London Underground Noise Could Damage Hearing, Says Academic

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Markku, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Thanks @glynis for linking to this.

The noise levels on parts of London Underground are pretty high; above 105 decibels on 10 journeys.

The loudest recorded Underground journey through central London was between Liverpool Street and Bethnal Green, which peaked at 109 decibels - louder than a helicopter taking off nearby.

Dr Joe Sollini, of UCL's Ear Institute, analysed the BBC's data and said "it was concerning" as any sounds in a workplace at or above an average 85 decibels over an eight hour period, would mean hearing protection would have to be offered.

"Hearing loss accumulates over our lifetime," he said.

"If someone was on a noisy Tube line every day for long journeys, it is perfectly possible this could increase the risk of hearing loss and potentially tinnitus."​

Are there any frequent commuters on London's Underground here with us I wonder?

Read more on BBC's site.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I'm not but I commute with a train at least this loud. There's a horn happy old man navigating the train that likes to ride the 110dBA (I checked this btw) horn. I've worn earplugs everyday since the first day many years ago.

• Like Like x 2
    3. newbieT

newbieT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Visited London last year. The trains were indeed very loud. Esp the older ones. Measured at 90+ dB. I think it's the same for most subways.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Until November I was working for a company and had to take the central line going out east into the Ilford area. Anyway, one bit of track made the most insanely loud grinding noise for a few seconds. In fact it is documented in this news article below. I used to cover my ears whenever it was coming up, thankfully I switched jobs in December so I no longer have to go that way.

http://www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/new...and-stop-deafening-screeching-noise-1-4972403

• Like Like x 1
    5. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I hate having to use the tube. Last time I was on I had noise cancelling headphones and I still couldn't stand the sound levels.

Add to that there are always windows open so it sounds even louder than it needs to.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. newbieT

newbieT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      ahh yes I remmeber the older trains had no AC and all the windows were opened. On top of that all the noise reflected off the tunnels. Def recommend ear plugs

• Like Like x 2
    7. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      EVERYONE ON THIS THREAD:

Did you tinnitus worsen from riding he London Underground.

I have just taken a journey for work and lasted two stops. Between the 1st and 2nd stop there was a metallic high pitches grinding noise which was unlike anyhning I have ever heard.

It hurt my head and felt like it was in me. I got my iPhone sound app out and it measured 106db.

I am completely panicking, sweating profusely and have even thrown up due to the panic of this.

Am I fucked? I had earplugs in (ACS 25s), but they didn’t seem to touch it.

I am shaking and terrified.

PKEASE PLEASE HELP ME

8. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I have never taken the subway except once in NYC and the experience was traumatizing in itself, the noise didn't bother me but omg the NPC's are so crazy down there. I want to visit London some day, and this is good news about how loud it is...will be bringing my ear muffs on top of my plugs =]

9. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Elfin,
      The underground is really loud as I found out visiting London a few times.
      Try not panic and it should settle over the weekend.
      Welldone in wearing ear protection and this would have helped.
      Try stay calm and don't let anxiety and panic spike your tinnitus.
      I won't use the underground now as my lungs just go nuts with the smell of fumes and for my ears now after reading the article.
      love glynis

10. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It is the constant use of sound apps on mobile phones and carrying sound level meters on one's person that causes: stress, panic and fear. All this contributes to making tinnitus and hyperacusis worse when these conditions haven't been treated. Seek treatment for your tinnitus and hyperacusis if it is present. 100db plus shouldn't be a problem if a person has habituated. The same applies if hypercusis has been successfully treated. Please read my post below: Hyperacusis, As I see it.

I am a Londoner born and bred and travelled on the Underground with no problems at all. Although I now live on the South Coast, I visit London regularly and still travel on the Underground without any problems.

Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

11. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hi @Michael Leigh do you wear hearing protection when riding the underground now?

Thanks @glynis inam trying, but the terror currently has me in an awful way. I’m physically shaking and still pouring sweat.

I stood away from trains as they passed as this was also loud (95db). I thought it would be quieter on them. It was mostly (around 85db) until we hit that metallic noise. Thinking of it makes me sick.

I don’t know what to do or how I’ll even attempt sleep or relaxation now.

12. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Elfin,
      Be wise and if your ears are letting you know they are not happy using the underground after a couple of times then don't use it...
      love glynis

13. flobo

flobo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      25-30 minutes of first ever concert
      I travel to London very often. Ever since T, i mostly avoid the underground or keep to modern lines with AC trains.

For exemple, i never take the northern line anymore and prefer to use the overground or do a detour via lines using newer stock (the circle line is much quieter for exemple).

And now, that's what i do. Whenever i go to a new city, i try to keep to subway lines using stock build in the last decade (wikipedia has good lists thanksfully).

14. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Are you new to T? It says you have had it since 2004?

15. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      @glynis i won’t be using it again, ever. Unless it’s radically overhauled.

Would you expect this exposure to settle?

It was about 15 minutes down there, but a minute or two of extreme noise that I was unprepared for

I am praying I am ok

16. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Elfin,
      I don't think it will give you a permanent spike so please try calm down.
      If it helps you could ring your out of hours doctor whom may give you prednisalone but I think you will be fine.
      love glynis

17. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Shit, this was on the Northern line from Kentish Town to Euston.

It was ungodly. How people do it everyday with earbuds etc in as well, I’ll never know

18. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Got it first in 2004 and then habituated (around 2010). Came back last year even worse and is still causing lasting distress

19. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have had tinnitus for 22 years and have habituated twice. My tinnitus increased severely in 2008 and it took 4 years to habituate. My Hyperacusis has been completely cured for 20 years. My hyperacusis was so severe when in conversation with anyone I had to ask them to please lower their voice. I don't wear ear protection on the Underground and even where I now live in Brighton, which I mentioned in my post: Hyperacusis, As I see it. I went to a venue where the sound level was 100 decibels constantly and stayed their for 30mins, I wasn't troubled in the slightest.

It is stress, panic, fear and negative thinking that causes a lot of phobia towards sound. This can become a big problem if one isn't careful. Please click on the link below and read another post. If you have hyperacusis then you will be affected by loud sounds, so try and seek treatment.

Michael

PS: I only use hearing protection when using electric power tools around my home or using my petrol lawn mower and strimmer.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-complexities-of-tinnitus-and-hyperacusis.25733/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      This was the wedding incident right? This happened a while ago? There's a chance your spike might still fade over time. Did you stay in the venue the entire time? Or did you take breaks and go outside?

21. flobo

flobo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      25-30 minutes of first ever concert
      Well, life before T was different. I don't even remember thinking once the northern line was loud in the past. Crowded, hot, yeah, but loud, nope. I used to take it between London Bridge & Kings Cross every time i came to London.

Then after T, did it once, was terrified by the noise and devised that "use only route with
      newer stock" strategy.

Maybe i'm paranoid but i feel safer that way.

This one time did not do any permanent damage to me.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    22. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      The tube can be crazily loud sometimes - I'm so glad that I don't live in London anymore.

I shouldn't worry too much - the high sound you experienced is certainly loud enough to lead to a spike in tinnitus, but as you weren't exposed to the sound for a long period of time it is unlikely to lead to permanent damage.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      @Elfin It's all about what works for you. I personally wear protection if I have to use the underground as the noise levels are ridiculous and it always spikes my tinnitus. Especially if windows are open.

If you spike afterwards then using protection is the wisest move.

As for damage, according to the currently quoted levels you aren't likely to be exposed for long enough to have permanent damage.

• Like Like x 2
    24. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      @Elfin

Up till November last year I used to take the central line to work.

One part of the journey has a similar metallic noise which was awful.

I would cover my ears everytime and i knew which part of the journey it would happen.

Fortunately it only lasted a few seconds but it was still horrible.

25. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      UPDATE:

ears horribly spiked since this incident, along with anxiety and obvious depression.

I keep praying that the plugs did protect me, even though the noise was ungodly. I keep thinking about it and ruminating about it and am noticing increased sensitivity to other sounds.

I do not know how much more I can take of this.

it's taking me very, very low.

26. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      thanks for replying @Sam Bridge - would you wear plugs for the journey or just cover ears at that point?

27. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Covered ears just for that bit, I was only on there for ten mins each way and half of it was overground so it was ok generally, apart from that bit.

Hope your okay now?

28. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Wish I could say I was @Sam Bridge unfortunately I am in the downward spiral currently.

That includes spiking, listening for worsening, paying much more attention to it and indeed worrying. Can’t stop thinking about it. Feeling regret and self loathing...”I should have known better”, “why even risk it?” type of thoughts and just replaying the entire thing over and over and over again in my mind.

Feel like I’ve f*cked up myself and my entire life and future for 10 minutes of stupidity.

29. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
    30. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Elfin,
      I have replied to you on your support thread...
      Try not to dwell on your train journey with the loud sound and re focus on what you can do to get through it so it does not drag you down.

love glynis x

• Like Like x 1