Love Music Way Too Much, Even Beyond My Own Hearing!

Discussion in 'Support' started by MrLowBot, Mar 29, 2017.

1. MrLowBot
      Alienated

MrLowBot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music (loud noise)
      I have had T for almost two years now. I always listen to music to and from school in the bus. I know that it really isn't good to do so but I just have nothing to do and I really love music!

I've been considering outer ear headphones just because less goes in to the ear canal but I still worry of the long time effect this will have on me.

I tested myself on a website (i know that's dumb) but it was a sound sample that tested 22 kHz to 8 kHz. I could only hear from 17000 and down. Which is good, don't get me wrong, but I am 18.
      I really fear the worst as I grow but I just don't want to lay down the music!

What do you think?
      Anything helps, thanks!

2. NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011, got worse 09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      If you insist on listening to music while on the bus and so on, you should indeed switch from in-ear plugs to headphones as soon as possible. There are always risks, but that's the first step away from blasting your ears with something they possibly cannot cope with, since you already have T. What I'd also recommend is to get a high quality pair of noise-cancellation headphones. That way you could keep the music volume much lower than when you need to set it over all the other noise surrounding you. Invest into your future, since if you lose hearing over time or your T gets worse, that's when you eventually do lose music from your life. Bose QuietComfort 35 are really high quality noise-cancelling headphones and therefore they are pricey - but they would prolly be my only choice if I were to listen music while in loud(ish) environments.

I used to love isolating myself from dull bus rides and anxiety-triggering shopping malls etc. by listening to music suitable to my mood. It was such an important way for me to relax and even escape panic. Now I can't do that anymore and it was a hard thing giving it up. I still miss listening to music, since I often travel ≥1.5 hours by bus per day. But I noticed it makes my T spike and I don't want any risks to make it worse than it already is - I got mild T in 2011 but have made a few mistakes afterwards, and I don't want to regret anything like them, anymore. So right now I'm putting my health and well-being first and trying to find other things to enjoy - while still being able to enjoy music from speakers at home. I actually started playing these choose-your-own-adventure type of mobile games and they make a nice entertainment at least, for those long bus rides.

Anyway, perhaps there is a solution for you as well - whether it is noise-cancelling headphones or trying to switch a this habit into something else?

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      I think if you really love music, you will buy a good audio system to play your favorite songs at home, at moderate volume but with a very high sound quality.

And I think you could do something else in the bus, like talking to people or reading a book.

Headphones won't do you any good in the short/mid/long term and you know that.

And trust me, you don't love music beyond your own hearing. Without your own hearing there is NO music and you don't want to get there, like I did.

You're 18, you're asking the right questions so you're smart. Quit the shitty music in the bus and love your hearing.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      The thing is you don't get to chose one or the other. If you blow your hearing you won't hear your music anymore, and if you get worse T you will ruin your music experience too. So as much as you love music, it may not love you back in such a reciprocal way.

So if you want to give yourself the best chance at enjoying your music for years to come, you should take it easy on your ears, which means avoid loud sound/noises (music included).

For your specific use case, noise cancelling headphones may be useful as they will allow you to listen to music at reasonable volume (not having to crank the volume up to compete with the sounds "from the outside").

Good luck.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Well said @Foncky As an Audiophile, I used to listen to music through high quality headphones but haven't done so for 21 years, since developing tinnitus. I have a good quality HI-FI system and enjoy my music just the same, without having to turn it up loud. The maximum I listen at is 70 to 75 decibels occasionally and haven't had any problems.
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      Same.

Frankly, in quiet environment, it's more than necessary to enjoy music. I like it around 60db, actually. At this volume I hear everything in jazz and classical music, I can feel "the rumbles" in EDM (my guilty pleasure). I might turn up the volume occasionally to 70-75 for this ONE song I just really want to listen to at the moment.

I do miss headphones though. A lot. I walk (at least) 1h (2x30mins to and from uni) a day, sometimes twice as much and it gets SO DAMN BORING. I wish I could listen to podcasts, but well, health first.

7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I used to miss listening to music through headphones but now I don't even think about them. I consider them to be dangerous and wish they were never invented or at least somehow limited to how loud they can go.
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1