MBTSR — Mindfulness Based Tinnitus Stress Reduction — Experiences & Reviews?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Beth, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Beth
      Inspired

Beth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      quite a while...
      :)Hi, can we get a thread started on mindfulness based tinnitus stress reduction please? I'm very interested in finding out more about it.

I know Dr Gans will have lots to say about it and I can't wait to hear what she has to say but has anyone out there tried it?

I am using a mixture of mindfulness and CBT to help with tinnitus and have read a few books on mindfulness, CBT and ACT. (Acceptance and commitment therapy.) They all have very good ideas for dealing with anxiety and stress etc but I have not been able to find a book that is specifically for tinnitus and one of the above therapies. Has a book been written? Looking forward to hearing about the experience of these therapies when linked with tinnitus. X

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. here2help

here2help Member

Good evening, Beth.

There are some good books written about the application of cognitive behavioral therapy to tinnitus management, but I am unaware of any books so far on the application of mindfulness based cognitive therapy (MBCT) to tinnitus or the application of mindfulness based stress reduction (MBSR) to tinnitus.

I hope that fact will stop no one from exploring mindfulness as a viable option for managing tinnitus-related distress. The notion of standing to the side of our own thinking and learning to observe our thoughts as they occur without necessarily buying into them, as well as our feelings, body sensations, and impulses to act can be a very healthy and positive step for tinnitus sufferers to practice.

here2help

3. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Hi @here2help
      If there are any CBT books with CDs that you recommend, would you let us know?
      Thank you so much. No worries if you can't think of any offhand. I'll keep browsing the internet. Thanks for all your wonderful help on this forum.

4. Dr. Gans

Dr. Gans Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Hi Beth, I am only now seeing that you had posted a message to me. Sorry it didn't come up in alerts but glad I caught it. And yes, as far as finding out about mindfulness as a management tool for tinnitus there may not be a lot but I am very impressed with what is out there. Doing a google search of 'Tinnitus' 'Mindfulness' 'Online Course' might bring you to what is out there on programs to guide you through the skills needed to help you integrate a mindfulness practice into your life with tinnitus so that you can do (the hard but important) work to heal yourself. At his point there are a few studies that have specifically been conducted looking at the effects of Mindfulness Based therapy for tinnitus but this research base is growing. There are no books, per se, but there are book chapters and articles in well respected journals (which can be found through ATA) that can get you started. Again, as far as audio recordings and online guides to courses on Mindfulness Based Tinnitus Stress Reduction (MBTSR) that you can participate in, you can find them by doing a google search using words like 'Tinnitus' 'Mindfulness' 'Online Course'.

Better yet, perhaps do a search of 'Tinnitus' 'Mindfulness' and 'MBTSR'

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Beth
      Inspired

Beth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      quite a while...
      :thankyousign:Dr Gans, thank you for your post. I will do some online searching to find the information out there. I have a couple of books on mindfulness and I've found such books as, 'Breaking the habit of being yourself' by Dr Joe Dispenza and, 'Get out of your mind and into your life' by Steven C Hayes very useful reading. I've always believed that if I cannot change the tinnitus that my attitude to it must be changed but I seem to do OK for a while and then all the 'what if I'm one of those who never habituates' type thoughts come along. Even if I don't actually verbalize those thougts in my mind, I'm aware that that is my state of mind anyway so doesn't need to be put into words. Does that make sense?! I may not think the words that I've had it for years and it is not getting any better but I am aware of that situation as fact. It's a bit like if I see a beautiful sunset, I know it's a beautiful sunset and react in a nice emotional way to it but I never have to say 'It's a beautiful sunset' to have those feelings and I feel the same about tinnius. I can avoid thinking negatively but the facts are still there and if I follow the thoughts so that I'm facing my emotions then I still feel bad. I hope I'm not a lost cause because I do get pretty desperate at times and blame myself for failing to habituate when it seems to be what most people can do naturally.

6. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Hi Beth,

I was just in the docs (lovely ear infection, just what somebody with tinnitus wants) and I saw something about a free meditation course. It's an Aussie not for profit http://smilingmind.com.au

Not tinnitus specific but might be a good place to start. There's also some apps around £1.50 that are rated quite well, again not tinnitus specific but a good starting point to see if it works for you. Although you obviously already have researched quite a bit.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    7. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      @Beth

Dr. Gans is a leading researcher in the mindfulness field, and I'm sure her program is excellent. That said,
      achieving a mindful or meditative state requires practice and commitment. Not everyone will be successful in achieving a mindful state, and some people may not like the therapy after trying it.

Though mindfulness may be effective for you, I recommend you first try less expensive versions, like those recommended by various posters. This may be all you need. Please know too that several types of meditation are efficacious in reducing tinnitus stress. Some forms of hypnosis, conducted by qualified practitioners, are likewise effective for certain people. Other psychological therapies you might consider include cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) or tinnitus retraining program (TRT). Both are equally effective in managing tinnitus. And each is discussed on TT.

The mind is powerful and able to heal. But not every therapy will work for everyone.

Here are some more mindful links:

This is to free audio files you may download to your computer. It is conducted by UCLA: http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22

Here is a podcast to meditation and mindfulness by Baylor Counseling: https://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/meditation-mindfulness-baylor/id572991148?mt=10

Here is a podcast on mindfulness in a medical context, but it also includes self-help sections: https://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/mindfulness-in-medicine/id430427770?mt=10

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Beth
      Inspired

Beth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      quite a while...
      Jazz, thank you so much. I will check it all out. I have been meditating for some time and read every book I can find about the power of the mind. Eckhart Tolle, Dr Wayne Dyer, John Kabat-Zinn to name but a few. I find it a very interesting subject. Just wish I could turn my mind off sometimes; if I could stop thinking, my life would be so much better.............. :rolleyes:

9. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Undoubtedly, thinking too much predisposes people to tinnitus. I am likewise guilty of thinking too much--before I got tinnitus and obviously afterwords.

But the mind is truly capable of healing; you just need to channel it in the right direction. Then keep it on course because it is easy to let tinnitus rule our lives. But don't let it. Set the tinnitus free!

Here's a book I found on Amazon recently that you might also enjoy:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1572244879/?tag=tinntalk-20

Good luck and keep trying! You will succeed; everyone does. It just takes time. You have many friends here.:huganimation: That's why this board is such a great resource, and Tinnitus Network will take this support to the next level.

jazz

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. DrummerEars

DrummerEars Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to noise (drummer since 1970)
      I completed Dr. Jennifer Gans MBTSR (Mindfulness Based Tinnitus Stress Reduction) 8-week program in 2016. It changed my life and my outlook for the future. Not an exaggeration to say it saved my life. It did NOT change my tinnitus; only the way I perceive and respond to tinnitus. I have also been receiving acupuncture treatment for 13 years and it has helped relieve some of the symptoms, but nothing really helped me DEAL with tinnitus until MBTSR. Now, almost 4 years later, I am still using Dr. Gans online tools.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I did the MBSR which is the same minus whatever that is tinnitus specific.

It's fine, meditation is great and changes your brain wiring, but how useful this is comes down to "will I commit 45-60 mins a day to this, for months straight"?

If the answer to that is yes then you may benefit, but could also find the same information and program freely online. If the answer is no that sounds too hard, no amount of coaching will help

12. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I really hope the studies that say meditation changes your brain wiring are correct, I have been dedicating 1 hour per day to this so I am trying to stay committed.

I also have started going to guided meditation once per week which is instructed by Buddhist monks, this goes for 1.5 hours. I was able to sit through a 1 hour dental procedure not long ago that would normally have seen me have a full panic attack, so it has been beneficial to me in that regard.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    13. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I am considering this. Would you mind elaborating on the course?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. Psych
      Wishful

Psych Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Many moons...
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Here's a mindfulness based stress relief course that is great, and it's free! You'll love Dave, who's always available to answer questions. Pro tip: If you want the fun of a certificate when you're done, make sure and document the "homework"! That will help keep you on track, too.

https://palousemindfulness.com/

15. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I never got around to thanking you for this. I recovered but having another relapse now. So I will try it.

16. aura

aura Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What program do you recommend?

• Like Like x 1
    17. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      • Like Like x 1
    18. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      As you say, it’s hard to find books specifically for mindfulness and tinnitus but there are examples that build around some of the basic concepts. Here is one that is a quick read that I enjoyed:

Overcoming Tinnitus. 12 Tools That Helped Me Overcome Tinnitus. : Written By A Musician Kindle Edition

Similar techniques are being used in chronic pain management as it’s thought that for some there is a similar mechanism. I find this to be true for me.

George