Magnesium for Relief of Tinnitus Research

Discussion in 'Research News' started by calin, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Magnesium working for me too !

2. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I might have posted aout this before but I went for 5 sessions of Magnesium (intravenously) 1 times per week for 5 weeks. It's kind of weird, you get very very warm all over , extremely fatiqued for about 15 minutes and half blind for about 5 mins. Other than that , no effect on my T.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. MissionForTheCure
      Woot

MissionForTheCure Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      I started taking magnesium last year and I'm not sure whether it was placebo but it seemed to have a positive effect for me. This year I have decided to take a more scientific approach to finding some relief and will start a 2 month magnesium citrate course!

Hoping it takes at least some of the edge off, even if it is placebo!!

4. Johno
      Dreaming

Johno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Today I bought 430 mg Magnezium oxide (90 pills package) and i take 2 of them, one around 2pm and one now. Yes, i know, its a lot. Maybe its only placebo effect, but i feel better. T is the same as before, but I feel calmer and less stressed. Will see, if magnesium really improves my T in 2-3 months.

5. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      You might be better off with another source because Magnesium Oxide has lower bioavailability than other forms, such as Magnesium Citrate (see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2407766).

-Golly

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Glen Morse
      Cold turkey

Glen Morse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/08/2010
      Today I had ringing in the ears, but my new look on this T. matter with ignoring it is helping a lot, and I do believe that the magnesium is taking the edge off of it, so I will continue the magnesium. I believe that I was deficieant in it.
      I have made progress even though it didn't miraculously heal me. God willing, I will be healed someday.
      I am learning to have a better attidude about it, and to learn to go on with my life, after reading a success story someone posted.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Good for you, Glen! You are on the right track; I know how hard it is to keep an optimistic outlook when the T is bad, but you can do it! I'm glad the magnesium is taking the edge off it for you a little bit.

I see that you've had your tinnitus since 2010; me, too! I had mild tinnitus before then, but my severe tinnitus started in 2010. Don't give up, and keep us posted on how you're doing!!

8. Glen Morse
      Cold turkey

Glen Morse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/08/2010
      Thanks Karen, I also had mild tinnitus before 2010, and then it suddenly got worse in 2010. You and I have a lot in common, I'm really paying attention to what your posting, because I know it will help me. Thank you, and God bless you!

9. Leopardi

Leopardi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2010
      You aren't taking 430mg, your body can only absorb a bit over 100mg per dose and everything else goes down the drain. You should be taking 3 times a day to actually reach even that 400mg.

• Useful Useful x 1
    10. Johno
      Dreaming

Johno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Challenge accepted :)

11. Arnold Pierce

Arnold Pierce Member

Tinnitus Since:
      does anyone know the recommended dose? Would a person's size change the dose? Can you get magnesium poisoning? My ear have been ringing since August 1987.

12. Johno
      Dreaming

Johno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      5000 mg may be lethal dose of magnesium.

13. inadmin

inadmin Member

500mg, not 5000mg. My doctor said that whatever the body doesn't need goes out in your urine.

14. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Hypermagnesia is quite a rare condition, you are right:

Hypermagnesemia occurs rarely because the kidney is very effective in excreting excess magnesium. It usually develops only in people with renal failure who are given magnesium salts or who take drugs that contain magnesium (e.g. some antacids and laxatives). It is usually concurrent with hypocalcemia and/or hyperkalemia.

15. DebS

DebS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I see a lot of people on this forum take magnesium. Does it matter what form it is, or when you take it? How long before you notice results? I've been taking Magnesium Carbonate (powder form dissolved in water) before I go to bed, but haven't noticed any difference in my tinnitus yet.
      Thanks for any info.

16. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Magnesium carbonate is an okay form. Magnesium doesn't necessarily improve tinnitus, but it has many other health benefits.

The bad one is magnesium oxide; it has a very low absorption rate.

Here are two links that you might find interesting.

9 Common Types of Magnesium Explained

Bioavailability & elemental % of Magnesium Types

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    17. DebS

DebS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
    18. TracyB

TracyB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013 with rapid increase in volume
      Hello there... First post. Been reading here for awhile. Registered. Kept reading for awhile. Learned a lot. Grateful to all of you.

Wanted to add another anecdotal success story for magnesium supplements.

In part because of what I'd read here, I took magnesium twice day for a month. At the end of the month, I thought to myself, "Well, what a disappointment - I guess that doesn't work for me." Stopped taking the magnesium.

Within a few days, I was, like, "OMG IT'S SO LOUD! And what is up with the clicking, too?!!"

So for me, the relief was so gradual that I didn't notice it. And also it was not complete. But I realize now that there was definitely some relief. The volume/tone of the ringing tinnitus was lowered to the degree that - while I noticed it - it wasn't constantly demanding my attention. And the occasional sort-of clicking noise that sometimes gives me a physical sensation on top of the sound was gone while taking the supplement.

Obviously, I'm starting to supplement again. This time I will not expect results overnight and will have greater appreciation for subtle, long-term improvements.

Thanks again to everyone here. I hope to continue to learn from all of you.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      @TracyB;

I am happy to hear the magnesium supplements give you some degree of relief. What form are you taking and at what daily dose?

-Golly

20. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Help guys! I'm totally confused ... What'd the best TYPE and DOSE to use?

21. rickycyh

rickycyh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      based on output on this thread, magnesium chloride tablet seems quite effective for some members, and magnesium oxide with poor absorption rate.

22. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Thanks - there are about 15 brands if magnesium tablets at my local chemist and I'm totally overwhelmed!

23. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      @Amelia;

I take Vitamin Shoppe's Magnesium Citrate. It comes in 200mg pills, so I have one in the morning and one at night for a total of 400mg daily. Not sure it does anything for my tinnitus, but I take it in conjunction with Calcium and D3 to manage bone density issues.

Note that you can obtain Magnesium in a variety of forms. I understand that Magnesium Oxide is the cheapest and least easily absorbed by the body. Magnesium Citrate (what I take) is supposed to have better absorption properties.

-Golly

24. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I would think that the fact that I got intravenous Magnesium , which is a pretty hardcore delivery system and had no change should be quite telling about the effectiveness of Magnesium.

25. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Hello Karen, Reading your blog, I have an underactive thyroid. not sure if this had something to do with it, my thyroid went up high and then low , dctor changed med . a few times and then my t started 1 month ago.. I also feel dizzy and lightheaded ..do you have any of this ..let me know , mch appreciated

26. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @alifalijohn ,

I do think it is possible that thyroid changes might have something to do with our tinnitus. My tinnitus was first caused by loud noise (right ear only) about 25 years ago. The tinnitus was mild, and I didn't have any problems tuning it out. It was when I took a blood pressure drug four years ago that my severe tinnitus started. I have both ringing/hissing tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus in my right ear.

When this first started (in May 2010), I am sure my thyroid went a little crazy, and I had some strange symptoms, including dizziness, fuzziness in the head, etc. My doctor cut back my dosage of thyroid medicine to 100 mcg, and that helped a little bit. I've read that thyroid problems and tinnitus can be connected.

I do want you to know that I'm doing much better than I was four years ago. I've gotten myself off the blood pressure drugs, so that the only prescription drug I take is Synthroid. I'm taking some natural supplements, including vitamins, extra niacin, magnesium, fish oil, moringa oliefera (for antioxidants and energy), as well as red yeast rice (for cholesterol).

I think that if you can get your underactive thyroid in balance again, you will begin to feel better. Having thyroid problems can cause dizziness/vertigo, extreme tiredness, weight gain, and other symptoms. It can also cause tinnitus, from what I've read. I hope your doctor is able to help you find the correct dosage of thyroid medicine, so you can begin feeling better! Whether it will help your tinnitus I don't know, but overall you'll feel more in balance.

Please keep me posted on how you're doing.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
    27. Savin Abram

Savin Abram Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hello guys,
      I'm new to this web.Yes I heard about 3 days ago from my friend he told me that magnesium is the key to get better for tinnitus, I want to know what brand or kind for me to had this magnesium in a safer way, I just scared it makes t worse..I got my t because of antibiotic and I'm just 23 yrs old I need a way to makes me focus to my life.I hope magnesium can change it for better life.

28. Frederick86

Frederick86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2009
      @Savin Abram Magnesium can't hurt, but if your tinnitus is caused by ototoxicity, you'll better want to take NAC supplement, at least 600 day, better if you do 1200mg. It has been used toprotect ears from chemo drugs and others. If you T is recent, what you need is anything that can clear oxidative substances of your ears. Maybe it won't help depending on how many weeks have passed since the original damage, but it could help, there's still chances of recovery. Mega doses of vitamin C could be useful too, always in adittion to the NAC.

There's a thread for the NAC here that link to cases where it has helped, sometimes even after a long time of having tinnitus.

29. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      I think I got my own from taking antibiotic, my doc. said no, but he trying to cover himself..all the best to you hang in there.

• Useful Useful x 1
    30. Savin Abram

Savin Abram Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi guys good day.
      Ok today I abet to the pharmacy and ask about megnesium buy she asked me what type of magnesium I need ..I said not sure but will refer to she when I got the right type.so guys what type do I need?