Mindfulness for Tinnitus Relief

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Carol, May 6, 2014.

1. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      @GlennS

I agree there's no magic formula and it may not work for everybody.

I like birds and creek sounds, as long as my tinnitus isn't in somatic mode and staying louder than everything else. It's been a pretty steady loud ringing for the past week though. What I try and do is to have my masking sounds just below the level of my tinnitus, to give me something else to focus on. When I focus on the masking sounds I've actually noticed my tinnitus reducing in sounds within a few seconds.

However you have to catch it early enough in the day. I started this post in a silent room at 10.30pm my time, with my tinnitus pretty much at its loudest of the day - I'd say 7 out of 10. (I have had it at 8 or 9 in the past.) , When starting to focus my mind on my typing, I cared a little less about the ringing. But typing the word "tinnitus" made me decide to put my cricket sounds on!

2. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Yes brother... we have been “ struck”.

You are smart and your heart is good... I have faith you will find balance and courage and strength to make peace with this awful affliction. At least... I hope we both can... it’s rough on the brain and soul.
      Wishing you peace and strength on your journey

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hello Emma,

I will join you on your mission, if you want. My name is Daniel.

I have a few questions about what to do e.g. can I lie down on my back or should I be seated?

Regardless, I will wait for your reply.

Me... Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

So yeah, if you want a partner, I am volunteering.
      Hope to hear from you soon, take care.

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If you're into this sort of thing there are various meditation groups which meet on Skype or similar to do group sitting remotely without having to drive to a monastery or whatever. I am part of such a group that meets four days a week, though this is very new and I haven't actually sat with them yet because obnoxious life things keep coming in the way.

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am interested in bettering myself and managing my condition by being proactive. I am a complete beginner and believe this approach is critical and will be beneficial to me in many ways... I am a bit scared, strange I know, but I am committing to this...

Emma is cool, and has given me some good advice. I will eventually join you, but Laos is 12 hours different in time, so coordinating things might be a challenge, and I am a spaz.
      I will keep you posted on this journey, this is just the beginning.

Take care friend... thanks for invite, it means a lot. Big hug.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      Mindfulness is certainly worth trying, it's basically Zen meditation on the go. But be mindful (sorry!) that it can go either way. Mindfulness is designed to put us in the present moment of reality. That lasts as long as it lasts, which is why we should try to make it a daily practice in order to effect things very much. So it could increase one's awareness of the tinnitus. Even so, it might be better because it should just be understood as "tinnitus" vs "TINNITUS".

Emotions can and will hop things up beyond where they really are because they bring up memories of past bad experiences as well as fears of future experiences, even when none of that is actually happening. They're simply thoughts, but can produce hormonal changes. Attaching to them creates an emotional reaction. All emotions are caused by thoughts, either conscious or unconscious, but the thought doesn't cause the bodily effects, that is caused by hormones or other chemicals that are pumped out at lightening speed and are initiated by the brain (not the mind) . Mindfulness is a way to learn to let go... w/o consciously directing our minds to let go.

Or to put it in an even more confusing way, it's not about letting go or not letting go, it's about not, not letting go. Don't even try to logically figure that out, even though it's true. We only fully understand it through the actual experience. It's like reading about swimming or having someone tell us about swimming, vs getting in the water and doing it. Words or thoughts are not the actual thing, but we often mistake them for the thing,

7. Eliska
      Disapproved

Eliska Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022 right ear, 10/2022 left ear
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Right ear - middle ear infection, Left ear - neck issues
      @momus, so it's possible to get worse with mindfulness meditation?