Locations for High Frequency Audiogram

Discussion in 'Support' started by mrbrightside614, Jan 9, 2020.

1. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Just wanted to let everyone know a piece of information that has eluded me for a long time—universities’ speech pathology/hearing centers can offer extended audiograms to the public. Luckily for me, Kent State, my alma mater can provide the service for $20. Apparently some hospital systems can administer this service as well, but I had no luck with the Cleveland Clinic (which is apparently the #3 hospital system in the US?)

I have an extended audiogram scheduled for Jan. 23 which I hope by the time FX-322 declares for phase 3 will qualify me as a candidate! Also, I may try one of the advanced hearing aids by Luna if there are significant enough losses between 8-13 kHz to justify a hearing aid.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I had no idea they had extended range hearing aids up to 13 kHz! I'm going to try to see if I can try one myself.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrbrightside614

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yeah, apparently the Luna Embrace which was one of the first to go up to 13 kHz was like 3-4 generations old by the time I got to calling them. The guy who I talked to was incredibly professional and understanding, and even mentioned that if tinnitus was my main concern that Widex maskers are a more sophisticated masking system. I don’t believe too much in masking though, and my audiologist was terrible at programming them. May actually give Luna a shot now. Good luck man! IIRC they allow a free trial period.

• Like Like x 1
    4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I do not see a spec that shows the range going up to 13 kHz on their website. Am I missing it?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrbrightside614

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Give em a call, they’ll confirm it. I went deep into the hearing aids thread to find Luna.

6. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      The premise is... if you can amplify your hearing in that range with the hearing aids, then it will lower the tinnitus?

My audiogram up to 8 kHz... starts out as a bunny hill into full black diamond at around 6 kHz....

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrbrightside614

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I called Embrace (not Luna, that’s a device) and the nice audiologist was highly doubtful that their 8-13 kHz amplification would do anything for tinnitus sufferers. He explained that there is really no programming available for those frequencies and, I believe, just is blanket amplification. Of course, they have a free trial so you don’t have anything to lose by trying.

Another sad bit of information, I’m afraid.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. KyleM
      Sleepy

KyleM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Undetermined/Hearing Loss
      How high should a High Frequency Audiogram go?

I only notice hearing loss above 15-16 kHz personally. Last audiogram I did only went up to the standard 8 kHz of course...

9. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      There are next generation In Ear Monitors that give you the ability to apply equalization separately to each ear, and mix in ambient sound via embedded microphones (vs musical signal from a mixing board). Thus, mix in 100% ambient sound, 0% musical signal, equalize to target tinnitus frequencies, and add a limiter to protect against spikes, and you've created the hearing aid you're looking for.

Doubt it will affect tinnitus, but could be helpful anyway. I'll probably try it and report back.

10. TrevorSanders

TrevorSanders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure/Ototoxic Medication
      I also attend Kent State and was wondering how you got the extended audiogram. When I went, they only tested up to 8 kHz.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrbrightside614

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      That’s bizarre. I called their audiology dept. after I had graduated from there and just requested a high frequency audiogram. They definitely have the tech to perform one.

12. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma