Masking Advice I Just Got from Dr. Marzgar

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marie79, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Ok so I got the hearing aides and they worked last night. I called the Hearing Doctor in LA that has T for many years to double check if it hinders my T. I was afraid that the additional noise could make the T worse and all the other audiologists are clueless.

Here is what he said:
      DO NOT USE HEARING AIDS SO EARLY ON. He said DO NOT USE HEADPHONES. He said to ONLY use background noise like soft music and a fan or a white noise maker. He said that all those other things hinder habituation and that the noise to mask needs to be from the outside not directly in your ear.

So I don't know. I will try to do it that way for now I suppose. I just thought I would share this information that came from someone that has been trained by that same guy who trained William Shatner in TRT training.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Sound devices are best set lower than your tinnitus or at mixing point if need masking to help you cope as its all about learning to cope with our own sound.

Hearing aids work great by amplifying outer sounds to mask the tinnitus like a sound device and give you back your lost hearing.
      I take my aids out about an hour before bed time to help adjust ready for sleep.

After a long time now I can sleep well without masking but was a godsend in the early years......

Hope you find your aids helpful too...lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Getting advice from someone who has been trained by a doctor specializing in medieval masking treatments (Jasterbroff) is not the best strategy for dealing with t.
      Also, I believe that Shatner has no formal TRT training. Being a TRT practitioner would definitely interfere with his starfleet duties.

• Funny Funny x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'm just so upset I don't know what to do. The t is worse today and I don't know if it's from the hearing aides now or being upset I don't know who to trust or what to think now I just know I can't live with it if it gets worse

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      You're gonna have better days and worse days.
      For many of us, tinnitus fluctuates on a daily basis.
      Being upset about it is pretty normal, think of it as a natural reflex. You can try to calm down a bit (pointless, if you ask me) or just wait it out like the rest of us. The first months (or years) are the toughest.

Why did you get hearing aids by the way? You have hearing loss?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I have very minor hearing loss but I don't this that cause the T. I got them to help me with the T and they did. I slept last night not hearing it but dr marghzar said no no no that they will make it worse.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I mean I don't want to be ignorant but why would William Shatner say TRT helped him if it didn't? That doesn't make sense. Also I know he doesn't (Shatner) have TRT training. I suppose dr Marzhargh could be making it all up and it did not good for him to get clients? I don't know

8. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Doctors sometimes only see black and white. Do this or don't do this.
      I think moderation is a good thing. When you feel that your t is really bugging you, pop them in and see if they help.
      If you're having a good day, it'd probably be best if you left your ears alone.

I'm not a big fan of hearing aids, especially for people without hearing loss - but I've seen certain reports on this forum from people who have gotten some relief, so maybe you might give them a shot.

9. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Listen to your doctor, if you think you got a bad doctor, get another opinion (and by that I mean, get another doctor).

10. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I think you should get a second and third opinion about the hearing aide issue. If you don't hear it with them in, then how is that worse?

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. Virginia1027

Virginia1027 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2013
      Marie,

First of all, I love your name. It is the name of my 15-year-old daughter!

I know you are scared. I can hear it in your posts. You're living life one second at a time, grieving your old life. That's how it was for all of us at first. I PROMISE you that this does not last! Things will get so better one day that you will go hours, even days without giving your T a second thought (trust me when I first got T I lost 20 lbs. and didn't leave my house for a year - now I go to the movies, take trips and have adopted a baby!). Someday you will hear your T whistling away and you will have no reaction at all to it. Dont worry that you're not to this point yet. It takes time and lots of positive encouragement and advice.

Just know this: IT WILL GET BETTER!! Just stay away from the Internet (#1 thing you must do!), keep in touch with friends/family and get plenty of rest (it calms the nervous system which is the source of this problem).

I've got lots more positive advice if you're interested. Just respond to this post and I'll get started!

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    12. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I have seen this audiologist years ago, hes not a dr. He is an ok guy but i would not go 100% with what he says..not at all...

13. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      I thought William Shatner got TRT training from University of Maryland Medical Center? Is that not true? So much conflicting information on tinnitus.

14. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      @Virginia1027 looking forward to hearing more of your positive posts

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. newarrior

newarrior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts
      Sol was trained by Dr. Jastreboff in Atlanta..I saw Dr. J for 2 years...He gave me almost 10 good years...then I overdid it on the noise and sh)t went downhill..He eliminated my hyperacusis, hearing stayed the same and my tinnitus ceased to be an issue

16. newarrior

newarrior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts
      Shatner did TRT with Dr. J--he is not trained in it

17. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Of course he isn't. The starfleet academy would never allow him time to complete his training.