Midazolam — People's Experiences Please

Discussion in 'Support' started by aimeealex, Jul 27, 2017.

1. aimeealex

aimeealex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/04/2013
      Hi all, looking for a bit of advice please.

I'm due to have an endoscopy next week and have to choose between just a throat spray or conscious sedation.

I contacted the hospital and asked which drug they use for this and was told Midazolam. I've looked at a bit of info online which is very conflicting on wether it is ototoxic.

I'm basically just wanting people's experiences of taking it and if it effected existing tinnitus/caused tinnitus or if it had no effect.

I really don't want to go through the procedure with just a throat spray but I'm worried about the sedation drugs causing permanent worsening of my tinnitus.

Thank you in advance.

2. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Midazolam is heavily used in hospitals in sometimes very high dose ranges for short and long term sedation. I'm unaware of any specific reports of ototoxic effects. That's from years working in an ICU setting.

3. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      Hi @aimeealex - I have undergone few endoscopies, chosen to be sedated and suffered absolutely NO ill effects from this procedure; this is my experience. I never asked the gastroenterologist what sedation was being used.

For my last endoscopy, I already had the tinnitus which was caused by intense, unrelenting stress during a period of time.

I trust all will go well, try not to stress yourself out and have a pleasant day.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Went on fine with mine ...Love glynis

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aimeealex

aimeealex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/04/2013
      Thank you, I had the procedure yesterday and was fine :)

• Winner Winner x 1