Looking Back

Discussion in 'Support' started by Emil Mikalsen, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Emil Mikalsen
      Curious

Emil Mikalsen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10.2013 - concert
      Hey
      sometimes when i think back at memories, i feel like i had T at that time too. anyone else having this? :confused:
      Is my brain forgetting what silence is like?
      I've had T for 10 months now - after a concert.

2. Roger

Roger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Hello Emil,
      this is a really interesting point. I sometimes reflect on some specific moments before I 'got' tinnitus in July last year. I remember moments years ago when I'd be out bush in the dead quiet of night and I'd remark to myself things like, "Wow, this silence is noisy, almost deafening!". Maybe the noise has always been there, but our filters have broken a bit more recently.
      Its one of the reasons I don't talk about Tinnitus with my family or friends. I'd hate for them to go hunting for the noise out of curiosity...and find it!!
      Cheers, here's to some quieter days,
      Rog

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. iAzra
      Curious

iAzra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, Stress, Nose hit
      Yup I remember one time after a lonf drive stoping in one quiet vilage an it was so quiet that I could hear some noise.. but I just took my mind of of it.. And also I remember summer few months prior T onset, I was swimming in a sea in the morning, it was really quet and nice, only me there and that's the memory of silence I try to hold on to, not to forget..

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Same here - I do remember being in very quiet places and noticing 'the hummm' in the background. It wasn't as high as my T now, but some sort of a sound like sensation anyway. I do believe T is mostly about brain being able to, or not, filter sound sensations away.

5. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Me too. When I was small I would often think about the noisy silence; I used to hear a white noise sound, of course only if I listened for it and way quieter than it is today.

6. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Never had any form of noise in my ears/head before. I cannot even remember fleeting T or any T after a concert. Maybe therefore it is is more difficult for me getting used to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      I use Bose noise cancellation head phone so I know I had no T before until I took Cipro ear drops.
      Now it sucks putting on Bose noise cancellation head phones because as soon as I put them on I hear my T.

8. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Yes but those head phones are protecting your ears and helping you minimize the volume of what you're listening to.

9. washashore
      Fine

washashore Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      I've always had some noise in my head. It was just my own sound of silence. I first noticed it when I was in high school and it bothered me for while. I quickly habituated to it though and it hasn't bothered me for 15+ years. Now the noise is louder and tougher to tune out. But the knowledge that I've habituated before gives me a great deal of hope that it will all work out with enough time.

10. cowdodge
      Grumpy

cowdodge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I use head phones to listen to my tv and notice a spike in my ringing. I'm trying to locate a set of head phone that will not cause this problem. I have hearing loss and wear my hearing aids under the set I have now. I do not know why but if I watch the boob tube without head phones on my tenitus does not seem to rap up as much as if I had the head phones on-Any comments on this situation ?

11. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      What if you try turning the headphones up a little louder and not using the hearing aides underneath?