Melatonin Might Be Beneficial, Especially in Preventing Hearing Loss?

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Markku, May 18, 2012.

?

Do you take melatonin?

1. Yes, daily

2. Yes, every now and then

3. No, and I'm not planning to

4. No, but I'm thinking about starting

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      @Ambassador, did you try the time release kind? I haven't yet, but it's supposed to help you stay asleep. The brand everyone seems to like is Natrol.

@hans01 Glad to hear it helped and that you gave it another try. The first time I tried it I was convinced it spiked my T right after, but I think I was just having bad T anyway and it correlated. The next morning I woke up pretty refreshed and had a low T day.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, hearing loss, sinus infections, ... ?
      BuzzyBee yes, there is some improvement ;) It seems that I feel really best when I can sleep 9h, the few days I could last week I felt really good, also found the T less disturbing, but not easy to sleep 9h each night as I always wake up around 4AM and I don't always manage to sleep afterwards.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      I have not tried the time release, fortunately, lately I am sleeping through the night with no problems and no longer take Melatonin. As far as lowering tinnitus, it never helped me.

4. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      That's great! I tend to wake up a lot, so I've tried using the (non-time release) melatonin to help fall back asleep when I wake up at 3:00 in the morning. I'm not sure if it really lowered the tinnitus the next day or if the lower days after taking the melatonin were a coincidence.

5. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Do I understand correctly that melatonin is a serotonin antagonist
      Is it possible to take them at the same time? (at different times of day)

6. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, hearing loss, sinus infections, ... ?
      I finally stopped taking most supplements, even melatonine seems to worsen my sleep apnea, really strange, everything that makes me feel more relax and helps on the T side also makes me somewhat depressive (magnesium, melatonine, tryptophan, ...) so I'm taking as few as possible.

7. Adzy
      Transparent

Adzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle Ear Infection
      I am taking Flavonoid Plus that seems to have inner ear building minerals and vitamins. There is a Flavonoid plus nighttime with 5mg of melatonin as the difference. 5mg is the amount you'll likely find on bottles and in the vitamin isle aand the recommended dose. I tried it for two nights. It made me feel more depressed and tired the next day and honestly made sleep worse for some reason. It did not work for me. Prescribed Clonozopram .05 is what I take at bedtime if anxiety is higher or if I need help going to sleep from the TT. I also take a regular multi-vitamin in the morning.

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Mr Worried
      Dreaming

Mr Worried Member

Tinnitus Since:
      august 2017-july 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ripped the tag off a mattress
      Try 0.5mg instead.

I started taking 10mg a night when I first started using this, and it worked ok for the first few days. After a while it made me feel like I was on the verge of actual madness, and I stopped using it out of fear of losing my mind.

I later realized that I was taking far too much at a time, and decided to cut it down. It works perfectly fine now, with no added madness or next day grogginess

• Like Like x 2
    11. Adzy
      Transparent

Adzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle Ear Infection
      @Bill Bauer and @Mr Worried . My apologies. I meant I took .05 and felt that way. So Ibwould likely have to go less than that even as both of you suggested. I may have ample melatonin at night cause I sleep fairly well, usually.

I have started clonazepam again .05 at night. I started taking this years back when I had a chronic headaches and didn't know what was going on until I was diagnosed with severe tension headache. The clonozepam stopped the headaches on a slightly higher dose so I could cope to figure things out stress wise. At the time I had gained 50 lbs. And was starting a new company after just buying a house. And with my wife pregnant with second child. So, lots of stress. Once on the Clonozepam, I started to exercise daily, eventually got my first contract and after about 6 months weaned off the drug. It worked for my stress/anxiety which as you know, tinnitus can bring. I consider my acute case temporary based on my doctor and from what I've read, although the exact time-line remains to be seen. So I'm sticking with what works for me right now, knowing I can wean off of it and in the mean time get some sleep, not every night though, even with the clonozepam. But if Melotonin works for someone on a lower dose, I say go for it, each of us different. Atleast I know its a second option should I want a more natural dose. That said, Ive read doctors do not recommend this, while some do. I say, whatever helps get the sleep and keep the sanity until things get sorted. Thanks for your lower dose mention though. Good to know.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    12. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I've been taking melatonin again recently, along with valerian, hops and passion flowers tabs. The melatonin makes me feel dizzy the next day so not too keen on it. Helps only a little bit for sleep. Tinnitus no better. I take about 1.5 mg. Not a great fan but better than mirtazapine or sleeping tabs which I have almost completely stopped now.

13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Try taking a quarter of that amount.

14. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    15. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Melatonin is helping me

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Same. I take low doses no more than 1mg and usually a lot less.

17. George123

George123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sinus flush
      I have had tinnitus for about 4-5 years now, and until recently NOTHING helped (then again, I also didn't actively seek 'treatment' or anything). My tinnitus is relatively mild, that is it's not overwhelming during the day, and at night I sleep with a fan on. That being said, of course it's annoying. My tinnitus is at about the same intensity, ALWAYS.

With one exception.

A few weeks ago I was taking Melatonin, 3mg, one of these chewable tablets. I took it for sleeping and didn't even think about the tinnitus. I had the tablet under my tongue as I go to bed.

Suddenly I realize as I lied there (and this never happened before!) that my tinnitus is significantly reduced. Respective it subjectively felt much less intrusive. This was the only time I noticed that my tinnitus was reduced.

I have so far not repeated this experiment since I don't think that Melatonin helps me sleep better or longer, so I simply don't have a reason to take Melat0nin. But it strongly suggests that Melatonin DOES help, at least in my case.

• Informative Informative x 1
    18. Robban
      Fine

Robban Member

Tinnitus Since:
      For how long can I take melatonin? I have been on it for 4 months.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    19. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think they advise every few months you shoukd stop taking it for a week at least.

20. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      is there a smokable form of melatonin?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    21. Helheim
      Angry

Helheim Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      Uh, why not just take a pill? It's cheap and easy.

22. melbournejeremy
      Wtf

melbournejeremy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/12/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, I also found prescription melatonin 2mg had a definite reducing effect on my tinnitus. I think the hormone is not well understood and the way it works in the body is beyond just sleep. Many other processes are reliant on it.

I mentioned in another thread that I think because there is no regulation of FDA supplements of melatonim it's good to actually get a prescription 2mg, called 'circadian'. At least this way you know that you are getting the real hormone.

23. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There’s no form of crack melatonin. :ROFL:

24. George123

George123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sinus flush
      Let me add something to my post a few posts above:

I bought a batch of cheap 3mg tablets, which seem to be some Polish brand melatonin. )I did because this was the only type with 3mg and a large quantity per bottle, at a good price.). These taste like "absolutely nothing" and are not chewable, and I repeated my experiment 1-2 times but did not have success.

I am speculating that this *could* be because these cheap melatonin tabs were not chewable and they did not dissolve slowly in the mouth, and I could also speculate that this weird brand may not even be melatonin, just some fake pills. (Judging since they have absolutely zero taste, like chalk). But of course only speculating here. I would need to test more with chewables but don't have any right not.

25. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have tried many brands of melatonin, over the years, and all of them tasted like chalk (while definitely having an impact on me, as far as making me feel sleepy).

26. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      The MidNite brand is cherry flavored and kind of tasty!

27. Chris Robinson

Chris Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      various
      I am sure I read a peer reviewed journal that stated 10 mg had substantial benefit . I have definitely seen some improvement on that does level . Never heard about the diabetes side effect before.

28. Chris Robinson

Chris Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      various
    29. Chris Robinson

Chris Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      various
      Sorry it was 4 mg Melatonin . Must be overdosing myself . I think the 10 mg dose level was for people with Congestive Obstuctive Pulmonary Disease ( COPD ) . Yes and there is a risk of Diabetes tin certain people

30. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I'm taking 10mg pills purely to fall asleep and not noticing any impact on T. In fact it's not really helping me that much with insomnia either.