Losing Hearing in Car

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jkph75, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Lately, I have been losing my hearing in the car. My ear feels full with pressure. After I get out of the car, it takes hours for the pressure to leave and my hearing to come back. Anyone ever have this happen? I think it must be something pretty bad

2. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Only in one ear or both? So your hearing does go back to normal after a few hours? Have you been sick lately? How is your hearing before you enter the car? D you have pain in the ear/ears?

It sounds like a blocked Eustachian tube. You might try chewing gum to promote opening of the tube. If that doesn't make any difference, you might be experiencing the early stages of otitis media (fluid in the middle ear).

At any rate, you should have yourself checked out by a doctor.

• Like Like x 1
    3. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      I would second the suggestion that there might be something up with your Eustachian tube. I get similar effects in my car of my ear plugging up and then opening up but that's only when I'm changing altitude, going up or down hill.

4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I have heard of this stuff on an airplane, never a car. Go see a Ent or GP and see what they say.

Best of luck!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Thanks. I have an appointment next week. Sometimes I can't open my eustachian tube, but I also have really bad tinnitus with a low drone. At first, I thought eustachian tube too. Now I'm thinking it's just another sign of Hydrops.

6. dipp
      Moonlighting

dipp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Maybe stress and acoustic trauma
      Hi @Jkph75. What has the doctor said?
      I'm having similar symptoms.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      They don't know what is wrong with me. Your problem is most likely due to a problem with your eustachian tube. I have several things wrong with me which most likely don't apply to you. Any ENT should be able to help you.