Knocks on the Door. Worried It's Loud Enough to Give Me a Spike or Damage My Hearing.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Guest9199, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Guest9199

Guest9199 Guest

Today I was next to my bedroom door that’s a wooden door and a friend of mine knocked on it with medium force, quickly 4 times, and I’m worried that it was loud enough to give me a spike or to damage my hearing.

Does anyone know if this kind of door knocking is safe?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      In general it is safe.

If you get ear fullness or a spike within 24 hours of this incident, you might consider minimizing the number of times this happens to you in the future. Even if it happens again, don't panic as something like that is extremely unlikely to give you a permanent spike.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    3. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Now I have heard it all! This darn tinnitus affects every area of our lives in every which way! Ranting.

Did your tinnitus seem louder now??
      Stay away from that door! Or just put up a sign : "Do not Disturb" :) (kidding)
      Don't panic as anxiety makes it worst. I think you will be fine.

Once

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guest9199

Guest9199 Guest

So would knocking on a door at an average level be harmful to my tinnitus if I’m doing the knocking myself? Or would this be something I could do occasionally that wouldn't have any effect on me?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guest9199

Guest9199 Guest

No after the knocking I didn’t feel any discomfort or any spike in my tinnitus but I was extremely worried about if it was too loud or not and if it added any damage to my existing tinnitus.

6. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      C'mon! You're trolling us now!

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Ok, so you were trolling. It didn't work, did it?

In any case, to answer your question, attempt to avoid any sound that gives you ear fullness or gives you a spike. Just because the sound is completely safe for the healthy people, doesn't mean it will be safe for someone with T. If you have T, it makes sense to rely on your own observations about the impact of various sounds on you (and act accordingly), instead of relying on theories and observations about the impact of those sounds on the healthy people.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guest9199

Guest9199 Guest

No? I’m actually concerned about the level of noise I was exposed to by the knocks and if they were loud enough to impact my tinnitus. I’ve been through a lot of unsafe noises most recently so what concerns me most is this just adding on to my existing damage.

9. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The sound surprised you. This has happened to me too. A sound that is unexpected sometimes gives me anxiety even though it is not too loud. You are responding more to the surprise than the sound itself.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    10. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      This.

• Like Like x 1