Lenire — Bimodal Stimulation Treatment by Neuromod

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Tinnitus Talk, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Rafa03

Rafa03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      @PeterPan
      First of all, thank you for the info, God bless you.

With *completed successfully* I understand it refers to patients that have completed the treatment with improvement?

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Interesting that one person bought the device but did not use it.

Only 17 completions out of 24 doesn't sound too good, although it's a very small sample.

3. Sironketchup

Sironketchup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL / Stress / Covid?
      It all worked out very well. I'm back in Germany now.

I stayed in an AirBnb room in Lucan, it is very easy to get there from the airport and only 15 minutes by bus from there to the clinic.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/15064868

I will post the first review soon.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. PeterPan
      Nerdy

PeterPan Member Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heat Exhaustion
      No, it means they have completed the 12 weeks and completed the survey at the conclusion of the 12 weeks.

• Informative Informative x 4
    5. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi all,

Hope everybody is well.

It's been a while since I posted as I have been through some grief in my life.

Can anybody give me their thoughts on whether or not Lenire is working out?

I scrolled through the other thread and I am nowhere convinced it's working, at least not for the majority. I would add that I am in a position now where I am not so desperate, however it'll be good news if it has a good chance of helping people.

I was so hopeful Lenire would be a breakthrough. What are your thoughts?

Hope all members who remember me are well.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I don't think the report is going to show anything dramatically different from what can be gleaned by reading through the thread and sort of mentally crunching the numbers. I mean, are there really that many participants who are reporting privately and not in that thread? The broad strokes are pretty easy to discern.

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Hi Peter,

Just to clarify, did 4 people total drop out due to adverse reactions or 2 people total (could be interpreted either way)?

Thanks,

Jack

• Like Like x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 2
    8. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I don't think it's interpretable in 2 ways, although I get what you're trying to say. The sum has to be 24, so it would be 4 dropping out in total, of which 2 before the 6 week mark, and 2 after the 6 week but before the 12 week mark.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      I figured it's worth asking since adverse reactions is such an important consideration, but if the total numbers add up to 24 then I'm sure you're right.

• Like Like x 2
    10. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      My tinnitus got a lot worse about 18 months ago. All I can say is you somehow adapt over time. Don’t write yourself off yet.

May well be able to cope further along the road.

Lenire seems to be causing real harm to some. Are Neuromod getting any feedback on this?

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
    11. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Dude, not the time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    12. LongWait

LongWait Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Concert
      @hans799 has mild tinnitus, MML 10 dB if I'm right. He's happy with Lenire.

Mine's 6x that MML. Lenire certainly looks good for mild/placebo level results.

The recent bad feedback makes me realize it may not be worth the risk if your tinnitus is catastrophic.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1
    13. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      What needs to be known is if the Lenire treatment worsening will go away if the treatment is stopped and return to base level and how long that takes.

The sample set is much too small to say whether the severity of tinnitus has anything to do with whether Lenire helps or worsens the tinnitus.

More data is needed...

From the other thread, “There are 10 treatment programs at this moment in time. However many of these are not used as Neuromod focus on the programs that led to the best response rates during the trials.”

Is is this all trial and error? Yikes.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      I’m in roughly the same MML ball park as you. I think one of the differences in reporting between severe and mild tinnitus with this treatment is that with mild tinnitus being a bit quieter you get silence. For me my tinnitus is a bit quieter but it is still there, just a bit easier to bear.

It is a lot easier to discern definitive improvement from the former than the latter.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    15. friend74
      Doubtful

friend74 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Right now I'm pretty insecure. I might cancel my appointment. Although there are not many long time sufferers that have tried Lenire yet. At least two of them got worse (one of them for sure). I'm clueless what to do...

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 2
    16. ThomasC
      Lonely

ThomasC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      I'm sure he meant above hearing threshold and not MML. A MML of 10 dB is very very low, I wouldn't even call that tinnitus. It means it would be masked everywhere, even in quiet rooms.
      And 60 dB is quite bad but I wouldn't call that catastrophic.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    17. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Isn't MML also above hearing threshold? Mine was expressed in dB SL. And my tinnitus match also. Since, I've read up on it a bit and it seems the protocol is to establish a loudness match by presenting a tone at 1kHz.
      Mine was done with a narrowband noise around 8000Hz... But because I don't have hearing loss at 8000Hz maybe it's as good? This was not at Neuromod but in my local hospital though.

What's the purpose of matching and masking if there's no standards to abide by?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    18. Ruse
      No Mood

Ruse Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL & TMJ
      One of the main reasons why THI is usually the primary outcome in tinnitus trials.

19. ThomasC
      Lonely

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      I don't know how the MML is measured but I'm sure it is completely different than dB SL. I think that dB SL is measured by matching your tinnitus with the same frequency sound. Then you subtract the intensity of this sound from the hearing Threshold. db SL is in most cases below 15 dB.

20. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      As you can see on the picture it is both in dB SL in my case. Is that a mistake? I know I read somewhere that a loudness match at the tinnitus frequency will yield lower dB results because of the likely higher hearing threshold due to hearing loss in that region. It also falsely suggests that the sound the patients hears is a quiet sound. I read most people are below 15 or 10 dB SL, but using what method? Mine is 20dB SL, but measured from part of my hearing where my threshold is 0 or even -5dB.

My tinnitus is bad, but that bad?

IMG_20200205_123355436~2.jpg

21. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Which is arguably even worse. Have a loudness match at 1kHz or another part of the hearing which is unaffected by hearing loss. That would somehow level the playing field in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    22. ThomasC
      Lonely

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      Mine is 15 dB SL but it was once measured at 5 dB SL and it didn't seem much lower than usual.

For me, they just matched my tinnitus with the same sound (or at least the pitch that sounded the same).

20 dB SL is loud, can you mask it?

23. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      Trying to decide what to do... I have an appointment in March, but the severe cases are dubious. Remembering the scatter plot on results in the trials posted some time ago, I seem to recall that the severe cases were the ones with the least relative improvement. We have a couple of cases here with worsening, and that is something someone with severe tinnitus can hardly afford. I am really uncertain on what to do, I don't even have the result of the Tinnitus Talk survey to help. There are only the preliminary stats run by @threefirefour that seem to say it helped 70% of people. That would be ok but it's a very small sample. I am desperate for relief, but I can't afford a worsening and I am really irritated to pay 2.5K without even a preprint detailing the methodology and the results. What to do...

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    24. GlennS

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I immediately debunked that.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    25. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I think so. I tend not to hear it when there's running water or a shower or when cooking (frying) or when there's crickets. But I hear it in the car, over TV, conversation, outdoors.
      Because of that I'm trying to rely more on distraction than actual masking.

Here's the thing. The audiologist used the same sound for masking as for loudness matching. She stopped at 25dB SL because I indicated that I had hyperacusis and I found the high frequency audiometry earlier unpleasant.

She simply noted MML >25dB SL. I kinda sorta could hear my tinnitus at that level, but it didn't stick out and I had to tune in and ask her to remove the masking sound and restart it. I feel that I could probably still have heard it when the masking level went up because my tinnitus is higher pitched than the masking sound, so I wonder if there even exists a level at which it would be masked?

Needless to say I was bummed with such a high number, but a number is just a number and I still need to move forward as well as I can.

The only thing to remember for this is that it's no cold hard science when Neuromod does these tests. Do you have big fluctuations? 5 and then 15 dB loudness is all over the place? And can you mask it?

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. BBakkers
      Not amused

BBakkers Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2011, Spike 2019, Spike 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1e Loud Music, 2e earwax irrigation, 3e padel tennis
      @Chinmoku

I sat in the same situation. And have reflected upon it like you the same way. For myself I decided it's not worth the risk and the money. As you already say, we can somewhat cope with tinnitus now but a worsening would be devastating.

I'll follow Neuromod and Lenire with interest and hope they will make progress so that I can perhaps get a treatment in the near future.

I hope my reflection helps you.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1
    27. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Except you didn’t. You posted bad stats and people immediately dunked on your poor methodology.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
    28. Ruse
      No Mood

Ruse Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL & TMJ
      Sure - if by debunked you mean rejected user reviews reporting improvements.

• Agree Agree x 2
    29. GlennS

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      The way things have emerged since, I'd say my analysis is far closer to the truth.

30. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Everyone else’s predictions have been keeping up with recent developments and yours still isn’t even remotely close.

• Agree Agree x 4