Magnesium and Zinc for Tinnitus Treatment?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bansaw, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Bansaw

Bansaw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dont know
      I have had tinnitus for a couple of years now, but a friend in Holland got rid of her's with supplements, namely Zinc / Magnesium , and I think she also took vitamin D.

Anyway, I was wondering was dosage other people normally take, and what form they take, e.g. is it Magnesium Citrate or other?
      I am also conscious of the theory that if you supplement Magnesium, you have to supplement Calcium. And Zinc also means you have to watch your copper levels.

Any advice appreciated...

2. Aficianado

Aficianado Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I took chelated magnesium (magnesium oxide, magnesium amino acid chelate) 250 mg with 600 mg calcium and my T went away after about a year and a half, so it may have had something to do with it.

• Like Like x 2
    3. Mr Worried
      Dreaming

Mr Worried Member

Tinnitus Since:
      august 2017-july 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ripped the tag off a mattress
      I tried both magnesium and zinc while I had T and noticed no reduction. I noticed my health overall was generally better though, so I continued taking them.

I chose Magnesium L-threonate because there was a few journal articles suggesting it increased neurogenesis

• Like Like x 1
    4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing and now somatic T dental work
      Several studies say that magnesium chelate/calcium is best for muscles and that zinc is good for mouth nerve conditions.

5. Apolonia
      Disappointed

Apolonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, acoustic trauma
      Mg helps me with my hyperacusis

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bansaw

Bansaw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dont know
      Thanks everyone - ...
      can I ask what brand is recommended? I saw Natural Nutra brand on Amazon for $22.95, Chelated Magnesium Oxide Supplement with Amino Acid Chelate for High Absorption, 250 mg, 90 Tablets.
      Seems to have good ratings.
      I'm yet to spot a calcium one, but in the past I've used Standard Process and my doc recommends that brand.

7. Luman
      Artistic

Luman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      According to some, the average person is deficient in magnesium, so taking supplements might be a good idea. I take magnesium glycinate, just stated recently. If it can help with tinnitus, all the better but there's nothing that I can find which demonstrates this.

8. Aficianado

Aficianado Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I use Country Life for the magnesium and Spring Valley for the calcium.

9. DebInAustralia
      Fine

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      I was taking mag, zinc, calcium long before I ended up with t, and have continued to do so with no effect either way. I also did 6 months worth of 3 weekly IV glutathione, zinc, vit c for anoter health issue, and noticed no discernable difference in my t.

I know a few ancedotal reports of mg helping reduce the volume of t.

If you are concerned about your copper levels, then you need to watch magnesium too, because it can displace copper in the same way that zinc does.

I would avoid any supplement in the form of 'citrate' as this is excitatory, and you will find a few comments on here regarding citrate/aspartate and spikes.

All in all, I dont think it will harm you to try, but dont be too disappointed if you find they dont help you as dramatically as you had hoped.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      @Apolonia what MG do you take??? And how does it help your H???