Marc Fagelson's TED-Ed: Tinnitus Has "No Inherently Negative Consequences"

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Kendra, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      This video (not to mention the misinformation in it) is horrible and a disservice.

Warning, it does have a high pitch eeeee sounding tinnitus example in it.

What’s that ringing in your ears? - Marc...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Mathieulh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic headphones use and acute noise induced trauma.
      Yet another so called "TED-Ed" video that presumes to tell us what tinnitus is and feels like all the while minimising the awareness as to the detrimental health effect of this condition.

According to the author, tinnitus has "no inherently negative consequences", here is a screenshot of my reply to his nonsense:

E4RLRxc.png

It's because of influencers such as these that people believe tinnitus is "just a noise" and that we have a lack of funding in research.

• Agree Agree x 11
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. WillBeNimble
      Buzzed

WillBeNimble Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Damage from earphones
      Yeah, that video was bad. The poor kids in the comments who talk about hearing it and saying "Oh, that's just aging? Alright." Makes me sad. They're being misinformed by what should be a video actually explaining the issue correctly. They probably consulted a local audiologist or ENT. Maybe not even that, because I almost would expect TRT to be pushed with how bad it was.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      Worse and more disheartening. It’s actually made by a member of the ATA.

“Just released: TED-Ed animated tinnitus video by Marc Fagelson, PhD, tinnitus and PTSD expert, and member of the ATA's Scientific Advisory Committee. The short piece is designed to help people understand tinnitus and why it can cause distress.”

The video didn’t really address the distress aspect well at all.

5. WillBeNimble
      Buzzed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The ATA is the worst. They are ineffective at spreading the word on tinnitus, ineffective at treating it, and ineffective at researching it. Honestly, the only hearing organization I think should exist at this point is the Hearing Health Foundation. I mean, the HLAA isn't terrible either, I just wish they actually got the word out more.

ATA could have prevented most of these last 2 generations issues with tinnitus if they just actually capitalized on spreading awareness, but the number of people who have no clue what it is, and worse, are told it's "Nothing to worry about" is insane.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Thuan

Thuan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection right ear 2018. Sound trauma left ear 2020.
      At 3:19 of the video:

"Subjective tinnitus is a symptom associated with practically every known ear disorder, it isn't necessarily a bad thing. While it's appearance can be surprising, subjective tinnitus has no inherently negative consequences. But for some, tinnitus episodes can trigger traumatic memories or otherwise distressing feelings, which increase the sound's intrusiveness."

I hate this video so much. They say tinnitus "isn't necessarily a bad thing" and that it has "no inherently negative consequences."

Fuck you to whoever made this TED video.

It completely downplays the many people that suffers from tinnitus.

The only positive for this TED video is the explanation for tinnitus mechanism. Everything else completely misses the mark.

Disgusting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      Totally agree - for people with a history of noise exposure (both recreational and occupational) tinnitus tends to be a clear symptom of hearing damage and should serve as a warning sign to take better care of your hearing. I really dislike these types of videos because they tend to talk about tinnitus in a vacuum without discussing the importance of hearing health. I fear we have a long way to go before tinnitus awareness is viewed as a public health issue.

• Agree Agree x 3
    8. WillBeNimble
      Buzzed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Same. It was an opportunity to actually go over hearing health, but they refused to take it.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      When are we going to get a celebrity who actually highlights the importance of hearing health and that both tinnitus and hyperacusis can get worse with continuing to expose your ears to loud noises.

These people only think that tinnitus stays at the same level once you get it and that’s entirely not true at all. If they actually highlighted that it can get worse with continuing to expose your ears such as clubbing and concerts then people will actually treat this condition seriously. Until that day comes people will be continue to be clueless and reckless about hearing health until it’s too late and they end up becoming like us.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Gabriel5050
      No Mood

Gabriel5050 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (most likely)
      I am so infuriated by the simple existence of this video!

We are supposed to make progress, not go backwards. How would you feel if I said cancer or any other serious disease wasn't "necessarily bad"?

I am disliking, reporting and leaving a comment. Probably useless, but I will.

11. Snake
      Heartbroken

Snake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2011 - Gaming on headphones. 2020 - Severe by breaking glass
      We are doomed.

12. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      Just taken a look at this video and to be honest I didn't think it was that bad.

My main gripe is that instead of saying there's no known cure and therefore all doctors can do is help sufferers develop "neutral associations" to these subjective sounds, (i.e. he's advocating CBT), he should have instead highlighted all of the promising proper research going on.

13. WillBeNimble
      Buzzed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's still a pretty glaring lack of information, that. It also lacks actual concrete safety tips, coping out with the age old "Don't listen to loud sounds for long." Going over the promising research would have been good too. Did anyone look at the lesson page? It gets even sillier.

14. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      For the TED-Ed video, I submitted the following comment using our Tinnitus Hub YouTube channel, but for some reason the comment's not visible to others. It might have gone into a queue pending for approval or something...

ted-ed-tinnitus-marc-fagelson.png

• Like Like x 8
      • Winner Winner x 3
    15. WillBeNimble
      Buzzed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You might want to post something on the Ted Ed discussion page of their lesson as well. With the way YouTube works, only the most upvoted stuff will actually be seen, really.