Just Want to Say Hey...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kathi, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      and to say that life is going on... I've gotten used to it all. Even the spike days don't bother me as much as they did during the first year and a half. I'm coming up on two years with T and it has become my new normal. I noticed that I am not aware of T for longer and longer periods of time--I'm not saying that I don't hear it--I'm saying that I hear it but I'm not really focused on it so it's like I'm not aware of it. I don't know if that makes sense--it's almost like a paradox. :) I'll be doing something and realize that I haven't noticed my T for quite some time. I'm planning on going to Daytona for bike week in March and I'm happy most of the time. I think the break I took from the board helped me...not to say that the board isn't helpful--this is the best place when you are struggling but I needed to take the focus off my T for awhile and it helped me a lot. I was too obsessed with the benchmarks about where I should be at each milestone. When I stopped worrying about habituating within a certain time period, it came more naturally.

I hope you are all well and in a good place. ((hugs))

• Like Like x 7
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome back Kathi. Awesome and positive update. You deserve a break. I am thinking about mine... LOL. Good to hear from you. Yes, it is definitely better to be more focused and engaged in the fun things of life than being reminded about T everyday. I am happy for you that you are 'free at last' from T tyranny. Do come back once a while to tell us what fun things you have done. Your progress in 2 years is simply amazing. You are another 'from darkness to light' example. Perhaps update your success story at times with these positive things so readers can glimpse the reality that even though we suffered lots at the start, good life can be back. We did the silly thing of projecting a catastrophic future thinking we will be suffering for life with T, and yet our quality of life and our outlook in life over time are not anything near what we dreaded about during the darkest time, even with T still ringing and spiking at times. People's perception and reaction to T, even the same T, can change positively over time, and your story reflects that. Thanks for sharing. Take good care and God bless.

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Kathi,
      Great to hear you are doing so well after 2 years with tinnitus.
      Life is so precious and even with tinnitus in time we find our own way through the storm of unwanted emotions and that then helps us better to cope with our tinnitus sound itself.
      Thank you for putting up such a positive post to help new comers with hope with their tinnitus journey as they learn all about tinnitus and know their is a light at the end of the tunnel....lots of love glynis

4. Joshua

Joshua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows?
      Great help to read this. I'm having a relapse of my entire days, noticing it all the time and experiencing negative thoughts or panic. I know I'll get through it but it helps to see others who have.

5. engapol

engapol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2015
      I got it earlier this year for no apparent reason, I went through the usual few months of near insanity and feeling helpless when doctors can't help us.

I slowly got used to it and a few months ago I could begin to go through daily life without it bothering me, I'd remember it every few hours or so but then I'd forget again. It however still bothered me in quiet, inactive situations like going to bed, every time I'd try to think of something, the the ringing just interrupted it.

I'm glad to report that I've begun to be able to ignore it even in bed now. I know that feeling of utter despair when you first get it and realise that you might be stuck with it for the rest of your life, but I'd just like to share my story to let people know that they CAN lead a normal life where T is no more out of place or annoying than the sound a refrigerator makes. Remember you aren't alone and science and medicine haven't abandoned us, I'm confident there will be a treatment made within our lifetimes.

• Like Like x 3
      • Genius Genius x 1
    6. Joshua

Joshua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows?
      Oh man, keep this stuff coming. A lot of us need to hear news like this...

7. randomuser

randomuser Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Happy for you, Kathi. I was in the same situation some months ago but had a setback, probably due to the increased anxiety of the withdrawal of clonazepam. I really hope to get where I was and where you are now. Enjoy your new life.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Hey @billie48 --it's so good to see your post. Thanks for the pat on the back but without people like you, @Karen, @cullenbohannon , @Dr. Nagler, and mostly @here2help --and many more--I wouldn't be where I'm at. I went through the darkness and because of this support forum, I started early to take my life back. It was difficult but I 'faked it until I made it'. I forced myself to live and to find enjoyment in life. I forced myself to go to work as I had no choice--and all of that helped me! I can truly say that even when my tinnitus is doing its worst, I can ignore it. Who would've thought that I could do this two years ago? Who would've thought that I could actually forget about tinnitus for periods of time? You're right, it is amazing...and I thank you and all here for it. :)

(((hugs)))

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. CarloZ

CarloZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      How loud was your T?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      @CarloZ --My T is still as loud as it ever was, although I have a few lower days per week now. I drive a 2005 diesel pickup and I can hear it over that--I hear it over most everything on loud days--even in the shower. I've just stopped focusing on it. I can't help but hear it in a quiet environment but distraction really helps.

11. danny grant

danny grant Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to loud music I presume
      Hello guys!!
      I too am going through a relapse/spike what ever it wants to calls its bloody self. Going on 2 months now 2 steps forward 1 back you know the drill:dohanimation: I've habituated twice before so I hopefully can do it again. It's as if our brains get bored of us living peacefully and want to throw a spanner in the works and spike us. Hmmm onwards and upwards
      Peace + love x