MRI With Severe Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by Street Spirit, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yes this helps me as well. My H went from bad to catastrophic trying to expose myself to every day sounds.

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      What did your LDL testing show?

Dr. Stephen Nagler

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

Street Spirit Member Benefactor

Saw my GP. She insists I have the MRI. I don't know what to do :(

4. generalfuzz

generalfuzz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxic reaction to relafen
      Going in for my MRI in a couple hours. I'll let you know my experience.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. generalfuzz

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      FYI - it went fine. It wasn't a whole lot of fun, but I knew what I was signing up for (jackhammers next to my head). They would have happily let me abort if I was uncomfortable (and not charge me). I only wore earplugs - there was no way I could also put on a head set given that my head needed to be enclosed/stabilized.

I took an ativan beforehand which was a good idea. Only a minor spike in T - I've had worse spikes before.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

Thanks for updating @generalfuzz sounds like it went over pretty well. I hope your spike has subsided.

8. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      My ENT wanted me to have an MRI as well but I ain't having none of that. Too chicken. :bag:
      But then again with good ear plugs it's going to be okay.

9. generalfuzz

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Spike totally subsided :)

• Like Like x 2
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

That's great @generalfuzz for me however,paper is making my ears burn and face go numb so I have postponed my MRI.

• Hug Hug x 2
    11. dh42

dh42 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Lynn,

If your doctor wants the MRI done, get it done. Just wear good earplugs. Don't let your fear/emotions interfere with the business of diagnosing your health. The more facts you know, the better. Just my two cents.

• Like Like x 1
    12. kaycee
      Doubtful

kaycee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Did you end up going to your rescheduled MRI ? I hope youre.ok

13. felinefine
      No Mood

felinefine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      many years, but much worse after acoustic trauma in 2014
      @Street Spirit did all of these symptoms (facial and ear) happen after a concussion? I had a very strange illness that went undiagnosed for a long time. Usually when this happens it is due to your environment. You weren't exposed to any toxic substances were you? Mold? Bitten by something? These are things that can be easily overlooked. Do you live in a water damaged building? I am trying to help because I know how terrible it can be when there are no answers, sometimes you have to be your own detective. Anyway I hope this helps, and if it doesn't maybe it will help someone else :)

14. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      Lynn, just saw this thread. I haven't been around much.

Did you get it done? I wasn't in a setback at the time of my MRI, but it put me in a setback. it took about a week before I got back to my baseline.

edit - adding:
      And I had double ear protection. plugs and muffs.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

Had an MRI (mrcp) on Monday for yet another spontaneous illness that began in December.

I am ok.

@felinefine due to my strange and rare illnesses I will be looking into mold etc..I did have a yest for Lyme which came back negative, though those tests aren't very reliable. Thanks for your input.

Hi @SueR ! :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      Hi Street Spirit!

• Like Like x 1
    17. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      MRI does indeed give a better picture, provided its at the right resolution. A lot of private clinics do half-arsed short MRI's to squeeze as many paying customers in per day as possible. If you have a neuroma it will show up easily enough, but if you want more depth with ear structures shown, then it needs to be around 20 minutes with IV contrast. ENT's are only interested in ruling out the very unlikely acoustic neuroma, beyond that you should have referral to a neuro-otologist. Most of the ENTs won't even know what that is.

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      I feel very, very fortunate I got hooked into a neurotologist soon after symptoms started. First symptom was Nov. 18, 2013 and I got to a neurotologist early February. In between that time, I saw my PCP, an ENT, went to the ER, , and saw a Neurologist. Got my dx in early April after MRIs, CTs, hearing tests...and another test, I can't remember what it's called. turn your head, they put a sound in your ear and get results from the wiring they have on your head and neck.

19. Gio Makyo

Gio Makyo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/19/2014
      I tried twice on The Toshiba Vantage. Supposedly peaks at 85 dbs but I couldn't handle it even with plugs cutting 20dbs even. Felt more like 90-100 range. And the worst of sounds for hyperacusis, short, sharp, and metallic. I had to bail both times, still looking for one I can handle since I have serious neck, ear, and facial pain issues that came along with the H and T.
      Has anyone tried the latest Siemens Quiet Suite MRI? Supposedly at around 64 dbs which is virtually conversation level, but I am suspicious whether that is actual peak level or ideal.

20. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Hey man actually i lost my doctor because my ent told him i refused to do a mri because he didnt understand how bad my H was.. He wanted to sedate me thinking i was scared of the machine or something. well i was the noise not the machine itself..ive been in a mri twice before i had Hyperacusis and it is loud man. I was scared shitless both times thinking it was going to damage my ears luckily it only spiked it a bit before H i mean.. But with bad H i know itll damage it bad.. Depending on your severity i mean... My ent thought i was over reacting even tho i told him how normal sounds would hurt me bad and he wanted to put me in a 100-120 db machine shows how much they actually know man..only you really know your tollerance..

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

Well I had an abdominal MRI with I'm guessing moderate H and was just fine with good ear plugs.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

I refused my latest MRI because I have worsened but I have exact same symptoms as you. My Neuro just did a CT scan looking for SCDS.

23. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      mri scans are for ppl that dont know how they got t. but i already know how so its pointless on my part as i told the doc and he also knew. i told him im only risking damage, if for sure u know somethings wrong and the mri will find it and told him whats the chances u find something, he said slim to none. i was like then why the heck then, his response" nothing else to do with you. lol pathetic was putting me in danger for nothing with my bad H..

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

Yes I flat out told my Neuro, no MRI..because I knew it wasn't absolutely nessacary. I had a CT instead. At first his receptionist tried to drop me when I said No, when I finally saw him he didn't care and was understanding..point being, keep looking! I met a doc today who is completely amazing.

• Like Like x 1
    25. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      I have forgotten how many of those I have had over the years, I never had any problems, I did wear ear plugs. But they never found anything wrong either. What I understand is they generaly never do.

You may want to avoid it if they don't have a good enough reason to do it.
      At least that's the way I see it.

26. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Yeah, I never had an MRI never offered one to be honest haha...They mostly do that in America I guess, for moniessss.

27. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Yup most likely even if u had one but ur new ent insists to get one even tho they can just get the records from the previous one its all about money and future visits more visits even tho they dont help u with anything means more money for them..

28. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      In the UK it's free on the NHS...So my ent didn't even mention it.

29. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Im guessing the nhs is a free health care system .. I have insurance from my work so i dont pay much for visits..10$ a visit but the insurance pays them the good $$$

30. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I prefer the NHS as everything is free including cancer treatment.