Levetiracetam (Keppra) — Another Possible Potassium Channel Modulator?

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Viking, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      Ummmmmm...Maybe yes, maybe no! I mean, just for fun, get a load of this:

Levetiracetam at concentrations of up to 10 µM did not demonstrate binding affinity for a variety of known receptors, such as those associated with benzodiazepines, GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid), glycine, NMDA (N-methyl-D-aspartate), re-uptake sites, and second messenger systems. Furthermore, in vitro studies have failed to find an effect of levetiracetam on neuronal voltage-gated sodium or T-type calcium currents and levetiracetam does not appear to directly facilitate GABAergic neurotransmission. However, in vitro studies have demonstrated that levetiracetam opposes the activity of negative modulators of GABA- and glycine-gated currents and partially inhibits N-type calcium currents in neuronal cells.

So no GABA stuff, no NMDA, (our T favorites), no Na+ or Ca+ action (synaptic???), etc....yet it does oppose negative modulators for GABA and N-type Ca currents, etc. which I could phrase maybe as = "Hey you lot, I'm not going to affect you unless you try and affect me, so bugger off OK!"

Sheeeesh! So what's left??? Maybe all that's left is that it's a Kv modulator...Ha ha!

I need to re-read all the main studies again I figure, but hell's bells maybe the easiest thing would be to just have more people try this drug. I want to spend time looking at other Kv's that may be hiding in plain sight.

Best, Michael

• Like Like x 2
      • Genius Genius x 2
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

My dearest TT friends;
      In the next days probably weeks i will not able to have internet connections then i can't write/read any posts. I hope to solve it quickly. Anytime...happy new year to all!
      Best wishes
      Ivan

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Ok, Ivan! Hope to have you back on here son! By the way, is keppra helping the tinnitus volume? And is it still helping with the H? Because mostly, I think getting something for my H is important.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

Dear @Danny Boy i have big improvement in H but i cannot say that if it is related to this drug. There aren't officially study or evidence to suggest it. I hope better for you and all members.
      you are really great!!!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    5. skoupidis

skoupidis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma or mvc
      Happy new year, I wish to everyone silent nights and days to come!
      My friend Ivan, hope you come back soon, the place is not the same without you. You aren't going to have ultra sound surgery yet are you?

6. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      No, he will have just ambulatory diagnostic in February.
      The surgery (if indicated and agreed upon) is scheduled for a later date.
      There is also, of course the small matter of coughing up 25 thousand Euros.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

Thenk you @skoupidis! Happy new year you too. I agree with @dan . I have only clinical examination, and if i result positive for TCD, i will go on HIFU surgery after 3 or 6 month.
      All the best
      Ivan

8. skoupidis

skoupidis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma or mvc
      Wishing you all the best, I hope 2015 is the year when you are the first to be totally cured! And may the rest of us follow...

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. VaR
      Question it

VaR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection/ETD (don't know exact cause)
      @Viking , so in the end, did keppra provide any benefits in terms of Tinnitus?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

Unluky not! I'm on 2000mg and i have only benefit on hiperacusys. Nothing of releavant about tinnitus. Keppra can help to control the crisys and migraine but on tinnitus only 10% of work. I will continue until 20 Jan then i slowly decrease dosage and i will update about the hiperacusys mistery.

• Informative Informative x 5
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

The day of truth for this drug (On me) with the most low side effect profile is arriving: sincerity, my dear friends, this drugs seems to helped a lot in hyperacusis (made to ascertain for good) and violent headaches. In my opinion, no significant effect on tinnitus. Trobalt is, in my opinion, the most valuable antiepileptic I've ever tried. Too bad I can not take it. I wanted to take it in small doses, but from what I understand it would be useless. Considerations: I was alone to try the Keppra and my tinnitus is very catastrophic (in fact I hope Jeanmonod can do something for me), so maybe if on me has had a 30% maximum of stable results, may I say just might be suitable for someone who lives in countries where Trobalt is not approved and want to make an attempt with an antiepileptic without serious side effects. Unfortunately this was the best I could do. If you have any questions I am always here at your disposal. This drug is not powerful and promising such as Trobalt. It gave me only max 30% of relief instead 70% of Trobalt. Don't forget an important aspect: I'm chronic and reactive!
      A big hug to all and thanks ever for the support!
      Ivan

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Informative Informative x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      As Thomas Edison once said - “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”

It was a good idea, and it's too bad it did not end up being effective for your tinnitus. Sounds like it does affect audio pathways in the brain since it helps with hyperacusis.

• Like Like x 2
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

Dear friends: I'm finally tapering off the drug Keppra. As a final consideration regarding antiepileptics with probable effectiveness in the "symptom" tinnitus, these are my impressions:
      Keppra (Levetiracetam) 2000mg + 1mg Clonazepam 20 max 30% stable on tinnitus relief. No spyke. No side effect (very good) ... the mystery of the disappearance of hyperacusis. Very useful for headaches and migraines.

Tegretol (Carbamazepine):30 to 50% (subjective but effective) of relief but too many side effects (some are even riskier). I know people that use with success this drug by many years and menage better the tinnitus. If you have neurovascular problems, it can work reducing the simptoms of 100%. It is old but really important drug!

Tolep (Oxcarbazepine): no relief and few side effects. Many doctors say that this drug is the optimized version of
      Tegretol. I do not think that this statement may have value about tinnitus. Carbamazepine is much more effective.

Trobalt (Retigabine / Ezogabina): more than 70% of relief with minimal doses, unfortunately I could not use it because it seriously affects my kidneys, although I have only 34 years.

Gabapentin: useless, if it is used individually. It has a partial effect if it is combined with 0.25mg or max 0,50mg of clonazepam. Example: Gabapentin 300mg + 0,50mg Clonazepam ... effectiveness discreet ... questionable ... not for
      all.

Lyrica (Pregabalin): improved formula of gabapentin, with no effect on tinnitus. Only annoying side effects. Strangely, even wanting to combine it with Clonazepam ... nothing changes.

Topamax (Topiramate): 10% effectiveness on tinnitus. Major side effects. Very useful for severe headache. Anxiety skyrocketing even though I took a few drops of anxiolytic (AVOID)

Sabril (vigabatrin): 30% improvement in tinnitus but vision problems since the first dose. I could not use it for more than a week. I hoped it would pass, instead worsened. abandoned

Benzodiazepines: are all the same. Provide temporary relief and they get you creating dependency (I'm addicted) ... AVOID IF YOU CAN!

Unfortunately by the time I developed considerable intolerance to drugs, this makes me a tester unreliable for further experiments.

But one thing I am sure, and I do my best wishes to those who (really brave people) use Trobalt, I had never experienced so much relief as when I used it in a few days.

My best wishes to the heroes of the Team Trobalt!

Thanks to @NGC891 @Zimichael (always immense) @attheedgeofscience for theyr availabilty in research

You are all and always in my prayers!

Ivan

141224025056208521.png

• Winner Winner x 10
      • Informative Informative x 8
      • Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Viking You are an awesome and brave person to try all this stuff! This makes me more excited for Autifony's product, since it's directly targeting tinnitus channels. Hopefully it still works very effectively for you my friend.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
    15. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Ivan, thanks for the updates and your thoughts on antiepileptic drugs.
      You are a more valuable source of information than any doctor I've ever seen.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    16. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      @Viking thanks for the updates, you are a brave person!
      How is your H doing since tapering off keppra? If anything it might be a viable option for H patients?

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

Dear friend, i'm not able to provide a hint on a scientific basis on this drug. Currently I'm coming out and I do not suffer more than hyperacusis and mastoid back pain (tensive pain). The main goal was to test a possible effect on tinnitus, but was low. The hyperacusis is gone. Currently I'm listening a whole album of Opeth before going to sleep with headphones. The horns of cars does not make me more mad. The same applies to public places very crowded. 5 days I will be completely off the medication and I can tell you more, but I think the "Chapter hyperacusis" is concluded. Unfortunately tinnitus continues to destroy me.

Best wishes

Opeth - The Moor (HD 1080p, Lyrics)

• Winner Winner x 2
    18. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Hang in there my friend, let's hope we hear some good news from the autifony trials.
      How many days total did you take keppra?

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Damn... Opeth is my favorite band ever, and Still Life is my favorite album ever. I haven't listened to them enough (or music in general) since I got tinnitus and I should change that. Love it Viking :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

I have took Keppra by 15/12/2014 starting with 500mg. Go on slowly to 2000mg and now tapering off. 1 month...
      No adverse effects. Only nervousness first days
      No significant effects on tinnitus! :dunno::banghead:

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

Gooooooooooo @Champ Goooooooooooo

Don't be never scared by music! Tinnitus is the sound of hell...destroy it!

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My favorite song by them.. also the first one I ever heard from Opeth :)

• Like Like x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

Final update:

i'm out from Keppra by 18/01/2015 and i still have not hiperacusys. I don't know if is a chance or lucky or psycological... i really don't know.

Sometimes I have headaches in the afternoon (surely because I am very stressed), and Keppra helped a lot with headaches.
      I'm not able to recommend this drug for the treatment of tinnitus or hyperacusis as there are no scientific evidence.
      In any case, this drug is very quiet and had no side effects. (I am very susceptible to side effects, so I'm sure of this)

I take this opportunity to thank all the friends of the forum, praying and hoping that soon we can all get a bit of relief from this debilitating condition.
      A big hug to all

Your friend

Ivan

• Hug Hug x 6
      • Like Like x 3
    24. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      thanks for all the updates Viking! yes lets hope autifony is our cure!!:joyful::beeranimation:

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm pretty convinced this shit doesn't happen by chance. Your auditory system, whatever was broken with it causing the hyperacusis, seems to be fixed, and it's related to the Keppra.

I really think that as we age, our brain has more trouble adjusting to issues and these new potassium channel modulators will be super helpful getting the related brain systems back in order after dysfunction because of errors with related systems (cochlea in our case).

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

I agree, but i think also that hiperacusys is an emotional/tensive status (then psicological....it is only a my opinion), then i don't want to give false hope to people who suffer of this condition. Tinnitus + Hiperacusys................:blackalien::confused::banghead:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    27. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yah man I agree, I think stress overloads neurons in the brain and helps give rise to hyperacusis and tinnitus. I used to have mild hyperacusis and it's gone it away on it's own, because I made a point not to let myself get worked up over loud shocking noises when they happened... definitely something related to all this junk.

Just me guessing as usual :)

• Like Like x 1
    28. NGC891
      Wishful

NGC891 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1998 > 2008 > 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, weigh 69kg / size 1.8m
      @Viking thanks for the updates,

Does the effect you described applies only to the subjective perception of noise levels, or can you tell us if you feel that your tinnitus since your Keppra treatment less reactive to external sounds?
      It's really encouraging your results and I wish you more silence for 2015, hoping as much about looking around potassium channel.

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

The "behavior" of my tinnitus is unchanged. They are fluctuating bastards .Lucky i got a minimum of relief in the fact that I haven't spykes caused by noise even as minimum wind noise.
      Before the 28 december 2014, even the simple sound of dishes on the table, or the fountain could drive me crazy. Now I can use this noise to mask in part and for short time the tinnitus when i have bad days.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    30. NGC891
      Wishful

NGC891 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1998 > 2008 > 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, weigh 69kg / size 1.8m
      Thank you for this answer @Viking
      This is a remarkable improvement for you and I'm happy for you. Maybe i should begin a Keppra trial after Trobalt!

• Friendly Friendly x 1