(Manual) Wax Removal: Worth the Risk or Not? Can Wax Come Out on Its Own?

Discussion in 'Support' started by edition, May 21, 2020.

1. edition

edition Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2k19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      jenesaispas
      Hi!

Brief background: I've had the tinnitus for 5 months. It started a week after I seriously pulled a muscle in my neck. I don't know if they are related, because I also got hyperacusis the week following the tinnitus onset. So I don't know if it was the neck problems (I still have tension in the neck and can no longer sleep with a pillow or I will get sciatica), or if it was audio (at the time, I played music with others as a hobby). Also, tinnitus changes when I clench my jaw.

Well, adding to the mystery... I have quite a lot of wax in the ear with the most tinnitus (left ear).

I went to an ENT and I declined the hearing tests; I mostly came in because my doctor told me there was a "wall of wax" in the left ear. I asked if they would do manual removal, they said yes but you will have to come back in a week after putting in some Debrox.

But I know that this procedure comes with risks as well. How important is it to remove this wax? Will it come out on its own? What if I did sodium bicarbonate drops instead?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hyperacusis is usually a sign of exposure to loud noise, do you have tinnitus? The most common cause of tinnitus is exposure to loud noise typically by headphones, earbuds, headsets for computer games. Other forms of loud noise can cause it too: Clubbing and concerts where loud music is played. If you do have noise induced tinnitus, then I advise that you don't use headphones even at low volume as you risk making the tinnitus worse.

Although manual removal of earwax is believed by some to safer than Microsuction and ear irrigation this is not necessarily the case. Members have posted in this forum that have opted for manual removal of earwax using curette and have had problems, such as an increase in tinnitus among other things. It all depends on the skill of the physician carrying out the procedure. If you are going to have this, then I advise applying eardrops/olive oil 3x a day to each ear for 10 days before having the wax removed. This will thoroughly loosen the wax making it easer to remove.

Problems can occur with Microsuction and ear irrigation too. Most of the time these problems result from the patient not being properly informed of the procedure that should be taken before having earwax removed, to limit any problems that might occur. However, there is an element of risk with every medical procedure and earwax removal although minor is still a medical procedure. Therefore, please follow my advice given above.

I have had Microsuction 3 times by my ENT consultant and had no problems. She advised me to use eardrops as mentioned above. She has been an Audiovestibular physician for many years. I asked her which is the best way of removing buit-up wax that is hard to remove when ear irrigation is unsuccessful and was told Microsuction. I have had ear irrigation 3 times and had not problems and applied eardrops as mentioned above.

I have had tinnitus for many years and it is now variable: Silence, mild, moderate, severe and can reach very severe levels.

Best of luck
      Michael

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I focused on verifying if I had tinnitus
      It won't come out if its own.

And what are the risks of Debrox?

Anyway wall of wax can be the origin of tinnitus in some cases and you have to get in to remove it, you can't continue with it like this.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Static Sophie 73

Static Sophie 73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      A manual clean is a safe and quiet procedure. I never allow micro suction or syringing of my ears.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      edition

edition Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2k19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      jenesaispas
      May I ask about your experience? Did you do drops in the ears before, and for how long, and what kind?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      edition

edition Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2k19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      jenesaispas
      I was referring to the risks of any kind of removal, be it manual or not. But it seems that Debrox might also cause problems... Thank you for your advice.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      edition

edition Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2k19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      jenesaispas
      Has anyone used hydrogen peroxide for their wax?

8. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Why would you want to put that shit in your ear man. Just stick with olive oil.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      edition

edition Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2k19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      jenesaispas
      I wasn't sure about the hydrogen peroxide. I thought maybe if appropriately diluted it could be alright and perhaps even make the manual removal unnecessary.

Have you done the olive oil before? I worry it will cause some problems.

10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @edition

If you are not careful you are going to give yourself problems. Use eardrops as I have mentioned above in my post for 10 days to thoroughly loosen the wax. Buy the drops from the chemist. @jasonbourne is correct in what he has said. Do not use hydrogen peroxide, it's not needed.

I have also told you the risks involved. Whether you have the wax removed Manually, Microsuction or ear irrigation. Make sure you go to someone that has experience removing earwax and knows what they are doing.

Michael

11. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I have had manual removal 3 or 4 times with no problems. Under an experienced practitioner it is the safest method. No noise or pressure. The only risk is poking the eardrum but they have a clear view of the canal these days with otoscopes and microscopy, so risk is low.

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      edition

edition Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2k19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      jenesaispas
      Thanks for the advice. And what ear drops do you think are best? I was recommended Debrox. What about pure olive oil in a dropper?
      I am in the United States, by the way.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      edition

edition Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2k19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      jenesaispas
      Thanks, Tweaker. Do you have any ideas on finding an experienced practitioner?
      If an ENT will do the manual way, should that be assurance? Should I ask more questions?

Sorry for all my inquiries!

14. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      If you live on the UK there are some audiologists that are very good. Best look them up and try to find some reviews other people's experiences with them before deciding. If you live in UK I can recommend 2 people who trust wholeheartedly. Let me know.
      If you live in the UK I can recommend 2 excellent audiologists who do it. Otherwise research reviews and experiences of others before deciding on a person. Audiologists can sometimes be better than ent for this type of work.

15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Pure olive oil in a dropper is all you need and is the best. Apply 3 times a day to each ear for 10 days, to thoroughly loosen the wax. However, if you are having manual removal of the wax you may not need to do it for 10 days so follow the advice of your practitioner.

Best of luck
      Michael

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      edition

edition Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2k19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      jenesaispas
      That would have been excellent. But I'm in Alabama. I will try to call the office and see if a nurse or someone could tell me if anyone often does it the manual way.... reviews don't seem to be indicating much....

Thank you for your help, and keep on tweakin'!

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      edition

edition Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2k19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      jenesaispas
      Good to know. Thank you. But if the wax is in one ear, I imagine it's only necessary to do the drops in one ear?

18. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It's probably best to mention to the person who is going to remove the wax, whether to apply the ear oil to only the ear that has wax. I think you should have both ears done as there's bound to some wax in the other ear.