Meniere's?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Error404, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Error404

Error404 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      90's
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Deaf
      Hi All,

I posted a few days ago and now I'm wondering about Meniere's. I have:

- Occasional episodes of vertigo. They do not start gradually. For example, the last time, I simply turned over in bed and BOOM, I was incapacitated for about 3 days. Things actually seemed to move and I fell over several times along with frequent vomiting. It's like being on a fairground ride you can't get off! GP gave me betahistine (sp?) which calmed things down considerably. These episodes do not happen often - perhaps two or three times a year. In between these more severe attacks, I have smaller attacks that last a few hours with nausea and needing to stay still. Betahistine calms these down too.

- Now I have suddenly developed a low rumbling/roaring/pounding tinnitus that changes in volume. It's not easily maskable by my hearing aid/cochlear implant. It is a bit like the drone of a helicopter, sometimes I get ghostly wailing noises, other times thumping (not in time with my heartbeat) to the point it feels my entire head is vibrating. It is as if a subwoofer has taken up residence inside my head. I'm not very good at localising where the sounds are coming from due to being deaf already - sometimes it's actual thumping in my ear, other times it's in the centre of my head - it moves about!

I will say that this new tinnitus came on after two months of extreme anxiety about something else for which I am having CBT for - can major stress set off a tinnitus attack like this?

- Sounds are a bit distorted and echoey whilst this tinnitus is going on, especially my own voice. It sounds deep. I've also been keeping external sounds such as the tv lower than usual as this seems to start things off. I had one morning where I woke up with no tinnitus, felt great, then went into a coffee shop and everyone talking set it off again!!

- I do not have significant ear fullness but, rather, odd sensations that come and go. Hard to describe. Because of my implant, things don't feel like they would in a hearing person I expect.

- I had a few drinks on Sunday and now I'm 90% sure this made things much worse for two days as it's only now it seems a bit quieter (no thumping, just a low drone all over my head).

I did see my GP a few days ago as I was/am unable to cope with the constant sounds/tinnitus but she immediately decided it was one for my implant centre and refused to help! The centre are going to see me asap but it'll take a few weeks at least. I'm seeing my GP again tomorrow to explain that I really, really need short-term help. I've spent most of the time in bed unable to concentrate on anything, having major anxiety/panic attacks and seem to have convinced myself I have a lethal brain tumour! I have been unable to work, sleep, or do much of anything since this episode of tinnitus began two weeks ago. Now, by coincidence, I don't realistically *think* it's something life-threatening as I am scanned every two years for a type of tumour (pheochromocytoma) that I have a genetic risk of. My last MRI was seven months and all was well.

I'm going to ask my GP for a referral to a private ENT as well to get the ball rolling quickly. I also wonder if my implant surgery has somehow screwed things up internally (cochlear damage is unavoidable - I lost all my residual hearing). I just don't know. I'm scared, exhausted, and trying to hang in there right now. Please help.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Try not to worry ..
      Betahistine will help the vertigo and sickness.
      It could be a number of things so don't panic and let them do the job checking you out.
      I have Menieres but takes a long time to diagnose it but it could be a number of things.
      Stress and missfiring signals can cause it .
      Keep to a low salt diet and take your betahistine and see your doctor.
      Keep a log of whats happening and when.
      Good luck.
      Love glynis

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Error404

Error404 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      90's
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Deaf
      Hi Glynis,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Stress can really cause huge thumping sounds? I get scared when they seem to be in my head, but I try to remember that I don't process sound like hearing people so it may not always be in my ear. I don't have vertigo with this tinnitus attack that started two weeks ago and neither do I have any other symptoms which, I suppose, is reassuring for more concerning things - not that Meniere's isn't, but it's not life-threatening!

I don't know what I'll do if my GP won't give me anything and tells me to hang on for the CI centre appointment. I've been contemplating going to the walk-in if need be, and will if I'm fobbed off again. I just need something short-term until I figure out the bigger picture.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I have sever Bilateral tinnitus.
      I had tinnitus sounds in my head and could not walk un aided and could not cope and was admitted in hospital for tests and they were all ok.
      Still the head tinnitus kept going.
      My doctor put me on Nortriptyline as he said it could be missfiring signals and took 10mg a week then 30mg a week and 50mg.
      My head tinnitus has gone now and the medication helps me sleep also.
      It might help you or might not.
      Love glynis x

• Hug Hug x 1