Midazolam, Fentanyl and Diprivan (Propofol) — Oh My!!!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Amelia, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      damn. I have to have a general anestetic and the dr said they will be using midazolam, fentanyl and diprivan (propofol).

I'm pretty much shit scared ... Which is appropriate considering the procedure will be done by my gastroenterologist!

I can't find a hell of alot on these drugs - except for the usual "General anestetic increased my T" horror stories.

Can anyone help me out and shed some light?

2. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      What about asking dr Nagler if you haven't already?
      Maybe he can help.

3. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      Hi Amelia

I can't believe that no one has posted in here yet, I'm sure we have hundreds of members that have gone through operations and or procedures like you plan to. I'm going to assume that you are going to have some kind of scope test done up or down or both. I have been having that done ever 5 years, for over 30 years. I have had many in the past with no effect or increase on my tinnitus at all. And I get totally knocked out, no twilight that's what most people get for those scope test and I don't recomend it. Maybe Dr Nagler will post something in here. If you have any questions feel free to ask here or email.

Good Luck

Louie

4. adam2525
      Balanced

adam2525 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I can only comment on midazolam. I've been sedated with it three times. It had no negative effect on my T whatsoever.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Thanks Louie, yes a scope - both ways, and some biopsies. I had it done once before but I didn't have T way back then. I'm so glad to hear you didn't have any adverse effects from the general. I will be going fully under too - no twilight.

The thing is, I'm sure thousands of people with T have operations every year, but not many people speak about T so there aren't that many positive stories. I've had a local since onset and if anything my T quieten end down for a few days so fingers crossed that's a good thing? Hopefully ...

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Hi Amelia. I underwent GA and my T and H stayed the same. I wore earplugs into the OR lol..but after a 3 day stay in the hospital I was ok...hope this helps a little..I don't know exactly what drugs were used tho, sorry..but I was on alot of different ones..blood thinners, strong antibiotics, GA, morphine, dilaudid(sp?), tylenol, advil and Valium was in my system. .and add to that alot of noise!

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Why don't you reccomend a twilight? that's what my oral surgeon wants to give me for ny surgery?

8. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Amelia

I have a friend that has bad tinnitus, and he likes going to the dentist. He says gets a few hours were his tinnitus is almost totally gone. Too bad we can't keep that effect. You will be fine, try not and worry about it. My last scopes were about a year and a half ago and it was a walk in the park.

Louie

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lynn

I used to get my scopes done in twilight until one time they were unable to get me under enough and I was awake during the entire procedure and remembered everything... NOT FUN... So I made the Doctor put me completely out after that. With twilight you are really still awake, but you are supposed to get like an amnesia effect and you don't remember anything. At least that what you hope will happen.

It may be different for oral surgeon surgery, I don't know. I think you are not under as long as when your being scoped. I hope it works out for you.

Good Luck

Louie

• Like Like x 1
    10. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      I have taken midazolan & propofol injections .
      Yes they stop T & H especially the propofol but it is temporal.
      When the action of drug stop the T & H will be worse and can be worse for very long time.
      So it is not worth 2 hours silence for much worse T for very long time.
      These medication is high addictive & tolerance develops in very short time.
      My suggestion stay away from this stuff will make you T worse and is dangerous
      with propofol if the dose is a little more it can stop your breath this drug is only for intensive care units
      with mechanical supported breath.

11. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1MW

Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm not encouraging taking it, I was just saying what my friend told me that he experienced when get got back from the dentist office after he had some. That's all, I just thought that it was interesting.

Louie

12. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      that's almost the same cocktail the doctor injected to michael jackson to put him into sleep :)

13. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      You should be fine I think.

Midazolam is a benzodiazepine with pronounced hypnotic effects - a single dose won't do anything to make your tinnitus worse. Fentanyl is a powerful opioid commonly used to put people under, long term use of opioids can cause hearing loss but I doubt a single dose will do anything either. I've never done any research into Propofol though, I just know it's used as an anesthetic.

If it makes you feel any better, I was put under GA for the removal of my wisdom teeth and was completely fine. This was before I was really aware of ototoxic medications so I never inquired about what they gave me but I remember seeing Fentanyl being injected into me right before I passed out, it was a very blissful 10 seconds.

• Like Like x 1
    14. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      I had taken some times midazolam & propofol for tinnitus when i had terrific tinnitus.
      Terrific T after propofol goes in your blood stops immediately but is last very litle time
      and the next days are very bad. I have injected about 10 times propofol and after i realised
      that it was so wrong.After propofol fade away you will have insomnia the next days and worse T.
      For tolerance i will say that in first injection of propofol i died immediately
      in the 3rd i was not died i was awake and stoned but i was able to cope a conversation near normally.
      Tolerance comes very soon with propofol i think in 3 or 4 dose.