Let Time Do Its Work: Tinnitus Used to Consume My Attention — Now It's a Non-Issue

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by cruise, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      It is a technique to practice. It isn't easy but try to think about something pleasant to ignore the tinnitus. It takes practice. Eventually you will fall asleep. I think this is CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy)?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cruise
      Relaxed

cruise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Great question. I think my mind never rests and is always thinking of something. I found out long time ago that when I am about to sleep, my mind gets very creative. So often in bed I think of new things to do or try out. In any case, I am always very calm when going to bed and tinnitus is not a factor in my going to bed routine. Pre-tinnitus I used to talk about going to bed being the best time of the day. Tinnitus took that away from me for quite a while. But now I enjoy going to bed again and enjoy to calmness of ending a day, and anticipating a new day to come.

To try and sum it up. Tinnitus used to distract me from my thoughts. Now my thoughts distract me from tinnitus. This was not an active process, it happened naturally.

3. TDarckRevan
      Monday blues

TDarckRevan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi,

Just read this. Thank you for sharing. I got tinnitus 1.5 months ago and since yesterday I notice it a bit louder but I think I can manage it and I'm trying to do the same as you: paying no attention to the tinnitus when going to bed and it will get back to normal soon! Thank you for your story!

• Like Like x 1
    4. Johan001

Johan001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Hi @cruise,

Do you think the character of your tinnitus plays a role in your habituation? Is it a monotonous noise or a cacophony of noises?

5. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      Karl Marx actually said that "Equating philosophy with the real world is tantamount to equating masturbation with sexual love" (he actually said this).

Equating habituation with silence is precisely the same.

6. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      Both are equally pleasurable experiences albeit not the same i.e. the result can be just as powerful even if not measurably as effective?

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks @Ken219. I understand that drifting into thought can take one's mind away from tinnitus - but that seems akin to another distraction technique (useful though it is) - whether consciously done or not.

I am trying to understand if habituation can get you to a point where you are not having to distract your mind from it in order to not be aware of it - in other words: "I go to bed and it's just not there in my mind (my mind can wander or it can be still - it's just not there)". I know some people say they have to really look for it to become aware of it. Otherwise, I assume that they can simply not be aware of it - including when they turn out the light and settle in for a night of sleep (and upon waking up - how great that would be!)

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      A life changer! Pray for better treatments or a cure. 30 plus years it is the spikes that kill (sic) me.

9. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I pray - for you, for me and for everyone afflicted with this condition. You are a hero @Ken219.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cruise
      Relaxed

cruise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don’t know because I only have experience with my tinnitus. What I can say is that in the early stages, there were low tinnitus days where I would be focusing a lot, so having a bad day, and there were high days that were OK because I was not focusing so much.

11. JK888
      Disapproved

JK888 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      neurological
      I did something like this under the influence of psilocybin, and it was EXTREMELY effective. After my attention wandered, I eventually couldn’t even find the sound again.

12. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So no thoughts?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cruise
      Relaxed

cruise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I do not think about my tinnitus before sleep. Even if my attention goes to my tinnitus, any new thought will distract my attention away from my tinnitus very quickly. I do not have to force myself to think of something else. It just happens naturally.

14. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Apologies @cruise, my message came out incorrectly.
      I had intended to pick up on the point that thinking distracts from the tinnitus and ask the question of what that means when there are no distracting thoughts - in other words:

"So no thinking = ?"(i.e. what happens when there are no other thoughts? Does tinnitus reappear?)

(I hope it comes out correctly this time.)

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cruise
      Relaxed

cruise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Got it.

My mind is always wandering. But it does happen sometimes that I just listen to my tinnitus and fall asleep. I am so used to the sound that it almost has a calming effect. That may sound very weird but it is true in my case.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      I believe that. My old tinnitus was loud but just a single tone caused by fireworks. I could hear it almost over anything. I too could listen to the loud sound of it and just peacefully fall asleep.

This new reactive multi tone brain buzz I cannot deal with just yet lol.

17. Tyler Obermark

Tyler Obermark Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly drug-related
      WONDERFUL! I hope to achieve this level of habituation one day. This symptom is UNFAIR but I am glad you have been able to find peace! :)

• Like Like x 1
    18. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      We are all different but it's really loud as I start winding down in the relatively quiet room to fall asleep and then I just drift off and sleep. In other words, it's loud and its always there but it doesn't keep me from sleeping.

George

• Agree Agree x 1