Lenire — Bimodal Stimulation Treatment by Neuromod

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Tinnitus Talk, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      If you've ended up here chances are that you already know a lot more than most ENTs about tinnitus. Plus you know what options you have and whether additional tests are useful. You're sort of your own ENT...

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Michael01
      Frustrated

Michael01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I severely doubt that. Although I've only ever seen one ENT, but he essentially told me to "learn to live with it" which started off my search for alternative methods as I wasn't prepared to accept what I felt was crap advice.

3. Jack23

Jack23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 month
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, medication
      How did you use Neomycin? Eye drop? Ear drop? I also got mine from Neomycin, both ears ringing really bad since then.

4. Oceanick
      Inspired

Oceanick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics
      Oral neomycin. It was about 10 days after the course before the ringing started and got worse over a couple months. On the positive side, if yours is still new, there’s a good possibility it could go away.

5. Jack23

Jack23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 month
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, medication
      Almost 5 months into it. It's only gotten worse, but I really haven't taken care of myself these last 4 months. It has been the worst period of my life in terms of health. I can't sleep, drink alcohol every night, too much stress... and new tones added to my tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 3
    6. Phi

Phi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      I gave up alcohol 6 months ago and my tinnitus improved to a level where it didn’t bother me at all (I have had it for over 4 years). Then I had 2 pints last weekend and the tinnitus shot straight back up the next day. It's safe to say alcohol has a very bad impact on my, and probably many other people’s, tinnitus. Thought it was worth sharing!

• Like Like x 3
    7. ManyLeavesLeft

ManyLeavesLeft Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acute Acoustic Trauma
      It seems like it definitely works for some people. I get that people are frustrated, but every time I have visited this thread for the past 6 months or so, people have been continually saying stuff like “it is a failure.”

Interspersed with these comments are many positive experiences which are ignored by the people posting these negative summary posts. It’s clearly not a failure if it is helping some people.

It’s definitely disappointing but it seems like calling it a bust could give the wrong impression to people who could potentially be helped by it.

It’s a risky investment for sure though.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. KotaDomowa
      Dreaming

KotaDomowa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Februar 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Lenire worked for me... Once. :unsure:

• Funny Funny x 1
    9. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      A few people saw some improvements, many saw no change, and others got worse. Sounds like a risky game of Russian Roulette to me.

• Agree Agree x 13
    10. Sironketchup

Sironketchup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL / Stress / Covid?
      Today is a louder tinnitus day, and a 30 min Lenire session calmed the tinnitus straight down by about 50%.

Going for Lenire in February was a great decision.

• Like Like x 13
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Turgy

Turgy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Was your tinnitus caused by noise?

12. Michael01
      Frustrated

Michael01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I wish Lenire was more freely available. The fact that it's only in Ireland and Germany is a big drawback for many people, given the expense of getting there in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
    13. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Great...

And how long do you find the quietening lasts for?

• Like Like x 1
    14. UHPTS
      Uninvolved

UHPTS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Taking drugs on penile fracture
      Just a thought:

We all have different head sizes, ear canals, the time it takes for the neurons to communicate might differ from person to person.

I wonder why Neuromod made one device that fits all. I'd say all patients should start on setting that has no timing delay between sound and electric stimulation. If the treatment has no effect then let's say after 6 weeks go to 1ms, after that 2ms and so on until 5ms. Eventually go back, if previous stimulation was doing something positive.

Right now we are just left with filling some questionnaires, then discuss the same things in oral form. There is nothing much we can do to tinker with the device.

15. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      How’d this work out for you?

16. Niatoolit
      Cheerful

Niatoolit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-Induced
      Hello everyone, I started my Lenire treatment today. I'm wondering about one thing.

Has anyone with real hyperacusis tried the device before? Everyone says that the sounds are very soft and don't with their hyperacusis, but my Lenire has this specific sound, the main sound (apart from the piano notes and white noise), an intermittent high pitched sound like a woodpecker that when it is reaching higher notes triggers my hyperacusis. Also even in the lower level volume it is pretty loud.

Does any of this ring a bell to anyone? Is this the PS1 setting?

I would love to have your thoughts on this.

Other than that the treatment is very pleasant, I also didn't have any kind of spike after it finished.

• Like Like x 1
    17. UHPTS
      Uninvolved

UHPTS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't hear anything like what you described.

Mine sometimes makes very sharp interruptions. Sometimes 1, sometimes 10 in a row, totally unpredictable. Once the interruptions are over some frequencies get distorted for a while. I wonder if that doesn't influence the timing. I was told that it has no influence on the timing but who knows...

18. Niatoolit
      Cheerful

Niatoolit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-Induced
      Really? I was told that it is the PS1 setting, is there a chance the settings sound vary but it is still PS1? What you're describing sounds very different from mine. Mine has 4 sounds all playing at the same time.

1. A white noise.
      2. Some subtle liquid drips, like water dripping.
      3. A piano playing a melody.
      4. A synth sound like a woodpecker playing the same notes as the piano and changing octaves. Going up and down.

Is anyone familiar with what I'm describing? I'm really worried if I'm not on the PS1 setting because from what I have read, all other settings might do more harm than good.

Any info will be much appreciated. Of course I will reach out to Neuromod as well. Thank you.

19. UHPTS
      Uninvolved

UHPTS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry, there's a bit of misunderstanding. I have the same sounds like you, but it's just that my device seems to be a bit broken and sometimes makes very harsh interruptions during the treatment.

20. Niatoolit
      Cheerful

Niatoolit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-Induced
      Oh sorry, I misunderstood. Hmm, that sounds like it may be a bit of a problem. Mine doesn't interrupt the Lenire treatment sounds at all. I guess you should probably contact Neuromod and find out what's the problem.

21. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      It sounds like mine and I'm on PS1. I guess I would describe it as woodpecker sounds, more of a fluttering sound but I know what you are referring to. If you are concerned, why not just drop them an email, I'm sure they'd be happy to confirm

22. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Every once in a while I get a break in the sound, I assume it is a Bluetooth thing.

23. Niatoolit
      Cheerful

Niatoolit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-Induced
      Yup sounds about right, thanks for the info. May I ask you guys another thing?

It's my fourth day of doing the treatment (30 minutes a day) and this morning I woke up with my tinnitus quite increased. Is it normal? It's the highest it has ever been and I'm kinda terrified.

24. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      I’d talk to Neuromod directly about your concerns but yes they say it is common to see some increase in tinnitus intensity before it settles down.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    25. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      To echo @AfroSnowman, Neuromod advised me that most patients' tinnitus increase at first, before going on to decrease.

They were adamant that it would not increase permanently, but it is a while since I went there so maybe have a chat with them if you're worried.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    26. Niatoolit
      Cheerful

Niatoolit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-Induced
      Will do! Thank you everyone, I'll post a proper user experience once I'm one month in.

• Informative Informative x 1
    27. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      Hey guys, if there is anyone who is based in Europe and would be able to forward me a tongue-tip, I would really really appreciate it! I want to give Lenire another go but Neuromod doesn't ship anything to the United States due to customs. If you are able to help, please message me! Thanks again Tinnitus Talk fam!

28. MadsWithT
      No Mood

MadsWithT Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      See bio
      Basically that statement is untrue. I and few others have experienced, in Neuromod's parlance, permanent dis-improvement.

• Hug Hug x 1
    29. Niatoolit
      Cheerful

Niatoolit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-Induced
      I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope it subsides eventually for you. I'm developing an increase in my tinnitus and I'm just 5 days in.

Have any other Lenire users experienced an increase in their tinnitus? I'm not talking about a temporary increase after the session, I'm talking about a permanent increase during the first days of the treatment. I'm hoping this subsides soon enough.

30. MadsWithT
      No Mood

MadsWithT Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      See bio
      Yes, several. And no, permanent worsening is a risk. There was massive hype regarding bimodal neuromodulation but it has turned out to be a well marketed nothing burger. Be advised - confirmation bias is rampant on this message board. Considering the topic, I guess that's only natural. Regarding Lenire, it's a gimmick, not a treatment. If you are early on with your tinnitus - wait it out, you'll habituate. Some form of treatment is on the horizon.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1