MicroTransponder: Latest News and Research

Discussion in 'Research News' started by erik, Jul 3, 2012.

1. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      How to know the diffrence between Tonal or braodband tinnitus? I feel I have a 7000 htz but underlined with whitenoise. Would this work with Vagus stimulation?

Ps Jes can you share what information HIFU gave you? Is there any succes in this therapy yet? What I`m a bit worried about with HIFU is that even if it would help my tinnitus.. the day Hearing Health discovers how to regenerate Hearing haircells it wouldn`t work because that part of the hearing cortex is ablated.. correct? Or would brain plasticity come in here?

2. jes
      Familiar

jes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Hey Nills good old boy. I have a 7100 but I think its the middel of a white russing I dont know if its ok
      but i dont belive.I send them HIFU some questions but all she could say was that the mr scan would for sure not hurt my ears.
      Then she gave me a date for an untersuchung 4 april and there they could say if a treatment was possible and I could talk to the doctors about it all
      I am 61 I wil not wait 10 years or more.What I can understand is that they ablate the deaf high part and thats ok for me. Its a price to pay.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Linds
      Balanced

Linds Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      We are nearly at the end of 2013. Has anyone heard any more news on VNS therapy?

4. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. SISKO
      Suicidal

SISKO Member

Tinnitus Since:

Attached Files:

6. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      I have been following Micro-Transponder for a while...and personally I was hoping for better numbers than what they ended up with. Not to down-play any improvements, but we are getting into pretty esoteric stuff with their VNS approach, and if that level of "brain-electrical-nerve-whatever" impaction has such 'moderate' effect...Well, I just have to keep sighing.
      Back when I was a kid and first got my tinnitus 'step one' (1956 for Pete's sake!), my mom said: "Don't worry, they will find a cure in not time!"...Ha ha. There was such faith in the guys (always males then) in white coats solving everything. Heady stuff. We got to the moon and still have tinnitus.
      Not trying to be a downer here, just objective, and recalling, many, many "sighs" of hopes tempered.
      One day...it will happen though, even if it comes via studying fruit flies brains.
      Best, Zimichael

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I honestly can't stress enough that people should not pay attention to the efficacy results from a phase I trial very much. The trials are not structured to show efficacy, as they are safety studies. They have ridiculously low enrollment, which means that any numbers gleaned from the study are not statistically significant in any way as it is. When you see their Phase II results, I would pay a lot more attention to the efficacy then.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Hudson is correct. You need a. Minimum of at least 100 to establish a true basis for statistical analysis. 10 people is nowhere near an accurate representation of a population.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      Oh...now I see this little icon things that people use...So yes, I liked these two replies from you Hudson and II Packy II. Maybe there will be better numbers as they progress with the next stages. It sure sounded like a good shot when I first read about their work and contacted the company, etc. For sure it seems like it's going to take some pretty whiz tech to kick this tinnitus back a good shot, as it is so..."difficult" and almost insanely unfathomable for researches to get a good handle on.
      There is so much mystery to it. Even just, as we know, how people can blast their ears to bits at rock concerts for years and never get it, yet one loud exposure thing can cause it 'forever on' for someone else...Like me! (Not that it was a concert in my instance).
      Ah well...My bets are on the post Iraq war stuff really giving research a major shove forward as the Pentagon has clout, and with so many Vets suffering from it, there may be more enthusiasm and $$$$$$$$$$$ poured into it.
      Anyway. Thanks!

10. II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      I truly believe a cure will be found in the next 2-3 years. The breadth of knowledge they've attained in the past year alone is remarkable if you really think about it.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    11. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      How can you compare a VNS trial to a tinnitus pill trial?
      VNS is a $20,000 procedure involving implantation, it either works or it does not - there are no "dosages". When a drug goes into phase 1, it is given in subclinical dosages to evaluate safety.
      How can you implant somebody and give them subclinical dosage of VNS?
      Ergo, 10 were implanted and tested, 6 did not respond, I would call that a failure.

12. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Of the 10 tested, 6 people were on drug medication

4 were not

VNS worked on all of those 4

• Like Like x 1
    13. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Erlend, I think VNS is going to work on a very narrow and select group of tinnitus sufferers.
      Seems there are just so many exclusion critera- non-tonal tinnitus, no medications/pills....bla bla bla.
      Ask them if they would offer a refund if the treatment does not work.

14. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Ye if it's only for tonal tinnitius, it's useless for me... But i dont ser why it would be only for tonal T

15. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      because they said so.

16. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Where?

17. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      For now it's for tonal tinnituses only cause they send tones to your ears but not at the frequency of your tinnitus.

broadnoise, whitenoise, crickets, hissing etc etc don't really have any frequencies that you can identify.

18. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      So anyone know what's up with the good folks at MicroTransponder and University of Texas? Back in 2012, they were saying clinical trial would begin in 2013. Of all the potential treatments out there, I have the most hope for electrical stimulation, even if they do have to stick something in my brain.

http://www.utdallas.edu/news/2012/1...-Center-to-Support-Tinnitus_article-wide.html

Also, maybe some of you research whizzes out there can answer this for me:
      I happen to be the survivor of a cerebral hemorrhage and stroke caused by a ruptured aneurysm (Yes, I am one lucky girl to be here and without any serious complications. Although it appears the area of brain death that came through this stroke may be hindering my habituation).

Anyway...
      In order to save my life, the neurosurgeons had to clip off the broken blood vessel. Back in those days (1999), this required a metal clip and plate to be installed in my brain and cranium. Today, these devices are plastic. But the fact that I have the old-fashioned metal type in my head prevents me from getting magnetic-based tests, like MRIs, for obvious reasons. There is an experimental electrical treatment clinic here in South Florida that was using electro-magnectic stimulation, currently being used to treat depression, on tinnitus. But I did not qualify, because of the magnetic technology.

So: Does anyone know if MicroTransponder in any way involves magnetic technology? Or is it just electrical stimulation?
      Thanks.

19. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      They sent me an e-mail a few weeks ago asking if I wanted to participate in the trial. I've not responded (I'm not going to, waiting for AM-101 trials in New England).

It's crazy and exciting that all these trials for tinnitus therapies & real treatments are ongoing. I get the feeling the last step will be within 10-15 years once we have fully mastered restoring the inner ear and breaking up any bizarre tinnitus brain related activity, effectively ceasing the sound permanently, unless you're just one of the unlucky people with REALLY incurable tinnitus :p

I kid, hopefully it's all easily curable just the same =) I bet this stuff is not going to even be a talking point soon as we develop better ways of reversing the damage. And when that day comes we all gotta PARTY WITH LOUD MUSIC YEAH!!!!!! and then restore our hearing :LOL:

• Funny Funny x 1
    20. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Thanks, @Champ. Maybe I will email them and see what's up.

But FYI: I think at this point, AM-101 trials, at least in the US, are for those with onset at three months or less. We are getting a site at University of Miami and my doctor was trying to get me enrolled, but Auris won't bend the rules. Maybe the New England site is different.

21. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      This is what I got from Auris after e-mailing them. The response was very quick.

22. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Re MicoTransponder: Recruitment has started for a clinical study at the University of Texas-Dallas on tinnitus treatment involving electrical stimulation of the vagus nerve with the implanted Serenity device. You can find details about inclusion criteria here:

http://www.utdallas.edu/~sxv140030/clinical_trial/

This treatment targets people with long-term acute tinnitus (at least one year), who already have failed at least one therapy, like Neuromonics.
      Not saying I support it or not. Just letting you all know its out there. There have been some studies in the EU, I believe, but none large or very inclusive.

I won't qualify at this point, given I am on NTT, and intend to stick with it and give it my best for a year.

Also, my University of Miami doctor told me again, on Friday, that the AM-101 US trials at this point are accepting only patients who are no more than three months from onset. He said it may change later, as it has in the EU.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      It's somewhat exciting to have all of these clinical trials starting up right now. I hope that they all show benefit and merit as it will only serve to increase the pool of knowledge available to tinnitus researchers and clinicians.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. Gael11

Gael11 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I have just received this newsletter from MicroTransponder.

Tinnitus Trial Now Enrolling
      Tinnitus Clinical Trial - Now Open for Enrollment in U.S.

MicroTransponder is pleased to announce that its U.S. Tinnitus Clinical Trial is now open for enrollment. The 30-patient study is being supported by the
      National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD).

3 sites are currently enrolling patients in this study and a 4th site will begin shortly.

The 3 sites currently enrolling patients are in:
      1) Buffalo, New York
      2) Dallas, Texas
      3) Iowa City, Iowa

We are seeking patients that live within a 200 mile radius of those cities for participation in this trial.

Interested patients should visit the clinical trial website for additional information on the therapy as well as links to signing up at each individual site. The website is:

www.tinnitustrial.com

For those of you who live more than 200 miles away from the current trial sites or outside the U.S. - We are planning additional clinical trials in the EU, U.S., and other parts of the world as well. We also plan to seek approval in Europe to be able to offer our therapy to all patients that are currently seeking a treatment for tinnitus.

If you want information on additional clinical trials and future updates - please visit this NEW TINNITUS FORM Note - This is a different list from our general "Tinnitus Update List".

Thank you to each of you that has expressed your support for our research over the past few years. The process to develop an implantable device and begin clinical trials is time consuming, difficult, and requires a great deal of financial resources. We know how devastating it is to live with tinnitus and have been working for the past 6 years as quickly as we are able to bring the Serenity System therapy into the clinic. We expect that our U.S. clinical results will be favorable, as they were in our 10 patient study in Europe; and the next step would be to make the therapy commercially available in Europe and the U.S. for those who suffer from tinnitus. Please check our website www.microtransponder.com for news and updates. We will also continue to send out information via the current Tinnitus Update List when we have news to share.

-the MicroTransponder management team

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
    26. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I wonder if any celebrities with T would participate in the trial... If so i would guess it would be hush hush?

27. Piper the great
      Amused

Piper the great Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      My girl friend is getting a neuromodulation device put on her back for pain reasons... at first it hurt like hell.. but over the trial period it really helped... next they bury it in her back... it has its pros and cons... and the device is the size of an Oreo cookie... battery charges inside the body.. not a bad deal... if this works its going to be pricy.... with surgery, and everything else... I would say comparing it with hers.. 25 to 40 K.....

28. Piper the great
      Amused

Piper the great Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012

When did they ever say that..?.. maybe in the trials... there not even sure if they process is permanent.... it could only last for weeks or months......or be on going indefinitely.....

29. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      If this isnt permanent couldnt they leave the device in you
      For ever and just keep doing the treatment everyday to keep the T level down?

30. Piper the great
      Amused

Piper the great Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      I think that is the way its going to be, the company Boston Scientific who has the implant for the pain said its good for 15 to 29 years... but its close to the skin if it needs to come out.. can't gain or loose to much weight....