Kevin Hogan Recovered After 2.5 Years

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by joe, Aug 30, 2012.

1. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Hello Everyone,

Research is currently moving towards the Brain when were Talking Tinnitus now days!!!.
      This is backed up by evidence from sufferers that have had the auditory nerve cut still experience Tinnitus.

Like yourselves I have researched many papers and spent endless hours on the Net, to piece a solution to the problem.

At present my research keeps steering towards this chaps theory, he makes sense and he's also recovered from severe tinnitus after 2.5 years, not habituated but totally free and has complete silence once again.

Please read this and let me know your views http://www.kevinhogan.com/FAQ.htm

BTW, I dont work for this chap, or trying to sell you anything, I am a sufferer just wanting a solution just like you.

Thanks for your time.

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      He's authored Selling Yourself to Others (Pelican Publishing), and by reading that FAQ I see he really can sell :)

$197 for the self-help package, but it's with quite good satisfaction guarantee (100% Lifetime Money-Back Guarantee), so there shouldn't be much risks at all - problem is that some people are quite stressed and depressed with tinnitus, and don't have the energy to find out how to get their money back if the program doesn't work.

Let me know if you buy the package.

But the FAQ-page is pretty good. Many good and regularly asked questions answered pretty much the same way I would have I think.

Still, 1/3 to half gaining complete silence (no habituation, but tinnitus completely gone) is really some claim.

If 1000 randomly chosen chronic tinnitus (lasting for more than 6 months) cases were put in Kevin's program ("long-term client"), at least 333 of them will gain complete remission of tinnitus. Between 333-500. Is this what he claims?

Yes, if this was the case, Kevin's program would likely be a big hit.

33-50% cure rate sounds lovely.

When things look too good to be true...

I'm a bit skeptic at this point with the information I have on hand.

(And yes, Kevin has done great search engine optimization on his site, I browsed his site thoroughly back when I first got tinnitus, it was one of the first sites I found when I googled for tinnitus).

3. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      This program and his books have been around for years. I think if this program really worked especially for $197 then it would have been well publicized by now by people other than himself.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      I agree with you both, I wasn't thinking of buying the programme, at most I would probably buy his book, which is available from Amazon £12.77. I was thinking more about the drugs that helped him recover, Xanax, Pamelor, Klonoplin, I have always dismissed these and I have to be honest I have never taken, anti anxiety drugs of any form !! as we all know these just give most people brain fog! and in some cases some users of these drugs have reported Tinnitus as an onset. But I am thinking maybe these class of drugs may have some mechanism of switching Tinnitus on and off? I am Just curious ???

5. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I have mentioned it before on other posts- OHSU has a Xanax (alprazolam) protocol they sometimes follow from Dr Jack Vernon's and research studies on effectiveness of Xanax and Tinnitus. Since Clonazepam, Xanax, Ativan are in the same Benzo family, it would be understandable that this might work for some people. I have never tried it and I wouldn't recommend it without doctor supervision.

It is basically a 6 week program and if it doesn't work then you stop.

Because patients differ greatly in regard to the dose that is effective for reducing their tinnitus, it is important to initiate alprazolam treatment using a gradually increasing dose regimen and with medical supervision. The authors have developed the following regimen, consisting of a trial period that requires 6 weeks and is conducted in the following manner:

Weeks 1 and 2: Take 0.5-mg alprazolam each evening before bedtime.
      This dose is usually not sufficient to relieve tinnitus but it allows patients
      to adapt to the drowsiness that often occurs at the beginning of
      alprazolam usage. All patients should be warned that drowsiness can
      occur and that they should exercise caution if it does. Such patients
      may need to avoid driving, operating machinery, or performing other
      demanding tasks until they have adapted to the drug and drowsiness
      is no longer a problem; and they should not increase the alprazolam
      dosage until they have so adapted. Such individuals should continue
      with the 0.5-mg dose each evening until the drowsy effect subsides.

Weeks 3 and 4: Take 0.5-mg alprazolam twice daily (morning and
      evening). If this dose of alprazolam reduces the tinnitus to a satisfactory
      level, the patient continues at this dose indefinitely, under supervision
      from their own physician. If this dose has not reduced the tinnitus, or
      has reduced it only slightly, the dosage is increased as follows.

Weeks 5 and 6: Take 0.5-mg alprazolam three times a day (morning,
      noon, and evening). If this dose level sufficiently reduces the tinnitus the
      patient continues at this dose indefinitely. In a few cases, taking 0.5 mg
      three times a day has produced only slight reduction of the tinnitus, and
      in such cases the authors recommend taking 0.5 mg four times a day.

If taking 0.5 mg three times a day has no effect on the tinnitus, the authors
      recommend that the patient gradually discontinue the drug, still under
      physician supervision, and using a tapering-off schedule as follows.
      Take 0.5 mg twice a day for 3 days, then 0.5 mg once a day for 3 days,
      then stop all alprazolam. In some patients, a more gradual tapering-off
      regimen is needed to avoid insomnia or other withdrawal effects.

6. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      joe -
      Very interesting website. This person appears to really know what he's talking about.

About 10 years ago I took Clonezapam (which goes by other names) for sleeping problems. May give it another try, after reading this. One of my only problems with this type of medicine is: I enjoy drinking a glass or two of wine every day after work; I recall that Clonezapam takes some of the enjoyment out of drinking. (Like, "What is that glass doing in my hand? And, why am I drinking this?" Sort of changed my personality.)

I have read that, if a person fails to habituate, if all else fails, SSRI's like Zoloft, Prozac and Paxil will provide relief from tinnitus. I'm not sure how people without depression or obsessive tendendecies will respond to these meds. There can be side effects. Based on this website, maybe medicines like these can get a person "out of a rut" to recovery.

7. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      The following statement from Kevin Hogan's webpage is somewhat astounding:

"What do you think of the Zoloft study where everyone improved and many had remission from just Zoloft?
      "15 years ago I began to encourage people to look at Zoloft. In the medical community no one paid attention...not for a DECADE. THEN they started to figure it out... It's a logical choice because of it's anti-obsessional, anti depressive, and slight anti-anxiety effects. When the study showed everyone improved, I had no explanation, as that is very rare indeed. My personal experience with my clients with SSRI's in general and Effexor has been excellent. On a scientific note, anytime you see ALL people getting well... realize there might be a sponsor for the study with a vested interest. In this case, yes, Zoloft (and similar) is an excellent choice, but ALL...is not my experience and I've worked with more than probably anyone in the United States"

OK - I read this, and ....wow, are SSRI's the cure? This guy is explaining is no uncertain terms that Zoloft will fix it. Is it that simple? There is so much conflicting information out there, I don't know how to separate what is real. Kevin Hogan, sounds like the real deal. I believe him, because he makes sense to me.

On the Tinnitus Talk website, I have read some people blogging who say that they are taking SSRI's, and they have benefited. Some have said, yeah, "Zoloft damn near cured me", but they had undesireable side effects (male performance), so they stopped taking it.

If this is true, if Zoloft or Effexor can cure this, it's amazing. So, why isn't this standard treatment for tinnitus? Why are we screwing around with this condition, if simply taking Zoloft/SSRI's will fix it? Why even think about other therapies, like the $3000 Dichonics sound therapy (which is suppose to get you through a few hours)....?

This guy is telling us something that is so blantantly obvious to him, why hasn't this become standard treatment? Is it simply a problem in the medical community with prescribing anti-depressants for tinnitus?

• Like Like x 1
    8. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Fluoxetine is an SSRI, which is what I take. By no means am I cured in the technical sense that I can no longer hear my T, but I am effectively in cured that I:
      a) don't obsess about it
      b) don't *notice* it or think about it much
      c) am not anxious
      d) live my life fully

I don't really know how much of that is because of the fluoxetine; I put a lot of hard work into mental approach before they kicked in, but it would be naive to think they do nothing to help.

I'm on meds because of an underlying depression problem, so I don't really even feel I am taking them because of T.

Therefore, my opinion (FWIW) is that SSRIs may help with reducing anxiety and therefore help to kill the vicious cycle.

Anxiety is something that when I'm in its grip, I feel I wouldn't wish on the worst person in the world that I can think of. It makes me upset to think that there are other people going through those same symptoms at all times; it's what made me decide to try and help others if I possibly could.

• Like Like x 2
    9. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      DD -
      Years ago I took Paxil for depression. That was a very bad time in my life, and it was a struggle to get off that stuff. I have wrestled with the idea of trying another SSRI again.

For the past few days I have been trying 0.25 mg Clonazepam when I go to bed. I think the sound is reducing, or I am not checking on it so much. The latest issue of the ATA's "Tinnitus Today" has a study which concluded that Clonazepam reduces tinnitus.

My tinnitus is comparitively minor, based on reading other's blogs. But I'm a "listener", and it is very difficult for me not to listen to this baseline feedback, no matter how minor. It's annoying.

I have read not only from Kevin Hogan's website but from other sources that SSRI's work for a whole lot of people.

10. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Depression is often linked to tinnitus so I think there are many tinnitus sufferers on SSRI's or the old Tricyclic antidepressants who have had success. Anytime you can rid someone of anxiety and/or depression, the T tolerance will be better.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Karl & Erik,
      I am sure both you guys are aware that research is starting to uncover that Tinnitus seems to have a catalyst that stems from the brain, drugs relating to the family of Benzo's seem to have the best results in suppressing Tinnitus and Yes I have to agree with Karl's statement when it comes to SSRI's or anything related to them the medical community always steers towards an alternative, my G.P keeps pushing me to take Amitriptyline, I was shocked as it ototoxic. :( so I left with Nothing, I also have seen the publication that clonzepam reduces T, but I think unless the doctors here in the UK have an incentive they wont prescribe it

12. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      I am in no way trying to negate this find, but are you sure antidepressants don't just treat the tinnitus-related anxiety rather than tinnitus itself?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      I am not trying to negate this either fish, but we wont know unless we try it????

14. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yes, Fish, I think antidepressants do treat the anxiety towards the tinnitus but in treating the anxiety there person has a better handle on the T. The anxiety associated with T that some people get might well be the worst part of having T. The stats show that millions of people worldwide have T and most of them don't care about it- they have no reaction to it or anxiety, so they can ignore it and therefore it really doesn't bother them. Many people I know who have had tinnitus long term, don't react to their tinnitus so whether they hear it or not don't really care.

Unfortunately, I am not in this category yet, but I am amazed a the times when I can ignore my T and it seems like it is totally gone..

15. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      joe -
      If you read Kevin Hogan's website, he says ask your doctor for clonezapam for anxiety ;) (<---see this little guy winking. Finally found a use for that bugger.) You have anxiety, don't you? ;) My ENT also said that amitriptyline is one of the best things for tinnitus. I never tried that one.

fish/erik -
      I'm not sure if I would agree that clonezapam is only reducing the anxiety related with tinnitus. I don't see this as a purely psychological problem. To call this "psychological" is wrong: We have been screwed by tinnitus, so no wonder we might have anxiety! The ATA just published a study of clonezapam vs a placebo. I assume the people in that study came from a general population - not just those with depressive/anxious tendancies.

This is a "brain thing", involving the central audiotory pathway. These drugs just may be calming down activity in neural pathway. Perhaps Kevin Hogan has developed a way to break the viscous cycle on that pathway that causes this condition.

Whether we call it "anxiety" or "neural pathways", it may be the same thing. Some people tend to separate their feelings from physical problems - the classic "mind versus body" philosophical issue.

16. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Hogan also recommends Xanax which is a benzo related to Clonezapam and the other "pams", which I have but had only taken it once until a couple days ago. I did try it Saturday evening and it knocked me out. However, it didn't really do anything for my tinnitus. Unfortunately, Benzos long term are not a particularly good idea and all of them are listed as ototoxic. However, OHSU told me that using them short term (couple months) in lower doses under a doctor's supervision, should not pose any issues and they cite a 70% success rate.

Tinnitus is a "brain" neuro condition and that is why I think injecting goop into your ear or listening to sounds on a device is probably not going to work. The key will probably be some type of targeted brain stimulation or new drug that reduces the excited nurons. In the meantime, getting a grip on one's anxiety, fears and/or depression can help in the now.

• Like Like x 1
    17. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Joe, are you taking anything currently?

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Karl, I tried the anxiety trick, and he wasn't having it he just said that class of drug was a thing of the past:( I will probably change my doctor. Erik your right it's a neuro problem, and scientists are looking at ways to reduce overexcited neurons in the auditory pathways / circuits, there will be an effective Drug..

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      No, I am not taking any meds, but I recently came close to taking diazepam I had a little accident and hurt my neck, the hospital didn't have it at hand I had to go back in the morning, the pain subsided so didn't go back.

20. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I have a couple T friends that are in military and on Klonopin (Clonezapam) regularly and they say it makes them feel good and reduces T volume a little.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      I spoke to someone who is an honoury member, and is very knowledgeable, he used it and managed to get his T down to a level where he habituated it, to the point he had to listen out for his T. He weened off it after a year I think and continued with low T, until Unfortunatly had a further outbreak. I hope he comes on and joins this conversation as he is an inspiration :)

• Like Like x 1
    22. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Clonezapam is much better than Xanax, which can wipe a person out. Xanax is more intense. A lot of people with sleeping problems take Clonezapam. I took only 1/2 a pill for 3 days. Yes, I agree that there is a reduction in volume.

Not sure if this is a drug to take for a long term. I may try this a week, then discontinue using it.

Seems that Kevin Hogan is recommending using these types of drugs for only a few weeks. Let's not lose sight of the fact that his tinnitus actually went away. That's awesome. He says that his program is for really loud tinnitus, which isn't my case.

23. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      I really don't know guys :/ I'm very skeptical. I think Kevin Hogan is a scam.

Basically he is selling a very expensive product with a cool name "Tinnitus Reduction Program", who wouldn't want it?
      All that backed up with testimonials and the infamous "100% lifetime money back guarantee".

this is a prime example of a tinnitus scam, in my opinion: http://www.curetinnitus.org/limited-time-offer/

and Kevin Hogan is associated with them.

Quote:

"It's not unethical to say that it's incurable, it's just totally incorrect. In fact, if I go back and I look at the cases that I've worked on, and I've worked with thousands of people over a decade, and the vast majority, are either dramatically better, or their tinnitus is gone. One of the two."

No, I don't believe it. I am sorry. I am not saying antidepressant drugs aren't worth giving a try, but Kevin Hogan in my opinion is a scam in disguise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      He can call himself a 'consultant', 'public speaker' etc. but from the titles of his books he's a life coach. I know I'm incredibly cynical but I've never trusted them. I mean 'how to persuade others to your way of thinking'.... ? How do we know he ever had tinnitus? I'd like to think that if anyone who really suffered like this 'found' a cure we'd want to scream it from the rooftops - for free - rather than charging for the solution.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yes, Hogan is a good salesman and self-promotor but I would be cautious. I don't trust these types where they seem to dispense good information to gain your trust then try to sell you something. His tinnitus program is a self-help hypnosis kit for $200. Seems like there are a lot of these "supposed" former tinnitus sufferers who also sell hypnosis-type treatment plans like Andrew Parr and Paul Tobey. Though you can find some good info on their sites, you also find the sales pitch. Kevin Hogan also sells several books (on amazon and elsewhere).

Unfortunately, with T and the promise of cures around every corner, we have to be skeptical. If there was something out there that truly worked or could benefit us, we millions of sufferers would know it.

26. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Hey, I believe him. But my tinnitus is mild, and Kevin Hogan says his methods aren't for mild cases.

What he says makes sense, because I have read SSRI's can fix tinnitus. However, if we want to scrutinize the guy, "ok", we can go down that path. (We can even question if Dichonics is a scam, if we get down to it. )

What interest me, Fish, is what your doctors said. Specifically, that there is no cure except something that they offerm (....or am I off base? )

I'm about to write a letter to an ATA about this. We need MEG/MRI testing procedures that will verify in no uncertain terms that tinnitus cures are actual cures and not scams. There are so many people out there on the market taking advantage of people, there needs to be a testing procedure that will weed out that bunch.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
    28. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I was given a benzodiazepine drug over 10 years ago for a medical procedure and I still remember to this day the side effects. I thought I was losing my mind. I couldn't remember at all how I had got home from the hospital and that and other bits of memory never came back. They told me that my body didn't have the ability to correctly 'break down' the drug (apparently the half life effect should have happened a lot quicker) and that I should never take any drug of the same family again. I suppose all these drugs affect people differently though.

29. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Karl > if you have prof. Olszewski in mind, this is pretty much what he said, yes. He doesn't believe any drugs really help with T. He is researching the efficiency of electrical stimulation of cochlea and it has shown some promising results, but this is not something he is charging money for. He became a head of medical university in my town so I think he has some credibility ;)

Joe > you mean this clonazepam study, right? 74% improvement is a good result. This might be worth a try after all!

While I'm suspicious about Kevin Hogan, I do not exclude the possibility that I might be wrong. I hope for a cure as much as you do. My point is, you really need to be careful with so many of miracle treatments around. I just think a future cure will come from a large medical company or a team of ENT scientists rather than a man selling his books and CDs.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011