Louder Tinnitus When Talking to Someone

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nanny chocolate, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Nanny chocolate

Nanny chocolate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable caused by audiologist!
      My tinnitus has become much worse since the end of 2017. Anyone have any idea why it escalates when I’m having a conversation with someone? It just becomes extremely heightened.

Could it be teeth clenching that I do unconsciously but frequently? My ears are going mad now and my ears and teeth hurt. Is tension or anxiety. I’m hard of hearing but have been told I speak softly. So fed up and miserable.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      It can be due to clenching and jaw movement.
      Have a read up on TMJ.
      Love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nanny chocolate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you Glynis. I will as I do this unconsciously all the time and then suffer for it. I saw an ENT Consultant last Friday but he didn’t comment on it. Need a new mouth guard for night too. Little people screaming didn’t help with stress either. Eve

4. TCR

TCR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Operation on left ear, then braces for 5 years
      I may have the same experience. When I do a lot of talking I find the T noise (I have a loud, pulsatile hiss in R ear and a buzz in the left) gets louder. the hissing increases until I can barely hear. I think it may have something to do with the neck muscles. If i massage the front neck (sternocleidomastoid, I think it's called) the noise seems to become more quiet. You could also have some TMJ issues and have the jaw involved. Massage and heat of the jaw and neck might help. Good luck to you.

5. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Hyperacusis/reactive tinnitus?
      My neck, jaw, throat, sides of tongue, even teeth rarely, head all hurt more when my H worsens. Thinking sounds maybe causing things inside the ear to swell and tense up and have flow on effect to these other areas.

I’ve noticed recently my middle ear area tensing up inside as a result of noise (some not even very loud) and T increases progressively. Then it subsides when I go somewhere quiet.

Agreed that massaging neck and jaw and applying heat (even hot shower) can help at least a bit. I also have TTTS as a result of acoustic incidences.

6. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Why do you think your t has worsened since the end of 2017?

Do you suffer with hyperacusis? If so, your t may react to certain sounds like voices. Mine does. So does many others here.

Have you had a recent audiogram and dental check, including assessing for tmj?

If you are hard of hearing, do you wear hearing aides to assist you ? You probably know that your audio can fit you with hearing aides with inbuilt maskers now?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nanny chocolate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Deb
      I think it was the changing dose of setraline!!
      I have moderate high frequency hearing loss
      so am not a candidate for maskers. The hearing therapist tried them for me when she gave me some hearing aids. I’ve had a breakdown, so I think the anxiety and meds both make for severe jaw clenching which also makes T worse . It seems that my audio gram has not changed dramatically from 20 years ago but it feels as if it has when done two weeks ago.
      Dentist yesterday took impressions for new mouth guard and will then check for the bite.
      I don’t feel as if my T reacts to sound but who knows. I’m so miserable and now angry. I think T is the internal angry scream.
      I’m trying homeopathy and hypnosis and all the anger from times when I suppressed is now bubbling away. The homeopathist said I would be angry and by golly she is right. Screaming in the shower and I’m
      usually so composed.
      Maybe anxiety when talking makes T worse, I just don’t know. Yesterday wasn’t too bad but today want to cry with it all.
      Wimp is me today!!
      Eve

• Like Like x 1