Moringa! It's a Tree!

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by calin, Sep 7, 2012.

1. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      This tree amazing. I will post some details and benefits of this plant.

Here is what caught my eye while reading through it's benefits:

Therapeutic Uses.
      Moringa has wide application for treating various forms of vascular and neurological disease. It has been recommended for:

~ vertigo ~ headache ~ tinnitus ~ inner ear disturbances including partial deafness
      ~ impairment of memory and ability to concentrate
      ~ diminished intellectual capacity and alertness as a result of insufficient circulation
      ~ anxiety, depression, neurological disorders ~ complications of stroke and skull injuries
      ~ diminished sight and hearing ability due to vascular insufficiency
      ~ intermittent claudication as a result of arterial obstruction
      ~ a sensitivity to cold and pallor in the toes due to peripheral circulatory insufficiency

~ Raynauds disease ~ cerebral vascular and nutritional insufficiency
      ~ hormonal and neural based disorders as well as angiopathic trophic disorders
      ~ arterial circulatory disturbances due to aging, diabetes and nicotine abuse
      ~ sclerosis of cerebral arteries with and without mental manifestations
      ~ arteriosclerotic angiopathy of lower limbs
      ~ diabetic tissue damage with danger of gangrene ~ chronic arterial obliteration
      ~ circulatory disorders of the skin, as well as ulcerations caused by ischaemia.

Moringa on Amazon.com

There are quite a few resources to get information about moringa on line - including You tube.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Another excellent find Calin!

3. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Looks interesting!

Please let us know how it works for you.

4. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I had a Swanson order due yesterday so I add this to my order. Thanks Calin!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Oh great! We can share our experiences! ;)

I get mine on Monday. I may not take any capsules until after my MRI on Tuesday though.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      As far as hearing is concerned, formal research in the field of nutrition has been very limited, although more research has been carried out in recent years. Some studies date back to the 1930s and 1940s, but it was not until 1989 when it was suggested that diet can play a role in many age-related hearing disorders. Some micronutrients thought to be significant included vitamins A, B complex, C, D, and E. Later studies added calcium, vitamin B12, iron, and folacin to the list. (See more on individual vitamins here ) More nutrients are being added all the time. This only strengthens the belief that diet and nutrition are fundamental for optimal overall health, including the sense of hearing.

Nutrients Good for Hearing

Vitamins:
      • A: Although vitamin A is known to play a significant part in many bodily functions, as far as hearing is concerned, a deficiency increases noise susceptibility and a decrease in sensory function. As far back as 1978, research showed that vitamin A is essential in inner-ear morphogenesis (development of the structure). Benefits have been seen in the hearing-impaired who have taken vitamin A supplements, including those with noise-induced hearing loss. The best form for the body is Beta-Carotene since the retinol forms can create toxic levels if too much is taken. The beta-carotene form will not do this no matter how much is taken. The only side effect if too much is taken is the skin will turn an orangey colour.
      • B Complex: While B complex is well known to be vital for the health of nerves, it is equally so in helping to prevent hearing loss. A good B complex supplement can help reduce ear pressure and has been used to treat sudden deafness with profound hearing loss. In one study, subjects with sudden deafness were treated with vitamin B complex. Some recovered completely while others improved their hearing substantially. Tinnitus has also been studied. After several weeks, treatment was deemed to be successful.
        The following is a break-down of how individual B vitamins can affect hearing.
        NOTE:Do not take only one of the B vitamins without adding all the others since doing so will create deficiencies in one or more of the others, which can lead to other health problems. In other words, if you take niacin, for example, also include a B complex supplement.
        • Biotin: A deficiency produces many health-related disorders, including hearing loss. It has also been associated with long-term hearing and visual complications.
        • Folacin: Although folacin is the official term, it can be quite confusing since other words are more commonly used, includingfolate and folic acid. Folate is used to encompass the entire group of folate vitamin forms: the natural folypolyglutamates found in food, and folic acid, the synthetic form added to dietary supplements and fortified foods. In any event, it is one nutrient commonly found deficient in those with hearing loss, especially the elderly who are often deficient in folacin as well as B12. When this happens, high levels of the toxin homocysteine form. This causes cholesterol deposits to build up on artery walls, reducing blood flow, nutrients, and oxygen to the heart and other organs, including the ears. Folacin supports energy production in hearing cells as well as increases circulation to the ears and elsewhere in the body. This deficiency is one of the main reasons people equate hearing loss with aging. Obviously, this need not happen.
        • B1 (Thiamine): Thiamine not only enhances circulation but it also optimizes brain and hearing function. A deficiency is known to produce a delayed auditory brainstem response. A biotin deficiency is also thought to affect development of the auditory nerves. Therefore, it is essential that a diagnosis and treatment of a biotin deficiency is carried out in the first year of life.
        • B2 (Riboflavin): B2 is thought to help the hearing cells use needed oxygen. To illustrate how important B2 is as far as the transportation of oxygen is concerned, hyperbaric oxygen treatments are now being recommended as the preferred treatment for sudden hearing loss, acute noise trauma from a car airbag, and Meniere's disease.
        • B3 (Niacin): In the body, niacin is converted into two active forms: NAD (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide) and NADP (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate), which are vital in the transfer of energy in cells. They are two of the most important coenzymes in the human cell involved in more than 50 different metabolic reactions. Niacin and its derivatives help nerve and hearing function cells operate at optimal levels by increasing circulation to the ears, as well as other parts of the body. It has been particularly helpful for those suffering from Meniere's syndrome, associated with hearing loss and vertigo.
        • B5 (Pantothenic acid): Pantothenic acid has been helpful to those suffering from tinnitus where it is thought to “coat” nerve endings in the ear, thereby creating less of the agitating noise.
        • B6 (Pyridoxine): According to PubMed, a B6 deficiency can affect peripheral and brainstem auditory pathways. B6 is also thought to be able to help regulate fluid levels in the ears.
        • B12 (Cobalamin): B12 comes in various forms, but the methyl form is the one best used by the body, especially the central nervous system. Cyanocobalamin is the one most often found in nutritional supplements but then has to be converted by the liver. The conversion produces a significantly lesser amount. Therefore, it is best to use the methyl form. A Houston study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that deficiencies in both B12 and folate, ones particularly common in the elderly, were likely associated with age-related auditory dysfunction. Deficiencies of these two B vitamins could affect both the nervous and vascular systems associated with hearing. A deficiency has also been associated with chronic tinnitus and noise-induced hearing loss. This led researchers to recommend that serum levels of vitamin B12 be evaluated in persons with tinnitus, noise-induced hearing loss, or age-related hearing loss. A deficiency of B12 may also inhibit myelination (outer covering) of the neurons in the cochlear nerve.
      • C: In studies, vitamin C proved to be a highly beneficial antioxidant, particularly when combining it with glutathione as a protection against gentamycin ototoxicity. As much as two or three times the normal dosage was recommended during the drug treatment. Vitamin C was also found to help protect or lower the damage to cochlear hair cells and hearing caused by noise exposure. Vitamin C with bioflavonoids has long been used for proper immune function and, as a result, helps in preventing infections, including those in the ears.
      • D: As far as hearing is concerned, a deficiency in this vitamin has serious consequences and has been associated with otosclerosis (abnormal bone growth in the middle ear), unexplained and bilateral cochlear deafness, presbycusis, and sensorineural hearing loss. Researchers had to conclude that vitamin D deficiency is likely one of the causes and supplementation should be considered in persons with hearing loss. Vitamin D can be inhibited if there is also a magnesium deficiency. If there is a magnesium deficiency, this will also affect calcium intakes. As you can see, not just one nutrient can be isolated as being a cause or cure of something.
      • E: Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that increases circulation, beneficial to all parts of the body including the ear. A deficiency has also been associated with such neurological dysfunctions as abetalipoproteinaemia (also known as Bassen-Kornzweig syndrome) and other fat absorption disorders. Fats, especially alpha-linolenic acid (ALA an Omega-3 essential fatty acid) are vital for the auditory brainstem responses. Furthermore, if the body has problems with fats, there will also be deficiencies in the vitamins stored in fats: vitamin A, vitamin E, and vitamin K, which will cause a domino-effect in health that can also affect hearing. Good circulation depends on a rich supply of essential fatty acids. Excess saturated fat in the diet can interfere with this, as has been shown in children with hearing fluctuations which varied according to their fat intake. Essential fatty acids also helps reduce the tendency to produce excessive amounts of earwax.
      Minerals
      • Copper: Most people receive adequate amounts of copper from their diet. However, a copper-deficient diet has proven to have a detrimental effect on the auditory structures as well as the auditory startle response. Age-related cochlear hair cell loss is also enhanced when the diet is lacking in copper as well as zinc. Copper plays an important role in overall neurological health, including hearing; and a deficiency has been associated with hearing loss.
      • Iodine: Although iodine deficiency is most commonly associated with goiter (an overgrowth of the thyroid gland), studies in animals and humans have found that an iodine deficiency also plays a role in sensorineural hearing loss, including middle ear changes, cochlear lesions, congenital deaf-mutism and bilateral hearing deficits, as well as high hearing thresholds in children. Having an adequate dietary intake of iodine during pregnancy is critical for fetal brain development, beginning about the 14th week and continuing perhaps into the third trimester. In Guizhou, China noted improvements in hearing were seen in otherwise normal school children in iodine-deficient areas following use of iodized salt. There has also been a noted relationship between urinary iodine concentration and hearing capacity in children. Although iodine is available in ordinary salt, some iodine contents are deliberately lowered in some types of table salt in an effort to compensate for the excessive use of table salt by many persons. Certain medical conditions also require strict limitation of dietary salt, further reducing intake of iodine. However, it should be noted that not much is usually needed by the average person.
      • Iron: Iron deficiency is fairly common and can result from several causes including too little dietary iron, poor absorption of iron, or chronic or acute bleeding. (See more here.) Several studies have been conducted where results showed an association with iron deficiency and several hearing abnormalities, including damage to the inner ear cells and sensorineural hearing loss, elevated auditory thresholds, as well as noise-induced hearing loss and cochlear deafness.
        Caution: On the other hand, some research focused on the role of iron in gentamicin-induced ototoxicity. Gentamicin, and similar drugs, is a commonly used antibiotic worldwide, despite its known toxicity to the inner ear. In these studies, gentamicin combined with iron actually produced free radicals and ototoxicity. Therefore, any iron supplementation for anemia-related hearing loss should be done only under the supervision of a physician.
      • Magnesium: Magnesium helps support healthy nerve function in the auditory system, prevents damage to the inner ear hair cells, and protects the arterial linings from physical stress. Studies have shown that this mineral has some protective benefits against noise-induced hearing loss with faster recovery from hearing threshold shift and a significant reduction of trauma caused by high levels of noise exposure, as well as a reduction in ischemia-induced hearing loss. A deficiency did show a significant decrease in these protective benefits.
      • Manganese: Some nutritionists have noted a relationship between a deficiency in manganese and that of ear noises and diminished hearing.
      • Potassium: A healthy nervous system and proper transmission of nerve impulses to all parts of the body, including the ear, is dependent upon potassium.
      • Zinc: This essential mineral is vital for many functions that occur in the body including the support of the immune system, but research is finding that it also protects hair cells in the inner ear. The relationship between zinc deficiency and tinnitus, cochlear damage, and hearing damage has been studied in both humans and animals. Zinc deficiency increases the vulnerability of the cochlea to hearing loss associated with normal aging. Research results indicate that zinc deficiencies increase the vulnerability of the cochlea to damage associated with normal aging. When a zinc supplement was given, one-third of the elderly patients showed marked improvement in tinnitus caused by presbycusis and sensorineural hearing loss. One interesting finding was that researchers found that tinnitus occurred in 13% of children who passed audiometric screening texts, in 23% to 60% of children with hearing loss, and in 44% of children with secretory otitis media. Only 3% of children complain about tinnitus because they do not consider it to be abnormal. According to at least one researcher, tinnitus might be a factor in behavioral problems in children.
      Part one........
      http://www.innvista.com/health/ailments/earail/hearnutr.htm

7. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Calin, This sounds good! I'm going to give it a try, as well.

Best of luck to you on your MRI. Hope all goes well for you.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Thanks... I will take some Ativan to weather through 30 minutes in a tunnel! Never had an MRI before.

Isn't this tree fantastic?

I only saw a couple of people in testimonies that had a gastric disturbance from it. I will suggest one starts out slow with it.

Where are you ordering it from?

9. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, Calin,
      Yes, this Moringa does sound really amazing! I read a few of the reviews on Swanson; looks like it's worth a try. I ordered it from Swanson, as you and Erik did. I agree that it's best to start out slowly with it. I usually start by taking just one to see how it works for me, before taking more. I'm interested in it especially because of its help to the vascular system.

Good luck with your MRI! I've only had one MRI myself (with and without contrast), of the brain. I had an MRA at the same time, which included the carotid arteries. Since this was an "open" MRI, I didn't think it was too bad. Also, they give you sort of "breaks" every so often during the procedure, so that makes it easier. I'm sure you'll do just fine, and wish you the best!

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I thought of you when I read about the vascular enhancing properties.

I think it will do me good too!

11. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Calin, I too wish you luck with your MRI! I've has a couple and they're not bad. They can be a little loud so I wore ear plugs. They also gave me the choice of music to listen to during it. I chose relaxing music and all went fine as I know yours will too.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Good to know Erik! Thanks

13. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Code:
      Moringa
      A native of northern Europe and Asia. The nearest American counterpart is the huckleberry. The berry is used therapeutically, with the anthocyanosides present (cyanidine, malvidine, delphynidine, petunidine and peonidiene) considered to be the pivotal constituents.
      Calin, funny your information mentions the huckleberry. It grows wild everywhere in the hills and mountains where I live. We also have lots of wild blueberries, raspberries and elderberries that we pick. We spent all-day last Saturday picking huckleberries, up on a mountain near my house. It was fun and we got loads of huckleberries which we freeze and use during the winter. They make great pancakes and good in smoothies.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Benefits Of Huckleberry

Huckleberry is a small round berry found in the North American and European continents, on the lower slopes of mountains. The delicious fruit grows on a 16-inch tall shrub. The berries are less than 5 mm in diameter and contain 10 large seeds. The colors of the berries can differ from bright red to dark purple to blue. Huckleberry is quite similar to blueberry in appearance and taste. It forms the food of many mammals, including grizzly bears and humans. Studies have rated huckleberries as number 1 in antioxidant activity, when compared to 40 other fruits and vegetables. Read through the following lines to know the nutritional value of huckleberry, along with the health and nutrition benefits of eating it.

Nutritional Value of Huckleberry

Amount of Huckleberry (raw): 1 ounce
      Total Weight of Huckleberry (raw): 28 g

Nutrients
      Amount
      Basic Components

Carbohydrate
      2.4 g
      Protein
      0.1 g
      Water
      25.4 g
      Calories

Total Calories
      Calories From Carbohydrate
      Calories From Fat
      Calories From Protein
      Vitamins

Vitamin A
      22.1 IU
      Vitamin C
      0.8 mg
      Niacin
      0.1 mg
      Minerals

Calcium
      4.2 mg
      Iron
      0.1 mg
      Sodium
      2.8 mg

Nutrition & Health Benefits of Eating Huckleberries

• One serving of wild huckleberries has more antioxidant power than any other fruit or vegetable, thus helping a person to fight against aging, cancer and health diseases.
      • Huckleberries aid pancreas in digesting sugars and starches.
      • Since the berries are high in iron, they help in building blood.
      • Huckleberries are used in preparing packs for relieving running sores, eczema and skin disorders.
      • They are associated with lowering cholesterol; protecting against heart disease, muscular degeneration, glaucoma, varicose veins, hemorrhoids, and peptic ulcers; and healthier elimination.
      • Being a good source of vitamin B, huckleberry supports and speeds up the metabolism rate, keeps skin and muscle tone healthy. It improves immune system function, promotes cell growth and division and helps in preventing pancreatic cancer.
      • Since it is high in vitamin C, the berry protects body against immune deficiencies, cardiovascular diseases, prenatal health problems, and eye diseases.
      • It also helps in protecting the cells against the damaging effects of free radicals and prevents premature skin wrinkling.
      • The tea made from dried huckleberry leaves proves helpful in case of poor starch digestion.
      • The berry ensures proper functioning of nerve and muscle tissues, such as the heart and skeletal muscles, due to its high content of potassium.
      • The potassium in huckleberry regulates water balances and eliminates wastes.
      • Clinical studies show that huckleberry promotes eye health, especially in case of diabetic patients.
      • It fights infections, promotes insulin production and treats urinary tract infections.
      • Huckleberry It acts as a laxative and treats diarrhea naturally.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Took my first Moringa Oleifera capsule tonight. It says to take 2 per day. 400 mg.

• Creative Creative x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
    17. Pat

Pat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Hi Calin, I ordered Moringa yesterday. Please keep us posted if there is any benifits...Thanks

18. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, everyone,
      I just received my Moringa Oleifera this afternoon, and took my first capsule this evening. I'm going to see how the one capsule works for me; if all goes well, I'll be taking two capsules per day. If there are any tinnitus benefits, I'll let you know!

19. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Any results that you can tell? Just got mine today

20. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, this is my third day on the Moringa Oliefera, and I am now taking 2 capsules per day. I have noticed that my T seems to be a little bit calmer and quieter; I began noticing it yesterday. I have ringing and pulsating, and I noticed a positive change in both.

And -- a side benefit -- it seems to help with blood pressure, too!
      Even in the late afternoon, after a stressful day at work, my blood pressure was very good. Yesterday, it was 118/63 at 5:30 P.M. (when my BP is at its worst), and today it was 120/76 at 6:00 P.M. So far, so good!

21. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Great results Karen. Sounds like you are doing the right things!:)

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      woo-hoo!!!!

Which did you get? The one with just the leaves or the one with the leaves and seeds and fruits?

23. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's the Swanson brand, Full Spectrum, with just the leaves.

Calin, are you taking these now? What kind of results have you had?

Erik, are you taking two per day? Please let us know if/when you notice any changes or results.

24. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I have the one with all three. I took one pill yesterday evening and one this morning. Not sure how many to really take. The dosage says 1 pill day on my bottle.

25. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mine says two per day. I've been taking one in the morning, one in the afternoon.

I'm also still taking the systemic enzymes, so I have to take those in between meals. I take between 6 - 8 systemic enzyme capsules per day.

26. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Hello, what you wrote is promising I would like to try moringa too. I cannot order it from swanson because it would take long and cost much for shipment. I cannot find it on ebay.co.uk either. Any idea where to obtain moringa supplements in EU?

EDIT: one store in my country sells "moringa oleifera" in powder form:

moringa.jpg
      Do you think it's the same thing?

27. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fish -- I'm no expert, but the powder form does seem like it would have the same effect.

And I found this link (in German) to a website in Europe. Are you able to read German?
      http://www.moringa-europe.com/

I don't know how much of the powder form you would need to take per dose, but there may be instructions on the bag. Hope you are able to obtain it in some form. It's worth a try!

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I bought both types from Swanson, but I am just taking the leaves (2 per day) right now. I have read that it may take a week or two to see results of some kind. that makes sense though. I do feel calmer. I sleep pretty good.

• Winner Winner x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
    30. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Only been a couple days for me. I am taking the one with all three and I have had 2 very low days in a row but still early to tell and could just be my regular T cycle....