Magnesium for Relief of Tinnitus Research

Discussion in 'Research News' started by calin, Jan 18, 2012.

1. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Magnesium can indeed give you very loose bowels, especially if it is easily absorbable. Personally I have started spreading my magnesium intake throughout the day for that reason. I take total400 mg bio citrate magnesium daily, three tabs, one in the morning and two at night.

It says to take it with food but sometimes I don't.

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Magnesium chloride doesn't cause any bowel problems for me. That's why I like this form of magnesium. I tried taking magnesium citrate, but it caused loose bowels.

3. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey Karen: as a person who has ongoing constapation issues ( I know, TMI) have welcomed this side effect. But isn't citrate more absorbable?

4. ajg
      Insomnious

ajg Member

3 tabs a day- total of 400 mg- one in the morning and two at night-?
      so you take a 200mg tab and two 100 mg tabs?

5. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, @LadyDi

I tried taking magnesium (Natural Calm) for sleep, but it caused me to have diarrhea. I looked up Natural Calm, and it does say that it contains magnesium citrate, which is easily absorbable, so you are correct. It just didn't work for me.

A chiropractor suggested I try the magnesium chloride, and it worked well for me. So, I've been taking it for over a year now, and really like it. Sometimes I take one of my doses (a pill, which contains 520 mg), in the middle of the afternoon, and then I take the other pill at night. It works, and I don't have any side effects, except that I feel calmer!

Thanks for asking,
      Karen

6. EdnaLegume
      Cheeky

EdnaLegume Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1999
      I take magnesium glycinate. It provides the highest levels of absorption and bio availability AND does not cause digestive upset (for me at least and I have a tricky system). it is the one supplement I'd sell my children for before I'd do without.

• Like Like x 1
    7. ajg
      Insomnious

ajg Member

So I've read all 4 pages of this thread 3-4 times now making sure I haven't missed anything.
      What I'm looking for is if there is any reduction in the dizziness when taking Magnesium. I haven't come across
      that being addressed.

Anyone know?

8. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi ajg: My magnesium supplement says three capsules equal 400 mg. So I take one in the morning and two at night. Dont have a major dizziness issue but it does seem calming.

Thanks for your response, Karen. I was using a different magnesium in the beginning that did not have the digestive effect. This one was recommended for its absorption but did have the digestive side effect. Bu for me, that side effect helpful.

9. demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      I was originally taking just regular magnesium supplements, but today I saw Magnesium Citrate gel pills that say they are highest absorption because of the citrate, so I bought them. Does anyone else take this type of magnesium?

10. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Yes it's what I take. Bio citrate magnesium gel caps by Solaray, 400 mg total daily. One in the morning, two at night. They do the trick. But be aware: magnesium can give you very loose bowels. It's normal but if it's too much in the beginning, cut your dosage until your body gets used to it.

11. Glen Morse
      Cold turkey

Glen Morse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/08/2010
      Thanks for this thread! I am going to give this a try. Today I bought some Slow-Mag, Magnesium Choloride, and took a dose, and I will do it later. I noticed already that tinnites is quieter and kitchen noises like the clanging of knives and pans didn't set me on edge.
      I have gone through times like this when I feel like it's gone, and then it's back. So we will see, but none the less , I feel that this will certanly help. Thank you.

12. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Glen,

I'm glad the magnesium seems to be working for you! For those of us who have been taking it for awhile, it really does seem to take the edge off the tinnitus. It is also calming, and may help with sleep, as well.

Please update when you've been taking it for awhile, to let us know how it works for you.

13. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Does anyone have any info of the efficacy of magnesium supplements on idiopathic tinnitus (non-trauma induced)???

14. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Hey Karen, what dosage and brand of mag do you take??

15. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, @Jeff,

The brand I take is ALTA Health Products Magnesium Chloride. The dosage is 1 to 3 tablets per day. I take 1 to 2 tablets per day, about an hour before bedtime. Sometimes I take one dose in the late afternoon. Each tablet contains 520 mg.

This brand was recommended to me by a chiropractor, and I like it because it doesn't cause me any problems with lose stools/diarrhea.

16. Liesel

Liesel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2013
      I just got a bottle of NatureMade Magnesium 400mg capsules. If I don't notice improvements in 4 weeks, I'll be trying something else. Gotta' go about this scientifically!

17. Glen Morse
      Cold turkey

Glen Morse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/08/2010
      When I go to bed some times the tinnites is not that bad,like last night, but I seem to wake up with it screeching at me. It was loud when I woke up, and I did take the magneseum this morning, along with listening to my ipod music during a hike. It is not screeching at me now, but is there anything anyone may know about this comming on during when your sleeping? It usually comes on worse at night during sleep. Could this have something to do with more blood being in my head from laying down or something? Does taking magneseum help this kind of tinnites go away?

18. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      I know I keep repeating myself :dunno:but to all those who are taking magnesium ......magnesium is very hard for the body to absorb, so please also take something called " boron" which is found in certain foods, boron helps the body absorb magnesium. I'm now regularly eating raisins everyday which contains boron.
      Google and read up about it pls !

19. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Thanks Karen!!

20. Glen Morse
      Cold turkey

Glen Morse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/08/2010
      Thanks Karen, I ordered some ALTA that you mentioned. I have a feeling that this will help a lot!

21. II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      What's the general consensus with regard to which type of magnesium and intake option work the best?

22. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think it depends on the person, their stress level, and the magnesium level they are currently at (determined by a blood test by your doctor).

I personally like magnesium chloride, and have both the tablets and the spray oil. But I've also read that magnesium glycinate is a good form of magnesium to take. I'd like to hear from others on this topic. What type of magnesium supplement works best for you?

Here's an interesting article about magnesium written by Dr. Andrew Weil:
      http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400753/Best-Source-of-Magnesium.html

You can also make sure to eat foods rich in magnesium, such as almonds. I've also read that you can take an Epsom salts foot bath to up your magnesium intake.

23. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Thanks Karen!!!

24. demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Does anyone know how much magnesium is too much? I'm taking magnesium citrate, and the 500mgs I seem to be taking a day doesn't upset my stomach or anything like other people have mentioned. Would it be bad to take more?

25. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @demi,

No, but you'll need to proceed slowly, so that your system can get used to the additional magnesium. You'll know you're taking too much magnesium when you begin to have loose bowels.

I think you can safely take up to roughly 1,000 mg. per day without any problems. But --- please do ease yourself into it!

• Like Like x 1
    26. II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      does this stuff really help you guys?

27. Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      Magnesium is known to reduce anxiety which probably reduces t volume?

28. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, magnesium does help me. What it did first was to calm me down; now that I've been taking it for awhile (over a year), I have noticed a difference in my tinnitus. Don't know if it's habituation, the supplement I'm taking, or the combined effect of both. But whatever it is, it's working!

29. Glen Morse
      Cold turkey

Glen Morse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/08/2010
      Yesterday I recieved a bottle of Swanson Ultra Magnesium oil. I sprayed it on my torso and rubed it in,early in the day, then I also started drinking Briggs organic apple cider vinegar later that day, because I read a post about it. I did the same today, sprayed the oil on, about a Tbl. spoon, early, then the vinegar (2tsp. 3 times a day), and I am doing great.
      I got up with T. ringing not bad this morning, Sprayed on the oil, drank vinegar, then I went cross country skiing for about half a hour while listening to music with headphones. My T. has been nearly gone all day sense returning from skiing.
      Normaly I do go runnung while listening to music with headphones on, and that does cut down the T. a lot, but today it has been a lot better.
      I will tell you the rest of my routine, because I believe it all may work together for this result. I drank 64 oz. of distilled water first thing in morning, well that cleaned me out if you know what I mean. Quickest way to eliminate waste I know of. Also I read a post yesterday that convinced me to ignore T. so I have been.
      I feel lots of hope, we will see how it goes over the long run, because I do know better than to count my chickens before they hatch, but I had a great day.

• Like Like x 2
    30. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      @Glen Morse , good to read that. Wish you continued progress, keep us updated !