Kevin Hogan Recovered After 2.5 Years

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by joe, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I think its so good of someone to put something out on the net for us all to try. I know there will be a cost of course but its just so accessible. I agree with your take on altruism vs money Karl. Money, the root of all evil right?

So, one of the theories I wrote up (the synchronous neurons) is right then! Dr. Daltons solution uses a mechanism (Sidebands) to break up the synchronous neurons as well as controlling the efferent nerve. I think the Sidebands will produce lateral inhibition? Where if you produce enough excitation in neurons then the neurons at the side of them will pipe down.

I'd be willing to wear a headphone all the time to get rid of the noise, I'd rip someones arm off for that in fact.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Good news for me - Sheffield is only 20 miles away!

I'm not suitable for ANM because my T isnt tonal enough. They did say they were working on a solution for people with non-tonla T though. Do you know if the study you are involved with has this feature?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Louise, my next study is tAcs & DAcs. It doesn't matter if your t is tonal or not with this one, just hope it gives me some relief :) You know Karl I think you have more knowledge than some doctors on the subject on the auditory system and it's activity. Well done your a true and committed person

4. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Dr. Daltons solution doesnt depend on it being tonal either (I emailed them yesterday and had a reply).

I havent heard of tAcs and dAcs.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
    7. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I've put myself forward! Looks a bit Frankenstein though.

8. Aisling

Aisling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/9/12
      Joe- mine is a constant hum on my left ear and undeneatg that I have a static or hiss like sound underneath. Do you think that I would qualify or is this not tonal?? I am so new to this. Who did you contact at Nottingham?
      Also with the study in April are they any articles or research saying its effective for tinnitus or would this be similar to rTMS?

9. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Joe -
      I've been reading some good books on this subject. As an engineer, I tend to think in electrical/mechanical terms, rather than chemical. Mock-turtle, Eric, Markku and yourself are way ahead of me about brain chemistry. I think we all can benefit from reading "Tinnitus Retraining Therapy", which is fairly short.

Aisling:
      Don't get down at all! Read what Jastreboff and Hazell have to say: "From the patients' point of view, the final effect of fully successful TRT treatment is that tinnitus disappears completely as an issue, rather than an entity or experience. In practice, it is the same as if tinnitus was gone: a cure for tinnitus."

It takes some adjustment to get your mind around that idea. By adjusting your conscious reaction, tinnitus becomes a non-issue. TRT is effective for 80% of people who try it, and for many of them tinnitus "goes away" to such a point that they have a hard time finding the sound if they are asked. That blows my mind!

Another extremely interesting point that they make, that reinforces what Dr. Dalton says: "We believe the time required for TRT can be shortened significantly, perhaps to just a few months, if simultaneously with TRT, it is possible to attenuate even partially the tinnitus source or tinnitus-related neuronal activity in the brain."

So we may be on the verge of a great synergy in treatments. Putting together Dr. Dalton's sound therapy, or ANM, with TRT may be the best strategy.

10. Waldo Bracamontes

Waldo Bracamontes Member

Tinnitus Since:
    11. Waldo Bracamontes

Waldo Bracamontes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      BTW, Check this video out. Just didn't want to post a new threat.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------

CranioSacral Therapy Tinnitus Testimonial

12. Waldo Bracamontes

Waldo Bracamontes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      *thread......

13. Mahdi
      No Mood

Mahdi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      I've studied this book thoroughly. who can do all that stuff !?
      90% of the sufferers have inflicted damage on their ears' cochlea which is irreversible. I damaged my left ear within a fraction of a second by exposing my left ear to the horrible sound of a gunshot and know that my T has nothing to do with any health problems. I believe my T is a malfunction generated by a damage and can only be corrected by addressing the root cause and not by going on a fast or other tactics prescribed in this book.

14. Paul D
      Balanced

Paul D Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/01/2010
      If one does the most basic of research on the web, Kevin Hogan is just another BIG FAKE with phony credentials. Even his home page is so typical of some pitch man trying to romance his way into your wallet!

15. Mahdi
      No Mood

Mahdi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      I didn't buy that book. I manage to get my hands on it on the internet. I knew such books wouldn't help me out of this torture.

16. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably traumatic noise event
      Read his book and found
      lots of good ideas but he seems adamant that getting counseling from him or one of his protégés is the only answer. He does highly recommend xanax and klonipin and some other meds. Anybody finding self-hypnosis helps with habituation? Hogan feedback please...
      Also his co-author posits that depression and anxiety are the causes of T. ???

17. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Markku for sending me the link to this thread. You guys are amazing, the research you've done and your generosity in sharing it.

18. Magpie
      Sporty

Magpie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/1999

That's because it's all about $$$$$$$.

Quote:
      Remission of tinnitus happens more often than you might think but often requires more intense therapy.
      https://www.kevinhogan.com/tintherapy.htm

and
      Anyone with tinnitus who would like to reduce the volume of their tinnitus through the use of self-hypnosis CDs, along with other strategies presented in the program.

As soon as you read that you should avoid that person and that organisation.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    19. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Kevin hogan is supposedly in real life a sales and marketing guru, influential language is his speciality.

His books on these subjects are laughable ,,jumps on the backs of others in the field and regurgitates he does with Tinnitus as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the heads-up! I wonder why ATA sells his book? Are any of their other recommended books worth reading?

21. hulagirl
      Creative

hulagirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      What about the book "Tinnitus: Turning The Volumn Down" by Kevin Hogan, Psy.D. Anyone read it or know if it is also a scam??

22. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hulagirl ,his book is basically cut and paste of things that are allready known,dont waste your money,

23. Garye
      Thinking

Garye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ??
      My T started about 6weeks ago.... Only rt ear....suddenly...no warning...no trauma...no meds involved. Some anxiety and stress issues prior to TT.....lots of stress and anxiety post T. Pre T on no meds at all...ever. Dr. tried Oxazapam first...not really effective for me.....then something stronger... Quetiapine Fumarate...still not much help...would put me to sleep...but wake up 2 or 3houres later with my noisy high pitched d!Today I ask my Dr. for Alprzolam ( Xanax) . Took 1 and half .5mg 5 hours ago....and am sitting here,writing this.. With virtual silence in my head! It's calmed down occasionally before......but feels a little different with the Xanax this time.....hope this lasts

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    24. Blujay

Blujay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1900
      Not to negate Kevin Hogan's knowledge of tinnitus, but wasn't his from nerve impingement in his jaw (TMJ), which he ultimately solved?

Also, considering his success rate with others, I'm a little perplexed that I've been unable find real-life accounts or testimonials anywhere. Can anyone point to some?

Thanks

25. Greg331

Greg331 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2008
      I had success with Kevin's CD's about eight years ago. The book didn't help. The volume originally was maybe a 5 of 10 jumping higher or lower during the day. My T is mostly gone now only a few short episodes a month -- for a few minutes now. Most of my success was with the guided meditation (self hypnosis) in the end. And the reframing it as a reminder that I'm feeling too stressed -- so to find a way to relax and not worry about the T. This took about six months to drop 30% or so. It would come back for a few weeks then fade away. Now, eight years later, relapses are much shorter as I remind myself that my T is just my mind ringing -- and the ringing can stop. The guided meditations / hypnosis was instant relief during them -- the T disappeared completely -- then would gradually come back. I'm able to not listen to my mind ringing -- it took time. It seemed to work -- or it may have just been me getting used to it and reducing stress in my life. I quit my stressful job --- that helped a lot.

• Like Like x 7
    26. Paul D
      Balanced

Paul D Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/01/2010
      Thousands of professionals have found no effective, empirical treatment toward eventual recovery, yet this for-profit program/theory outside of the medical community is the answer?!

27. Paromita
      Cool

Paromita Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, maybe dental and facial nerve
      Hello,

I went to Kevin Hogan website, any body here tried him ??? Would love to listen to your experience.

Thanks, Mita

28. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      I ordered his get well kit which includes his latest book and you get two DVDS and eight CDs in the package. All of the information is very informing and am currently listening too the 8 CDs repetively each day. It is basically phychotherapy where as he explains that they are designed to rewire the brain to use new neural pathways where the T does not exist. You listen to one CD per day till you get through all eight then start over again for monthes or years till you recieve no T or a large reduction in the volumn.. Just started a couple of weeks ago so will post later on any results. I will say the the therapy is an out of body type experience which is very interesting. I also follow Juian Cowan Hill and have implemented alot of his practices and I have partially habituated and im much more calm and relaxed..The cost of Kevin Hogans kit is 177.00 dollars. If anyone has any questions I can go into more detail.

• Like Like x 1
    29. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Nueritis, loud music (dubstep)
      Do you think anti-psychotic will cure my tinnitus?

30. whale
      No Mood

whale Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/25/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Myofascial crap Bruxism, a jackhammer, stress who knows
      It seems very scammy?

One thing I know is not true about his story is that benzo are highly addictive and have horrible withdrawals.

• Hug Hug x 1