Movie Date Concerns

Discussion in 'Support' started by NetroPhil, Nov 18, 2014.

1. NetroPhil
      Jaded

NetroPhil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I'm going on a date with someone to see Mockingjay at the cinema at some point next week and I'm wondering whether I should take my ear plugs (they're some of those e22 things that djs wear). Or will I be okay without them? Because in my experience, the Hunger Games movies arent especially loud.

Advice, as always, appreciated.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      It's better to have them with you and not need them than to need them and not have them with you.
      So, if I were you, I'd take them with me just in case this is louder than previous Hunger Games movies.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I use a phone app if unsure, and take ear plugs too for peace of mind

4. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      If you look around this site, you'll see a lot of questions like this and a lot of answers like, "Earplugs will protect you," which they do NOT protect against the low bass frequencies which are "Bone conduction" sounds. You'll also see comments like, "Just live your life to the fullest and go to the movies." I don't go to movie theaters anymore. They are, in part, the cause of my Tinnitus. Also, I learned the hard way that we hear through the air and through our head. Air conduction and bone conduction. And earplugs are usually only a false sense of security in these high volume, loud bass situations. I'm speaking from experience. It's not worth it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NetroPhil
      Jaded

NetroPhil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music

So...... what? You're suggesting I cancel it?

6. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I would cancel it...why risk it...might be a shit movie anyway. Watch them at home where you have control over the volume.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NetroPhil
      Jaded

NetroPhil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      No. No way. Cancelling is not an option here. I really like this person.

....I suppose I could ask them if we could do something else....

8. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      Go to the movie man. Wear ear plugs, youll be ok.

Im not recommending anything I wouldnt do myself. I hit my first movie in a while last Sunday. It went fine, I enjoyed myself!!!! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      You'll be fine, just use your ear plugs.

Don't stress about bringing them out, just be straight up and say that you ears are messed up and that the plugs help you - too easy! I used to always second guess using my ear plus in certain situations (movies, bars, loud restaurants) because I didn't want to bring attention to myself, and my friends can be a pain in the ass, but now I just use them whenever I need and I've realized no one cares or even notices.

Volume levels between cinemas and movies do vary greatly though, so it's something to take into consideration.

Ideally no one should need to use ear plugs at a cinema, and some venues are indeed extremely professional and make every effort to keep the volume at a sensible level. However, other venues have no clue and basically blast the sound system as loud as they can because they think it will attract more customers or enhance the experience somehow.

Volume levels also vary greatly depending on the type of movie. Big budget action adventure flicks like to emphasize dynamics to create tension, so one section of the movie will be super quiet and then as soon as the action begins, they blast off with sound effects and a huge soundtrack. On the other hand you have indie movies that have no soundtrack, and the volume basically stays the same throughout the entire feature.

So taking those factors into consideration, it's just a good idea to have ear plugs handy. Custom plugs with filters are great in the scenario because they generally provide a better balance of sound and allow you choose the level of attenuation (eg. 9db vs. 15db vs. 25db of protection).

In regards to bone conduction, I don't think this is an issue in cinemas - even with loud movies. I think ear plugs are more than adequate protection in this situation.

I've never been in a movie where I thought the bass was loud enough to damage my hearing, this is before and after my experience with tinnitus and hyperacusis. In comparison to bars, clubs and concerts where there are sub woofer stacks blasting off in your face for hours on end, the exposure in cinemas is minimal.

I think most ear plugs would be effective at protecting you from any brief exposures to loud bass harmonics during a feature. Having said that, everyone does react differently and I wouldn't discredit anyone who might disagree with me or unfortunately experienced otherwise, but I think the majority of us are fine to go and see movies with some hearing protection handy.

Anyway, go have fun!

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. john livingston
      Cool

john livingston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1974
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      football contact
      • You should be up front with your date about your affliction with T and that loud theater noise is no good for us. If the gal values your company maybe she would be open to changing plans for a quieter evening. If not go to movie and if it gets to bad just sit in lobby and eat pop corn ha ha! Just kidding but you do need to be able to control volumes as the damage to your T can be done with out you even realizing it till later when its to late!

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NetroPhil
      Jaded

NetroPhil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I have told them (err....him) and seems fine with me bringing my plugs. Apparently he has T too, thiugh on a smaller scale, so I'm feeling better about that aspect....

• Like Like x 1
    12. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I see no mention of you having H. So, if you only have a T condition without H, I think that you should go and see it.

That said, I went to see the war movie "FURY" a couple of weeks ago. Knowing that it was about tank battles and combat, I just wore my plugs and really enjoyed the flick. Glad I went! I don't let my T condition stop me from doing the things that I enjoy.

Bring your plugs go to the movie and enjoy yourself!

13. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Remember unless you walk out you are a captive audience for approx 2 hours. Ear plugs are not an option, they are a necessity. I don't understand why people have to go to the movies. They are over priced with bad acting and story. Least we not forget LOUD! When it comes out for TV watch it on your big screen TV with you controlling the volume.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. tomm
      Thinking

tomm Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (club drumming)
      Had coincidence! I found some 'active'/adaptive ear plugs yesterday from these guys.

They have these, that at low mode boosts stuff for a bit (maybe good for masking?) then starts protecting you.

mp915_graph3.png

15. Zam

Zam Member

Tinnitus and Hyperacusis are unfortunately lifestyle and quality of life changers. If your partner isn't ok with accommodating you with those lifestyle changes, then you should look elsewhere. I know it feels awkward to have to wear earplugs all over the place, but you give people less credit than they deserve; most people will understand and accommodate you because they know if you're purposefully wearing something that makes you seem silly, then there's a damn good reason for it.

16. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yes T and H are lifestyle changers but they don't have to dictate your life. You just have to be more aware. I go to the movies all the time and I have T and still mild H. I always have ear plugs but depending on the movie and theater (diff theaters play movies at different levels), don't always need them. Bottom line is you will be fine and sometimes just knowing you have them in your pocket is enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      You should most definately take good ear plugs .
      I had spike after a movie for about 2 months .
      I wouldn't go to movies period ..even with plugs ! It's not worth it !
      We can stil enjoy lot of things but in IMHO we must stop going to loud places ..movies , wedding after party ..concerts. So many ppl will tell you how T was spiked after a loud noise exposure. I wouldn't take any chance .
      You can't be brave with T.

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NetroPhil
      Jaded

NetroPhil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Well, I went and saw it - had to put earplugs in but they were perfect and I enjoyed myself :3

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      At least bring some foam plugs and you will be fine. I go to the movies a lot and so does my dad who has severe T.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      @NetroPhil

Good man Phil, glad you went and had a good time. I know most of us have a fear of it worsening but you have to be sensible about it.

21. Rudy

Rudy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Post ear lavage tinnitus.
      glad you went, hows your T/H now? have you been to the movies anymore?