Looking for Some Hope — Undergoing About 30 Treatment Sessions of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Collin Carter, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Collin Carter

Collin Carter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey guys, I posted a few months ago introducing myself and explaining my situation. Since then I've been to a doctor that specializes in tinnitus and from the tests he determined I have hidden hearing loss. I'm undergoing about 30 treatments of hyperbaric oxygen therapy. I've had tinnitus since April this year.

Does anyone have any idea how effective hyperbaric therapy is? With hidden hearing loss the chances of my tinnitus going away? What would that even be like, would it fade away over time or just one day I wake up and it's no longer there?

I feel trapped and hopeless right now... am I really going to have to suffer from this for the rest of my life, I've only just turned 26 ffs...

2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I have no clue, what that therapy is. All I can tell you is this you are going to be ok. Tinnitus is a horrible thing and my hearing is greatly affected by it. It can take quite a while, for some folks to adjust and live with this ordeal. It is not an easy thing, each day does take effort on our part.

My formula for tinnitus is this:

Time + Support + Relaxation/distraction

Know that this will take time, it did for all of us. It has taken me a long time to come to grips with this issue. It is not an easy situation at all. People that fight this, are some of the toughest people. It will take time.

Support - seek as much support as possible. fill yourself in environments that are supportive towards your issue. Ask for love and support here, we know how you feel and we are in the same shoes..

Relax/distract - this is one of the most crucial elements, when it comes to dealing with tinnitus. You need to help yourself relax and distract your mind from listening to that sound. It does take practice, but it can be done and it's very important.

Wish you the best of luck :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @Collin Carter I have no idea if sitting in a hyperbaric chamber will help your tinnitus. I have only heard of it being used with scuba divers to combat decompression sickness, (nitrogen bubbles forming int he blood when you come up from deep depths too quickly).

@fishbone is correct, try to relax, distract yourself by doing something you enjoy, and seek support from friends, family, and this and other forums.

As for the "am I really going to have to suffer from this for the rest of my life" question, no one can answer that for you as everyone experiences tinnitus differently. According to your posts, your tinnitus is fairly new (six months). Many people do recover (meaning their symptoms stop) in a year or two. So, again, fishbone (who, if you hare read enough of his posts you will realize is quite knowledgable on this subject) is correct and you need to give it time.

Bill Bauer wrote the following post discussing studies that show a fairly high recovery rate from tinnitus ( https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-over-70-recover-3-studies.21441/ )

So, assuming the above study is accurate, you have a fairly good chance of recovery.

There is always hope. Even if your symptoms do not go away, you can learn to habituate.

I wish you luck. Please keep us updated on your progress.

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      There's some data on pubmed.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Collin Carter

Collin Carter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Kolisar do you Ave any information or knowledge to whether this applies to people with hidden hearing loss or noise induced tinnitus resolving within a 2 year period? And how likely thus may be. Could use all the hope I can get.

6. yahoo888

yahoo888 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown maybe loud volum vai ear plug
      may I know how your doctor found out you had hidden hearing loss. we are im the same boat, good on normal range hearing test. but I cant hear anything above 11khz

7. Dmitriy
      Relaxed

Dmitriy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot Exposure
      Good luck to you and please post updates.

8. hoppy

hoppy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Hi,
      It’s been a year since.
      How are you now ?
      Did the HBOT help you ?