Masking and Blocking External Sounds at Night

Discussion in 'Support' started by RudyL90, Apr 21, 2017.

1. RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      Hi folks,

Last Friday I moved to a pretty old house and found that the wall between us and our neighbours is so thin that you can hear it whenever someone speaks on the other side of the wall. This wouldn't be a problem if our neighbours didn't have a lovely daughter who tends to cry and scream when we are trying to sleep. It's pretty loud and hard to ignore. I think it's in the human nature to be unable to ignore a child's cry. Having multitone tinnitus in both ears still, it's no option for me to use earplugs.

Therefore my question to you:
      Do you know any device that blocks external sounds and can produce masking sounds either through a cable or bluetooth and is still very comfortable to sleep with (even for side sleepers)? I found the Kakoon eeg, but this headphone is not yet on the market and my budget wouldn't allow me to buy it. DIY options are welcome too. :)

Thanks in advance for your time and replies!

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @RudyL90

If the property is yours and since the wall between you and your neighbours is that thin, I would seriously consider putting up a stud (timber) wall and fill with sound deadening material such as rockwool or similar. Then fix plasterboard/drywall to the studs to finish and decorate with paint or wallpaper. Easy enough of for a DIY enthusiast or get a carpenter.

The headphone you mention I'm not familiar with and I doubt it will reduce external sound, coming from your neighbours as much as what I've described above.
      Michael

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Sleep phones should help and the BTA sell them in their online shop!

Love glynis

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      @Michael I already had the same idea. Problem is that is isn't a cheap fix either. And I wonder how much it would help to dampen the sound on just one wall. All walls are thin and I was not planning to do it with all walls on that side of the house. :')

@glynis I have sleepphones, they are wonderful but unfortunately they do not block external sounds to the point that you cannot hear a crying child.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      Oh, and the wall is very fragile. If I drill in it, it just falls apart. No way to attach something to it with screws. :(

6. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      @RudyL90 - go tot he neighbour, explain your condition and they should speak to their child...if the child's too young then the parents have to help contain the crying. You're note being fussy, you have a medical condition. Maybe post a note with a bottle of wine that you want to have a chat and then explain. You NEED sleep to face your next day with t, let them know very politely.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      @Candy
      Since we've just moved I thought it would be a little early to "complain". But you are right. I will certainly go to the neighbours if the problem persists. :)

8. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Yeah...hear you...good luck, sure it will work itself out.

9. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I hear you @RudyL90 Nothing is cheap these days especially when paying out for skilled work. However, I think the stud wall and fill with sound proofing material is you're best option long term. Have a look on YouTube there's plenty of videos on sound proofing from noisy neighbours. Since you've just moved in I'd tread carefully about speaking to them, as people are not very understanding with this sort of issue especially when it's children. If it were loud music they were playing that's a different matter and I would say something.

Best of luck
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      Thanks for your advise Michael! I will certainly look into those videos on youtube. Earlier today I found that I do not need screws at all. So this plan is doable. :)

• Like Like x 1