Librarian with Tinnitus Seeking Suggestions to Improve Library Services

Discussion in 'Support' started by The Librarian, Sep 18, 2018.

1. The Librarian

The Librarian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I am a librarian with tinnitus, if you imagine such a miserable thing.

My tinnitus has made my job very trying, however I believe my problems are minor compared to the problems many of us have using libraries.

Even though I suffer from tinnitus, I still evaluate the services we provide from the viewpoint of a library worker and not as a library patron. I am not seeing all the access problems the libraries have created for the tinnitus sufferer.

Are there any services libraries can offer or improve to make it easier for the tinnitus sufferer to use the resources of the library? What are we doing wrong? What are we forgetting?

I am particularly interested in the problems of tinnitus suffering university students as I work at a university. Libraries are the property of the public, so necessary to the health of a democracy, and librarians must do our best to make sure we are serving everyone, especially people with conditions such as ours.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. I think the challenges of a tinnitus person using a library is firstly the quietness and secondly the danger of using earphones for too long if the sufferer tries to listen to masking music or sounds while reading. Perhaps a special tinnitus patient room be set up with some sound proof capability, and a computer system with speakers and with icons linking to well known tinnitus sound sites such as TT's audio player. This way the patron doesn't have to use earphones while in the room. Of course you don't want people to abuse this, using the speakers for loud pop music. So only people who have seen ENT and be certified with a doctor's letter as a legitimate tinnitus patient can have the privilege to use the room. One added benefit for you is if the room is not used and you have a break, then go in there and get a respite from your tinnitus. (lol) Just a thought.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I was going to make a similar suggestion: A separate room available where the tinnitus sufferer is free to use masking.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I've spent a lot of time in libraries. But that doesn't give me any more knowledge than everyone else that they are QUIET. Maybe offer little clippy battery powered fans at the front desk so they can carry it around and clip it to tables so that it isn't very distracting to the other patrons.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      The Librarian

The Librarian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thank you for your comments. I do not know why but I never thought about having a specific room for masking in the library. This is why your input is so important to library staff. We miss so much.

• Like Like x 1