Mild Tinnitus After 4th of July Party/Fireworks

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Dan814, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Dan814

Dan814 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?loud noise
      Hello everyone,

My tinnitus began about a month ago, the day after a July 4th party. I only hear it in a quiet room, or when I put my finger in my left ear or when I sleep on my left side. Seems to be mainly unilateral but I think I hear it my right ear sometimes when I stick my finger in it or it sounds like it’s in my head. Sometimes I feel lightheaded but get this way with anxiety. The fireworks weren’t loud (I’ve heard much louder things without issue before).

I went to one ENT who prescribed Prednisone 60 mg x 1 week. I could only handle it for two days. My tinnitus was not too bad on it but temporarily worsened the 2nd day off of it. I then saw an audiologist who said I have no hearing loss.

I went to a second ENT who did another hearing test 2 weeks later and was not concerned as there was no hearing loss. He did not recommend further imaging or work up and believed it to be from noise exposure.

I went to my PCP and had him order tick borne disease bloodwork since I live in an area where Lyme is high (but he thinks I’m crazy).

I do grind my teeth and am now scheduled with my dentist to get a night guard.

I also do have anxiety and “white coat hypertension”.

I am hoping it is from the fireworks but hope the doctors aren’t just assuming so and nothing is missed. I do trust the second ENT I saw, and honestly it isn’t too bad and is very mild.

Would like some thoughts. Thanks!

2. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
      You did the right thing taking Prednisone. I'm sorry it didn't work, but it was the best thing to try first.

Second best is low level laser therapy I believe.

3. sjtinguy

sjtinguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Welcome Dan.

I would stay away from fireworks and all other similar loud noises, and also avoid events like concerts and professional sports, and hopefully your tinnitus will fade with time. If you only hear it in quiet rooms and are not affected in other ways, you've got a pretty mild case and you want to keep it that way.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dan814

Dan814 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?loud noise
      It seems to be worsening a little and now I notice it during the day. Not sure if it’s just me looking for it, or my anxiety is making it worse, or my two screaming toddlers.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dan814

Dan814 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?loud noise
      Hello,

I am going to see a rocket launch next week. I have mild tinnitus and obviously don’t want to make it worse. I have foam earplugs and just bought Eargasm earplugs. Is there anything else better that you would recommend? Or should I just stay behind.

Thanks.

6. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      You've barely had your mild tinnitus for a month and you are already off to see a rocket launch?

Please, don't forget that tinnitus can get so bad that you have to kill yourself (there are many members here who had to do that).

Please, don't go to such loud things to risk your life. For an hour of fun are you willing to risk a permanent worsening of your tinnitus?

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dan814

Dan814 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?loud noise
      We are going to Disney World next week and my kids wanted to see the launch. I know I have to be careful which is why I bought ear plugs for the trip.

I will skip the launch but do you think Disney is ok with earplugs?

8. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      Kids will be screaming their heads off - yes use some really good earplugs if you must go.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dan814

Dan814 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?loud noise
      Do you think Ergasms are good?

10. DocTors_94
      In pain

DocTors_94 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise/ Covid? / Benzos / Ototoxicity
      The best earplugs are probably the Hearos Xtreme (33 dB NRR) and they are larger than the Mack's, so they isolate better in my opinion (I have tried both).

I don't want to induce you anxiety, but I am suffering an inhumane torture from tinnitus. Listen to @ajc's advice, please. Going to such loud things is not worth it at all.

Your tinnitus can spike, permanently, or even worse, get reactive and unstable. You seriously don't want that, trust me. My life is totally destroyed because of monster tinnitus with so many tones I can't count them. I have some monstrous ones, and they get worse daily without noise and from minimal noises too.

Better safe than sorry, but of course it's your choice.

• Hug Hug x 2
    11. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      I use 3M foam earplugs. They expand nicely in the ear and cut out 80% of noise.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dan814

Dan814 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?loud noise
      So I obviously don’t want to make it worse but what things can and can’t I do? I want to be careful obviously but I can’t avoid loud noises everyday. I have two screaming toddlers at home and want to take them places and be careful at the same time.

13. DocTors_94
      In pain

DocTors_94 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise/ Covid? / Benzos / Ototoxicity
      I am not saying you can't live a somewhat normal life. I would avoid guns, concerts, use of earbuds/headphones. I advise wearing earplugs in very noisy cities, subways, when using power tools or using a hairdryer... Plus I would wear earplugs if your toddlers are screaming, just in case. That's what I would do, protect as much as you can.

But I would avoid going to a rocket launch, that's insanely loud (200 dB) and there's no hearing protection that can save you from the insane noise levels. Double hearing protection would lessen 20 dB at best overall, so, you would probably recieve 160-180 dB depending on the distance. I do not think it's something that is part of a "normal life" of other people. Also, a rocket launch can give possible hearing damage to your toddlers. It's not worth it at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      You are one month into noise-induced damage. This is the phase that many of us became too relaxed and got worse. Heed others advice. Rocket launch, just no. Yeah, it's your life but that's just silly. Be careful with the little ones, my wife and son yell so much I most likely got worse from it. Just relax your ears in safe spaces. Wear protection in loud areas. Concert and guns are probably over for life if you don't want your tinnitus to become hell.

1. Rest your ears for a couple of months.
      2. Protect your ears in noisy areas.
      3. Say farewell to guns and concerts. Light candles or whatever but make your peace lol.
      4. You don't need to be stuck here everyday chronically suffering and miserable which is why people are giving warnings.
      5. Good luck. You will be fine :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dan814

Dan814 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?loud noise
      Thanks. Honestly this is new to me and I don’t know much about it or what things I should and shouldn’t do. My mother-in-law told me she’s had it for years and she hasn’t altered her life and just turns the tv up loud when she hears it at night. I know I have a mild case and sympathize with people who have it worse. I try to read as much as I can but there’s a lot of different opinions and I don’t want to do the wrong thing. I do feel as if my ears are extra sensitive to noise. Not sure if that means I have hyperacusis or not. I will be in Disney on Wednesday and am nervous.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dan814

Dan814 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?loud noise
      I’ve been very careful on this trip. Of course the ONE time I didn’t wear earplugs because I was in a quiet pool, the damn lifeguard blew the whistle in my ear. I’m so mad and my ear is ringing when I haven’t heard it all day before this. I hope I’m ok. Guess I need to wear them all the time ugh.

Should I get Prednisone again? I just finished Prednisone a few weeks ago.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    17. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Yeah I’ve gotten so many of those events where something just happens out of the blue, it sucks.

I would stay away from Prednisone, advice others have given me. People shouldn’t take it for any noise like candy. Seen quite a few folks get worse from it and almost nobody benefit.

I believe the main use for Prednisone is sudden hearing loss. With time your spike should go away or at least calm down. Had someone ring a cowbell a foot away from me 2 weeks ago after I donated money lol.