. They don’t have time to compete with bad bacteria. So, still have bloating, quickly get full and belching and burping. What a mess.

I am sorry you are dealing with this as well. God Bless.

PS. I did TRT treatment for tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      @SallySc
      I am also 60. I had just Retired after 34 years. Never really been sick in my life... My wife was retiring the spring 2020. Now, because neomycin our lives have been turned upside down. Unfortunately, neomycin is one of the ototoxins that does not reverse itself. I used to kick myself for not taking Xifaxan and Flagyl. But that’s the past. I felt I made the best decision at the time. We have to live in the now. Be Blessed.