Multi-Toned Tinnitus with Squeals and Rumbles

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Teefee61, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Teefee61

Teefee61 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Food sensitivity
      Hi everyone,
      I've had tinnitus for a long time, but when I first heard the rumbling, I thought it came from a car idling somewhere... It took me a while to realise it was in my own head and that there was no escaping it. Moreover, I have different sounds in my head at the same time, ranging from high pitched squealing to low-pitched rumbling.
      It gets much worse when I eat certain foods, and also my head/ neck position seem to affect it. Sometimes food (tinned food, tomatoes, wine, high salicylate foods) will lead to such intense noise that I cannot hear. The only remedy is to lie down and rest, and try and relax. After 12 hours or so, it gets better. I've learned not to panic, it doesn't help.
      It's worse at the moment, I guess it's because I'm trying to eat healthy food. But now, after a lunch of salad, chicken and a little feta, it's got worse. I feel like there's a whole airport in my head, with lots of loud rumbling. There's also a whole radio lab, with high pitched electronic-sounding squealing too, on at least four tones.
      I wish it would go away. The best thing would to either sleep or go for a walk, but I need to work. Meditation doesn't make it disappear, but it helps me tolerate it.

Does anyone here have similiar problems?

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Teefee61

Teefee61 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Food sensitivity
      Thank you for your reply, billie!

I'm fortunate to know what foods make me react. I have food intolerances, not allergies, which means they can't be tested in the same way. It took me years to work it out, despite being "allergic" to aspirin (not a true allergy, as IgE antibodies are not involved).

I am intolerant to salicylic acid, which in most fruit, nuts and vegetables, and histamine, which is in alcohol, tinned and fermented food, etc. So the healthier I eat, the worse the tinnitus becomes. Not all salicylate sensitive people have tinnitus, but some do.

Today, after a healthy lunch by most standards, my tinnitus was terrible. A roar rather than a rumble. That's when I found this forum. But now it's just a rumble and squeal again, a few hours after lunch.

I don't know if anyone out there has similar issues?