Mild Tinnitus from Blasting Music in My Ears with Earphones

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by claireexo, Mar 28, 2021.

1. claireexo

claireexo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi everyone!

I have joined here as have been experiencing mild tinnitus for the past 5 days, I believe I caused it by blasting music in my ears - my iPhone showed that “turn down volume” message but stupid me ignored it.

I have been experiencing it on and off, I know this is very mild compared to a lot of people I have read here. I don’t really have it it in the day time only for a second here and there when a loud noise happens like a door slam etc.

When it gets to nighttime and I go to bed when I lie down it starts to come on but if I move my jaw, crack my ears etc the ringing will stop. But for example last night I did that and a gust of wind happened which triggered the ringing to start again but then I cracked my ears and it went away again.

I’m going to go to the doctor tomorrow to check if there’s anything there but I am just very scared of it becoming a permanent thing.

I am also going to stop using earphones completely from now on as I never want to risk anything

Just wondering if anyone has experienced tinnitus in this form or knows what it might be? Thank you :)

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Claireexo,

The regular use of headphones, earphones, earbuds, headsets and AirPods are common causes of noise induced tinnitus, as there is a tendency to listen to audio at too high a volume without realizing it. If you act now, there is a good chance the tinnitus will not increase and could completely go away in with time and you'll save yourself a lot of misery and heartache. Please believe me for I know whereof I speak, having lived with noise induced tinnitus for 25 years. This condition has the ability to unleash such severity on a person they wouldn't believe is possible.

My advice is to stop using any form of headphones for at least 3 months or until the tinnitus goes away. It would be better that you never ever use them again even at low volume but the choice is yours. Try to avoid quiet rooms and surroundings especially at night by using sound enrichment. More about this is explained in my articles in the links below.

If you follow my advice I am confident you will make steady improvement.

Take care and all the best.
      Michael

New to Tinnitus, What to Do? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum
      Tinnitus, A Personal View | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      claireexo

claireexo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thank you Michael. Yeah I won’t be using headphones ever again to be honest as I think this was my sign. It’s weird because I can sit in complete silence in the daytime and I’m fine but just seems to be when it gets to evening time and when I lie down fully that it really comes on.

I am so hoping it’s temporary as even the random spurts I get I panic so much I can’t even imagine the pain permanently.

Thank you :)

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Claireexo,

You must try to avoid sitting in silence this is not good for you. The reason being it can make the brain increase it's background activity and also the tinnitus which it will focus on and it's possible to make it louder and become permanent. Please do not do this. Also, buy yourself a sound machine as mentioned in my article: New to Tinnitus, What to Do? Use it by your bedside.

Take care and read the articles. Go to my started threads and read: The Habituation Process, Will My Tinnitus Get Worse? Hyperacusis, As I See It.

Michael

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      claireexo

claireexo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thanks Michael. I won’t be in silence. I forgot to mention I have slight ear ache and when I lie down at night and the ringing starts to happen it’s like the pain has been released a bit, do you have any idea about that? I have been told I have a head cold.

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI Claireexo,

I have covered ear infections and colds affecting the auditory system in the links to my articles. New to Tinnitus, What to Do & Tinnitus, A Personal View.

The ear is a delicate organ. If the earache is particularly troublesome talk to your doctor and do not try to treat yourself, as you risk making the tinnitus worse.