MicroTransponder: Latest News and Research

Discussion in 'Research News' started by erik, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      I believe NILLS has summed it up well in his post. I have been trying to keep abreast of the progress of this device since it will be tried on about 25 active duty veterans this year. The Veterans Administration is really pushing this because of the huge tinnitus problem within the active military and the almost 3 billion a year in disability and medical costs related to disabled vets with tinnitus.

I really do not see thought what the hold up is. Vagus nerve stimulation is nothing new. It is already approved for the treatment of epilepsy and depression when other drugs have proven not to work.

The electrical device, surgery, etc. would therefore be the same where it be for depression or tinnitus.

I guess things just seem to move more slowly when you happen to be one of those standing in line waiting.

• Like Like x 1
    2. t-man
      Suicidal

t-man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      This nerve sounds important, indeed. I don't know if I want someone wrapping a metal wire around it.

I wonder why they just didn't tap into the audio nerve it's self. I know that other transponder is doing that.

3. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I THINK, the auditory nerve is just signaling to the cortex ... and the vagus nerve is mapping the entire brain. So my interpretation is that through the vagus nerve the whole electrical field can be rebalanced while through the auditory nerve it`s more a turn on/off switch of information ... which would be similar to the effect of hearing aids.

but that`s just my way of understanding something complex that i did n`t study in.

4. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Yeah I agree, sounds pretty invasive - don't know if I'd be down for it. But I do hope the treatment is successful and goes mainstream though!

5. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      It is very invasive! There were patient trials for vagus nerve stimulation combined with acoustic stimulation for tinnitus (like they did with the rats) in Regensburg/ Bavaria and they stopped the trial because if of severe cardiac and respiratory problems in the patients..

6. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Do they open up your head?

7. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      no, there are 2 types of vagues nerv stimulation:
      1. you'll get some type of implant into your chest that is connected to the vagus nerve ( i think the microtransponder is that kind of device)
      2. some kind of ear plug that is connected to a branch of the vagus nerve in the ear, so no implant.

in both cases they don't open your head...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    8. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Where did you read about these patients?
      Is there a result repport from the first trial somewhere?

9. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      http://www.tinnitus.de/showthread.php?3254-Neue-Tinnitus-Studie-bei-Regensburg/page2
      You can use the google translator, because it's in german, Blinks message (06.09.2010 11:42) says it.
      and the user sweetakay (also page 2) was in the trial, he had stomach problems caused by the vagus nerve stimulation and even mentioned that it made his T louder...

10. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      I see. Doesn't seem like serious stomach problems though judging by the ^^ smiley

But yeah, doesn't seem safe atm. I want my T to go away but I also want the ability to breathe, it is very important to me.

11. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Probably his side effects werent too bad, but they cancelled it... So i think they were pretty severe in some of the patients, i mean when it comes to heart and breathing problems, it's for sure not safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. cmurem

cmurem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/05/2012
      The symptoms stand out as if they indicate autonomic nervous system problems.

13. Jodi
      Confused

Jodi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      • Winner Winner x 2
    14. t-man
      Suicidal

t-man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Good. This is one of the few treatments I actually have hope for.

15. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      wow - if this is true it look incredible! I'll take a 26 decibel cut in my t volume annnnny day :thankyousign:

• Like Like x 1
    16. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      well this is good news, let's hope they succeed in all their future trials!

• Like Like x 1
    17. Meestijn
      Balanced

Meestijn Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      minus 26 dB - where can I register? ;)

• Like Like x 1
    18. FourCandles

FourCandles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2013
      Five participants, all of whom were on medications for other problems, did not show significant changes. However, the four participants who benefited from the therapy were not using any medications. The report attributes drug interactions as blocking the effects of the VNS-tone therapy.

This is intesting and very positive. It seems similar to something I read on Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT) in that those who are on drugs that effect neurotransmitters in the brain, block the natural plasticity of the brain and show no benefit from TRT.

19. Jodi
      Confused

Jodi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
    20. Jake
      Irritated

Jake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      4 out of 10? ehh...I was hoping for more than that...

21. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 people is hardly a statistically significant sample size. The purpose of a Phase 1 trial is to show safety. Any efficacy they can gleam from that is icing on the cake. The Phase 2 trial should have a few more people, but they will probably run several Phase 2 trials to establish efficacy. While this is a cool trial, any approved treatments will not be available for quite a while.

22. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      ye but read the posts above, they indicate that if you make sure not to be on any meds, the odds will be a lot better. or am i misunderstanding here?

• Agree Agree x 2
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Another article update from today:

UT Dallas researchers have demonstrated that treating tinnitus, or ringing in the ears, using vagus nerve stimulation-tone therapy is safe and brought significant improvement to some of the participants in a small clinical trial.

Drs. Sven Vanneste and Michael Kilgard of the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences used a new method pairing vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) with auditory tones to alleviate the symptoms of chronic tinnitus. Their results were published on Nov. 20 in the journalNeuromodulation: Technology at the Neural Interface.

more: Trial results positive for tinnitus sufferers

24. Leo1994
      Suicidal

Leo1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hmm hope this one works.... i feel so hopeless these days, 9 out of 10 times i only hear about tinnitus reaserach that is about "prevention" ore "actue tinnitus"..
      Really hope that this one will work on chronic tinnitus..

25. t-man
      Suicidal

t-man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Huh. I use a mild dose of apo-amitriptyline (sleep aide). If that's the case, maybe that had something to do with my noise indued T...

I guess I'd have to dry myself out before I think of doing anything like this.

26. Leo1994
      Suicidal

Leo1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      But, this is this just temporary? Like, if u used a medication that affects neurotransmitters, and if u stop using it for a year, how till this effect the sucess rate of this treatment? Does the neurotransmitter up reglate?

27. Scubadude
      Badass

Scubadude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
    28. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey Scubadude: This one got posted and discussed in a thread under research yesterday, in case you want to read more: MicroTransponder: Latest News and Research | Page 3 | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

Problem is "small" is indeed small: only 10 people participated in the study. Hard to get much evidence from such a small sample. Also interesting was the fact that half received no benefit because, according to the study authors, they were on unspecified medications for unspecified medical conditions. Wonder what the meds were? Were all those so affected on the same medications?

Anyway, I personally have a lot of hope for the electrical stimulation treatment path of tinnitus. So any news is interesting to me. Thanks.

29. Scubadude
      Badass

Scubadude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      Thanks LadyDi I'm sure it was on the forums somewhere. Just a rehashed story then I guess.

30. t-man
      Suicidal

t-man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      They said they would start testing on military veterans so I assume antidepressants or pain suppressants.