Mental Setback

Discussion in 'Support' started by Falconfox, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Falconfox
      Paranoid

Falconfox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew, possibly nosie damage.
      The last couple of days I've been trying hard to make positive changes, I've got an interview coming up for a great job, getting back into dating, cleaned up and organized my stuff, shaved and got a good haircut, basically just wanted to start making some positive steps forwards but mentally I feel like I'm slipping. Today I perceived a spike (I was afraid the barbershop was too loud, doubt it though) but since the T fluctuates semi-regularly I couldn't tell if it was just me. What I do know is that I spent most of the day looking for it in every situation like I did in the first week, and when I find it it's like getting punched in the gut, and that scares me. I feel like the final step for me to get my life back T or no T is to give up the fear of it getting louder somewhere down the line but with days like these it's sooo hard to see that.

On the bright side I saw my audiologist and I don't have any hearing damage. What I realized recently is that I had strained my neck really bad just before the onset so now that's my guess as to the cause of all this. Hopefully after some physical therapy I'll be in a better place.

2. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      It's OK to feel scared. Tell yourself you feel scared when you hear it. Do it over and over and don't measure you T sounds, only your feelings. You've gotta try this, I think it'll work for you.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Falconfox
      Paranoid

Falconfox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew, possibly nosie damage.
      @I who love music I think you're right, I'll try. Measuring the sounds seems pointless at best and counter productive at worst.

4. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      Hi Falcon,

You are definitely in the right direction, and it is completely "normal" to setback MANY times before you get to a point where, as you already identified, you don't care too much about T, or the future of T.

Just keep doing what you are doing, and sonner than later things will improve naturally, you will get to that point where you won't need to force your mind to feel good and easy about your T.

5. Sgguy46
      Jaded

Sgguy46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I am experiencing almost same thing. Two steps forward one step back.

6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi falconfox,
      Great to hear your making future plans and thats a great positive move and a confidence builder.
      Try not to worry about spikes and just take each one by the neck and push hard get through it and you will soon build up your own way of dealing with them and bounce back faster each time .
      I know only to well how tinnitus can bring people down fast but try to have a ace up your sleeve ready to tackle the tough days and know better days do follow......lots of love glynis