Lidocaine Temporarily Diminished My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by KingRoanoke, Dec 12, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. KingRoanoke

KingRoanoke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Look at what the dog is wearing.
      This was a very bizarre experience. I went to the dentist for a root canal. I was very resistant to the initial injection of lidocaine as I was feeling pain during the surgery. The dentist eventually injected my jaw with a lot of Lidocaine - much more than he initially thought was needed. And my T seemed....gone. As I was leaving I couldn't hear my T at all. It could have been there, but at a lower level - I didn't hear it though. I later went online and checked and it seems this is a strange phenomenon.

Are currently researched treatments for T looking at Lidocaine's potential mechanism of action?

Pretty cool that there actually is a thing like this, though! Not cool enough for me to go to the dentist more often, though. Hence the root canal.... :/
      • Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Mpt

Mpt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      interesting that you posted this today... this is the avenue that should have been explored 20 years ago as this phenomenon with lidocaine has been documented for awhile now-- lidocaine is a calcium channel blocker- and some potassium channels open in response to calcium- calcium channels close-then pottasium channels close-- hence the effect on T- or the hypothesized effect--- 20 years later and how much research has been done regarding this-- basically none until just the past few years--- sad
      • Informative Informative x 2
    3. Mr. Cartman

Mr. Cartman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      This is VERY interesting! I think its related to the lateral pterygoideus. Im going to have this muscle injected in a couple of days. I think this muscle is a killer and is able to generate tinnitus all by its own..
    4. Sound Wave

Sound Wave Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Have a look at this. Her thesis about this is also online and posted in TT as well:

Trigger point injection treatment for tinnitus...
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. DebInAustralia

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Team Research

Geelong, Victoria
      Tinnitus Since:
      What is the name of the person performing this trigger point injection
    6. lapidus

lapidus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Marja Estola, it's in the title of the video.
    7. Tha_b_man

Tha_b_man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      This would make sense due to the fact most of us can clench our teeth and get a change in pitch and volume of our T.
    8. luigilo

luigilo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma but little earing loss...
      Maybe lidocaine patch is enough to have some relief. In France is possible to buy this stuff...
      I should try ? maybe. Just like this university in California :

Best R.

9. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Chardon, Ohio USA
      Tinnitus Since:
      Ironic that I saw this just now, I notice that if I turn my head to extreme right my tinnitus is extremely lower. Also have had dental work with lots of lidocaine in the past weeks and noticed I felt human again. t seemed gone briefly.
    10. Beste

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Will this treatment work for benzo or stress induced T?