Lenire — Bimodal Stimulation Treatment by Neuromod

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Tinnitus Talk, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Heinrich_S7
      Psychedelic

Heinrich_S7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Uncertain
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      I'm beginning to wonder if using Nootropics such as Noopept or Piracetam while undergoing the 10-12 week treatment with Lenire would improve results extensively.

Noopept increases brain plasticity and NGF and BDNF to great extents (greater than Curcumin as well), resulting in neurogenesis. If Lenire is based around neuroplasticity, perhaps then the results can be potentiated by using nootropics in conjunction with bimodal stimulation.

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    2. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Funny how they would allow him to go back and work on what will be a competing device...

3. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      How can Hubert Lim work for both? That's like someone working for Coke then taking a job at Pepsi, then going back to Coke.

4. spedgas
      Scared

spedgas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Go check out the University of Minnesota thread. I can’t remember all the details, but it’s been discussed there. I believe he is back in Minnesota, but not currently continuing his research on their device. He plans to, but they are taking a pause on the trials. Somebody contacted him to get this info.

5. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      My fucking ears are screeching and it's only 8.15 am.

• Hug Hug x 16
    6. Cabman

Cabman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss
      From personal experience with these people, I'll second that. I was nearly £4k out of pocket for a pair of hearing aids before I wised up and returned them at the end of the trial period.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      How do you know that the contract was limited? Is there any article about that? So Neuromod just hired Hubert Lim for promotion activities or did he really give some advice for the settings and treatment design?

This news on the website of Neuromod sounds that he settled with his familiy in Ireland to support Neuromod long-term, doesn't it?

https://www.neuromoddevices.com/new...-of-dr-hubert-lim-as-chief-scientific-officer

8. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      As stated above, check the University of Minnesota thread. I think someone reached out and that was the response.

9. Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I have come to the conclusion that Lenire is spiking my tinnitus.

When I first got it my tinnitus started increasing and the reactivity went mental, that's when I was using it twice a day.

Then I dropped to once a day and it eased slightly. Then I stopped for a couple of days and the following days were much more tolerable.

Then I tried again last night, went straight to sleep, woke up at 3 am and my tinnitus was just dreadful. So I'm now quitting until I get there next week and get this hiss removed hopefully.

The other sounds are much more gentle and at low volume much easier to tolerate.

• Hug Hug x 15
      • Informative Informative x 2
    10. Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      On the phone to Neuromod today. Have to admit they bend over backwards to help... contacting people who are on leave to get answers, always polite and nothing is too much trouble.

They are changing my signal timing next week AND have a range of options at their disposal in terms of the music that I can listen to and choose so I leave happy.

Which is good if heavy rain/white noise aggravates you. I'm looking for something soft and gentle, not too high pitched.

• Like Like x 25
      • Informative Informative x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @Allan1967

I'm happy to hear they take care of their patients!

I'm just wondering for what reason they play these sounds? It seems it is not mandatory, and the sound quality seems to not have any reason, no?

• Like Like x 1
    12. Krolo

Krolo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1999 , Worse in September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Volume
      Seems to prove that they are truly overwhelmed with the number of patients but are focusing on the patients that have units. Positive indeed. Hope the new setting helps you out!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    13. Fifth Business

Fifth Business Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Deafening applause (ppl clap loudly after reading my posts)
      IDK, I e-mailed him earlier this year at his University of Minnesota address listed here:
      http://soniclab.umn.edu/

He said they would do more trials just not any time soon (I can wait, honestly, but would like to participate). He'll probably respond to reasonable questions but ehh I'm ambivalent about further bugging this bonafide celebrity.

He's still an associate professor at the department of biomedical engineering and is also transparent about his financial interest in Neuromod. Not sure if he has to square any circles regarding potential conflicts of interest about his research.

• Like Like x 1
    14. jmasterj
      No Mood

jmasterj Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic?
      Also, recently they were recruiting engineers to actually create a wearable device. I'm sure that is going to take some time. I would love to participate in this trial since I live relatively close. I just don't know if I can wait that long so that is why I am going to Ireland in November.

• Like Like x 2
    15. Fifth Business

Fifth Business Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Deafening applause (ppl clap loudly after reading my posts)
      Nice. Definitely news to me!

• Like Like x 1
    16. GlennS

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      @JohnAdams should volunteer since he seems to be chomping at the bit to make a device like this.

• Funny Funny x 1
    17. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      You are in good hands Allan!

I expressed my suspicions from day one if we will get the same level of professionalism and knowledge from clinics other than Neuromod. I wouldn’t trust much anyone else.
      These people are interested in making their product work, not just collection of money.

You can at least rest assured that you are getting the best of what’s available for now.

Good luck and stay hopeful!

• Like Like x 6
    18. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have checked their website and found this:

Multimodal Synchronization Therapy (mSync)

So the new trend, or their new approach is going from bimodal stimulation to multimodal stimulation?

• Informative Informative x 1
    19. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      OK I found this comment:

"Further studies in the lab have revealed that paired acoustic stimulation (e.g., broadband noise) with electrical stimulation of the trigeminal nerve, including the ear and tongue, can drive strong plasticity within the auditory system relevant for tinnitus treatment."

http://soniclab.umn.edu/research/neural-beamforming-tinnitus

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. AliceW

AliceW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma - loud noise
      @EDDTEKK

Interesting link...

But is Lenire also based on this same multimodal synchronization as the University of Minnesota's device? (Is the bimodal stimulation the same process?)

21. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't think it is the same, since the approach in the University of Minnesota has Olfactory, Gustatory, Visual and Auditory Stimulation paired, if I understand the picture on the page correctly.

Just wondering why they didn't include also haptics as another stimulus.

However, it sounds that bimodal stimulation alone will also do something on the auditory system.

22. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      I know Lenire didn’t do this, but part of the reason the treatment was so successful for me, IMHO, is because Minnesota ran an EEG while developing a timing starting point. Kind of like a golf handicap specific to my brain. I think ultimately they may offer a customized treatment that is programmed to both your hearing level and the speed at which you uniquely process.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    23. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure why people are so worried about conflict of interest? The University of Minnesota has rights to X percent of profit on patents from their professors. They would want Neuromod to succeed. And also Neuromod could use their resources to conduct trials in the US. It’s very likely a symbiotic relationship. That’s also why trials in the Minnesota study would resume.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      They are mostly the same concept (timed electric / acoustic stimulation).

25. razo

razo Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Audio exposure
    26. jmasterj
      No Mood

jmasterj Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic?
      I don't remember where I read it, but Neuromod's methods were based on the studies done and published by Hubert Lim at the University of Minnesota. I believe the device that Minnesota is using is stimulating the ear versus the tongue. I am guessing that is more for convenience instead of having to hold a device in your tongue for an hour a day.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. GlennS

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Yes but that doesn't necessarily mean each device will be equally effective. The devil's in the details.

BTW, there is a key phrase in this page:

the type of plasticity elicited in the auditory system using mSync is greatly altered depending on the attention and stress levels of the animals.

This backs up my "superstition" that your state of mind during treatment will be an important factor in how well Lenire works.

• Like Like x 2
    28. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I was getting lithium orotate yesterday at a natural foods store and the guy in the supplements aisle recommended those exact 2 things and even wrote their names down for me.

29. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The trial was sound and ear lobe. I was in it.

30. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I have been wondering... How long has it been since you finished the trial? And is your tinnitus still low?

• Like Like x 1