Medication-Induced (Buspirone) Tinnitus 80% Better with Targeted Frequency Masking

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Tom212, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Tom212

Tom212 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Buspirone
      About a month ago I started taking buspirone for anxiety. I was getting tinnitus for about a half hour after taking each dose, but once my doctor increased the dose it turned into a constant blaring ring. After a couple days of this, I had enough and quit taking the medication cold turkey.

The noise was loud enough that even plenty of background noise couldn't drown it out. Worried that I had damaged my hearing, I scheduled an audiogram for this past week. My audiogram results were great, so that gave me some reassurance.

I eventually stumbled upon the Dalesnale - Noise Ambient YouTube channel, which includes a lot of audio clips to help mask the sound of tinnitus. Once I found the video for 13 kHz frequency masking, it was like someone hit the mute button on the ringing.

At first I would get maybe 30 seconds to a minute of silence after stopping the clip before the ringing returned. However, with continued listening that time has gotten longer. Also, the volume of the ringing decreased quickly, which has allowed me to listen to the masking at progressively lower volumes.

I know every case of tinnitus is unique, but the masking has done a lot to reduce my stress levels. Hopefully the ringing fades away completely with time.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Strawberryblonde
      Chowing

Strawberryblonde Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1st mild (6/12/2015) mild-mod (3/5/2022)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HEADPHONES/TMJ/ETD/SINUSES/AMITRIPTYLINE one of them???
      I've yet to match my tinnitus frequency. I've played with the frequency generators online on a low volume and I don't think I've found it yet. I've got a hiss/buzz/yeee mix so no idea what I'm supposed to be hearing or looking for. A tad clueless on this one even though I have read up on about it. :LOL:

Glad to hear you have managed to find some relief using this method, dalesnale has some good tracks to listen too that help with tinnitus. :) Drug induced takes a while to correct itself or lessen in severity. Good luck :rockingbanana:.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. SarahMLFlemmer

SarahMLFlemmer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/20/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accutane (withdrawl)
      My tinnitus I believe was medication induced by Accutane. How do you know that it will lessen or correct? Do you have evidence? Still looking for a ray of hope. I am almost 3 months in and having nervous breakdowns often. TIA! ❤️

4. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I focused on verifying if I had tinnitus
      You should try Magnesium and B6 which cost nothing to try. Also, try not to listen for it. Your brain will hopefully filter the tinnitus.

Otherwise, masking is a good option to forget about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. SarahMLFlemmer

Tinnitus Since:
      11/20/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accutane (withdrawl)
      How do you try not to listen to it?

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      • Have some background noise going on all the time: a fan, an indoor water fountain, rain sound, white noise machine, but don't mask the tinnitus, keep these background noises just below the tinnitus level
      • Engage in hobbies and get active, stop reading about tinnitus
      • Don't plug your ears and monitor the tinnitus like a silly person

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Strawberryblonde
      Chowing

Strawberryblonde Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1st mild (6/12/2015) mild-mod (3/5/2022)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HEADPHONES/TMJ/ETD/SINUSES/AMITRIPTYLINE one of them???
      Yep, I agree with what @Aussie Lea says.

It will take time @SarahMLFlemmer as your mind/body is not used to this constant sound so you are on full alert. It does take time but it can fade over time for some people, and habituation can be possible, but again, that takes time.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      By doing anything else and forcing yourself to not listen to the tinnitus. I know it sounds stupid or impossible, it was the same for me, but it is actually possible.

You know when you are really focused on something and you forget about your surroundings? That is what you should do. For me the best is having a conversation because at some point I am into the conversation.

You can watch a movie, a show, play a game, read a book, something that will catch your mind. And the masking is also a great idea because if you can't hear your tinnitus, then you don't think about it anymore :)

As for Magnesium, I am very confident it works. And it has a positive effect without any drawbacks.

• Like Like x 1
    9. SarahMLFlemmer

Tinnitus Since:
      11/20/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accutane (withdrawl)
      Those are good suggestions, thank you.

Can you be in a quiet room without freaking out?

10. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @SarahMLFlemmer, I'm currently in a spike. I have had severe tinnitus for 34 years. When I habituate, the tinnitus is still there, I hear it, but I do not react to it. When I am busy for example reading, having a conversation, it is not bothersome.

Hoping your tinnitus fades. Try to come to terms with it. It takes time. Time helps the process. As always, pray for better treatments or a cure!

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    11. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I will reply.

Outside of a spike, yes, totally. Weirdly, when I am in a silent room, reading, that's when the silence (total silence) can happen. It is rare but amazing.

And if not, I am not bothered at all, because I almost can't hear it sometimes.

You will find peace and close to silence.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1