Lowering Blood Pressure in Order to Lower Tinnitus — Worth a Try?!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Emmi, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Emmi
      Not amused

Emmi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Hello guys,

now and ten I stumbled upon posts from people who took blood thinning medication and had pretty low blood pressure thereafter.. it was quite a few times reported that their T decreased while having a very low blood pressure. I can't really come up with an explanation for this, but I noticed that it had been mentioned more than once. My blood pressure is always around 120/80, so actually textbook values ;).. but I was wondering to artificially lower my values with medication and see if that would have an impact on my T. As far as I understood there are no major risks with having a (very) low blood pressure.. of course I would feel more tired and have less energy.. but that would be okay for me if I would get a reduced T for that.

Can anyone come up with an idea why this could actually have an impact? Do you think it is worth a try?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      No I would lower it by getting fitter and healthier not by medication without doctors advice.
      A nice daily walk can help and check your BP on a BP chart what it should be for you..
      .lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      Low blood pressure can make you dizzy and can interfere with the operation of heavy machinery. Mine is naturally low at around 110/70 ish and I wouldn't want to lower it any more.

4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      In my case, it was blood pressure medicine that made my mild tinnitus much worse, so I would definitely not recommend taking a blood pressure drug to reduce tinnitus! I agree with Glynis that if you wish to reduce your blood pressure, try doing it with exercise and diet instead.

Best wishes,
      Karen

5. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No, medication isn't the way out. Matter of fact, unless you have pulse like tinnitus, you don't need it. If you really think your high blood pressure is a problem, change your diet or go on a water pill.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Emmi
      Not amused

Emmi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      okay true I don't have to necessarily take medication in order to lower it. Foods like ginger, curcuma, cayenne pepper, bananas and garlic can decrease blood pressure as well.. So I'll try that and see if it has any impact on my values.. if anything changes I'll update. :)

7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You have normal blood pressure Emmi. Trying to get it lower in order to reduce your tinnitus is a complete waste of time in my opinion. You need treatment and the right type which I've already described. Save yourself a lot of time and get on the programme if you can. Sorry to sound so sobering but there's really no other answer.
      Michael

8. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I agree with @Michael Leigh. Why tinker with your blood pressure if its normal? I have had to take medication since I was in my 20s due to chronically high blood pressure that never responded to diet, exercise, etc. My docs say its just genetic, no cause ever found. I would give anything to have normal blood pressure.

Also, as other have said, low blood pressure is not healthy as well. You can be dizzy, pass out, etc.
      Plus you would be making this potentially harmful decision based on a few posts from strangers whose health history you know nothing about, and who aren't medical professionals.
      Seems like a no-brainer to me.

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @LadyDi Totally agree with you LadyDi. I have been taking blood pressure medication since my 30s . The meds I take can cause tinnitus or make the condition worse. I haven't noticed this and I'd rather take it than risk having a stroke or kidney damage. When someone has tinnitus which was caused by exposure to loud noise, the best treatment is TRT nothing else comes close in my opinion.
      Michael

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Emmi
      Not amused

Emmi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      @Michael Leigh

I know my values are completely normal and it sounds weird wanting to lower them and hence my overall health. But T is just something that I still really cannot cope with, therefore I want to try everything that I can find. And I wasn't looking for any posts like that, I just stumbled upon them, mentioned in a subclause.. it was really quite a few times reported that the BP was very low and T was extremely low as well.. so I was wondering if it is coincidence or if there is a correlation. And to me the risks of trying it out seem quite low compared to other things. I will for sure try TRT at some point... but right now I still feel the need of trying to do something against it - even though you might be very well right and it turns out as waste of time..

@LadyDi

you're right I should not take medication. But I will try it with natural remedies I guess.

True I can't know that.. and true no facts, just anecdotal posts. But I am unfortunately desperate.. and when it comes to T it seems like it is just all a guessing game. And I think the risks of trying it are quite minor..

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      Hang in there Emmi and be careful what you do. Some great advice has been offered here to you and I hope even during your desperation you can realize the true value in the answers you have received. We all wish you only the best and much success in lowering tinnitus. My blood pressure is normal and I would never try to mess with it for any reason. Hang tough hun and taking a good long quiet walk works wonders at times for me. Get as much rest as you can too. I know it's hard. Trust me I know!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Emmi I know how you feel for I was the same 20 years ago when I first got tinnitus. I pursued every avenue believe me. Changing my diet, stopped drinking alcohol and trying to lower my blood pressure. Read books on tinnitus and took vitamins and minerals of every description. The result was I ended up miserable and my tinnitus felt worse. I then listened to more experienced people that had tinnitus who advised me to take things easy and get a referral to ENT. Once I was on the right treatment I began to feel better.
      Michael

• Like Like x 1