Lidocaine Temporarily Diminished My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by KingRoanoke, Dec 12, 2014.

1. KingRoanoke

KingRoanoke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Look at what the dog is wearing.
      This was a very bizarre experience. I went to the dentist for a root canal. I was very resistant to the initial injection of lidocaine as I was feeling pain during the surgery. The dentist eventually injected my jaw with a lot of Lidocaine - much more than he initially thought was needed. And my T seemed....gone. As I was leaving I couldn't hear my T at all. It could have been there, but at a lower level - I didn't hear it though. I later went online and checked and it seems this is a strange phenomenon.

Are currently researched treatments for T looking at Lidocaine's potential mechanism of action?

Pretty cool that there actually is a thing like this, though! Not cool enough for me to go to the dentist more often, though. Hence the root canal.... :/

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Mpt

Mpt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      interesting that you posted this today... this is the avenue that should have been explored 20 years ago as this phenomenon with lidocaine has been documented for awhile now-- lidocaine is a calcium channel blocker- and some potassium channels open in response to calcium- calcium channels close-then pottasium channels close-- hence the effect on T- or the hypothesized effect--- 20 years later and how much research has been done regarding this-- basically none until just the past few years--- sad

• Informative Informative x 2
    3. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Mr. Cartman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      This is VERY interesting! I think its related to the lateral pterygoideus. Im going to have this muscle injected in a couple of days. I think this muscle is a killer and is able to generate tinnitus all by its own..

4. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Have a look at this. Her thesis about this is also online and posted in TT as well:

Trigger point injection treatment for tinnitus...

5. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      What is the name of the person performing this trigger point injection

6. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Marja Estola, it's in the title of the video.

7. Tha_b_man

Tha_b_man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/2009
      This would make sense due to the fact most of us can clench our teeth and get a change in pitch and volume of our T.

8. luigilo
      Stalking

luigilo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma but little earing loss...
      Maybe lidocaine patch is enough to have some relief. In France is possible to buy this stuff...
      I should try ? maybe. Just like this university in California : http://www.ata.org/node/1959

Best R.

Lo

9. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Ironic that I saw this just now, I notice that if I turn my head to extreme right my tinnitus is extremely lower. Also have had dental work with lots of lidocaine in the past weeks and noticed I felt human again. t seemed gone briefly.

10. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Will this treatment work for benzo or stress induced T?

11. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      The same thing happened to me after a lidocaine injection at the dentist. It's going to be sad tomorrow when it goes back up to its annoying loudness and pitch.

12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      They sell lidocane skin patches. However, lidocane is ototoxic, so I don't think I will be using those patches...

13. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      No one cares enough to find the actual mechanism of how Lidocaine stops tinnitus, as it's an older drug before they had to find silly things like binding affinities. Since it's approved and used there's little incentive to "find out why it works, either alone or in concert with another substance...". Until then it could be that it puts the magically gnomes in your head on coffee break, we just don't know. It's all speculation.

14. __nico__
      No Mood

__nico__ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      chemo/barotrauma/noise/autoimmune disorder
      Someone was cured of our type of "hyperacusis" or "dysacusis/low reactive tones" with Lidocaine and Procaine shots in the trigeminal nerve in addition to eardrum patches and Bonain's solution dripped down the ET as an anesthetic. It's worth looking into. More cases of "hyperacusis" than we may know of are probably entirely middle ear related.

15. Manex

Manex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced 1995, Azithromycin 2018
      Recently I was at the periodontist for a cleaning and they used Lidocaine gel because I have recession and pain and they used more this time than usual - so much that my tongue got a little too numb and didn't totally work for swallowing. But on the way home I realized something and checked it when I went home. My tinnitus was not gone, but it was MUCH quieter. I had read studies that this was possible but temporary, so I figured it would come back in a couple hours and it did. But it was definitely an interesting hour to have that much reduced tinnitus.