MuteButton

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Jim, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Where is Susan Shore? She will be dead when they release any tinnitus treatment.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      "She's an established, respected, tenured professor"

I've never known a professor that wasn't a narcissist.

This isn't about money, it's about her ego.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's..... quite the hot take you've got there.

4. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      If she were serious about this and felt threatened don't you think there'd be some evidence that she's picking up the pace to catch up? To me it paints a portrait of someone with a very low level of investment/enthusiasm. It's hard for us, as tinnitus sufferers, to relate to such apathy, but there ARE life-long academics who are more interested in surfing on tenure than actually accomplishing something meaningful in the world. If she doesn't want to be classified as one, all she has to do is pick up the pace. I don't buy the idea things are moving slowly purely for budgetary reasons.

5. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I think she was living in a comfortable little bubble and now the reality of someone else's device coming to market has shattered that illusion. This was going to be her significant life accomplishment and now someone else has come along and stolen her thunder.

• Funny Funny x 2
    6. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Lots of mind reading and assumptions going on in these posts :). Fun to read though.

• Agree Agree x 7
    7. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You're sitting in judgement of someone you've never met based on your preconstructed notions of what someone in that vocation is like. That's the height of arrogance. Susan has been very compassionate and responsive to me in email, so, go jump in a lake?

As far as "ego", yes, innovators and inventors often like to be recognized for their work, often to the point of at least mild detriment, but if the world was free of people who innovated for personal gain, we'd probably still be living in trees.

Actually the funniest thing I've read all week, thanks :) <3

As far as "significant life accomplishments" -- she's already there, she's got her name all over work that has completely redefined the neurological model of tinnitus over the last 1-2 decades. Uh, what have you done with your life that's so great? If you're sitting here just pooping on the reputation of a really helpful tinnitus researcher out of malice, I'd like to know what qualifies you to be doing anything more important than repeatedly sticking your foot in your mouth on here, thx

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
      • Agree Agree x 4
    8. jmasterj
      No Mood

jmasterj Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic?
      If you are referring to the Reddit post that I linked in the Michigan thread he/she did not actually visit Susan Shore, but rather Dr. Larry Roberts at McMaster University. Apparently, he is trialing Shore's device for her in Canada. I am no longer able to edit the post. Possibly Dr. Roberts may not know about Neuromod, but I am sure Susan Shore does.

It is possible that Neuromod may be good for non-somatic tinnitus, Shore may work best for somatic tinnitus, and Minnesota may be the best out of the bunch. We really don't know. I will gladly zap myself silly with all of them if it helps, even if I gain a third arm.

• Informative Informative x 2
    9. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      That's quite a monologue you've prepared. Your passion has swayed me.

I now realize that St. Shore is a completely selfless, compassionate human being and in no way is driven by the grandiose sense of self that every other academic that's ever existed has displayed. I'm sure she's thrilled that someone else has come along and threatened to steal her glory with what she likely views as an inferior product. I'm certain that she's 100% okay with that and it doesn't in any way bother her because rigid older women are known for being easy going and carefree about things like that. Thank you for helping me to see the light.

• Winner Winner x 1
    10. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I’ve written a poem for Hubert Lim and I intend to send it to him once they give the next bit of info...

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    11. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Just being honest but when I literally begged her for help her response couldn’t have been more ruthlessly cold.

• Like Like x 1
    12. spedgas
      Scared

spedgas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find the answer. In what capacity have you been to Shore's lab a lot? Thanks, sorry if this is an annoying question.

• Genius Genius x 1
    13. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Just my 2 cents - I had a brief email correspondence with Dr. Shore in last January after the study's release and she has been kind to me and very responsive. Just one point of contact but she definitely didn't come across as cold or uncaring. Quite the opposite.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. GamesB2
      No Mood

GamesB2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      uknown
      Why does it seem those who are working on viable treatments are the least interested in getting it to us quickly?

Every day is an uphill battle and every major player seems to be radio silent.

Just ranting now, this is frustrating.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Susan Shore has been very nice to us as well - always responds quickly and puts time and thought into her responses. Uncaring and cold are pretty much the last adjectives I'd describe her with.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
    16. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Maybe she reads this forum and thinks I’m a c***.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    17. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am sorry to hear that; probably in the iterim as her research picked up news articles she became increasingly overwhelmed with inquires. I will say she was always pretty quick to delegate my communication to her underlings, but, shit, I do the same thing in my professional life whenever possible.

You're still making baseless accusations about someone you don't know based on your rather hostile seeming views of academia, but now you're mixing in a little casual bigotry towards older women. Nice, stay classy!

The seething anger in your posts continues to confuse me.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    18. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Yeah it’s no biggie. It was a shot in the dark and I was surprised she even responded. More than anything I was hoping to just impress on her that we could do with her getting a shuffle on and actually turn all this research into a lifesaving product.

19. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      She denied knowing about the existence of a competitor's product. There was clearly a reason for that. We can speculate as to what that reason was but it is at the very least a peculiar response.

I've known some great people in academia but it is a profession that tends to attract narcissists. I'm certainly not the first person to make that observation. Maybe that's a part of what makes them good at what they do. Steve Jobs was an enormous narcissist but he was also extremely productive. Sometimes being a narcissist is a good thing. That being said, I'm sure he wasn't thrilled when he found out that Microsoft beat him to market with Windows.

"little casual bigotry towards older women."

I said "rigid older women." And yes, in my experience, rigid older women tend to be...rigid. Kudos for the virtue signaling though. That clearly makes you a good person.

"The seething anger in your posts continues to confuse me"

Please continue to be a passive aggressive t**t. That's so much more dignified.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    20. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      For what it’s worth I’m not confused by it. I cannot imagine a better reason on earth to be seething with anger than having a fucking non stop noise in your own head that will only stop when you’re dead.

• Agree Agree x 6
    21. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      For a product that hasn’t released any data about it or a release date, we all sure do know a lot. Lol.

We can argue all we want, but until we have the facts it’s all conjecture.

It helps pass the time, but if we are getting hostile we should probably take a step back.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    22. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Jack if we take out the hostility this forum ceases to exist dude! In fact I read earlier that Tinnitus Talk has led scientists to believe that rabies and tinnitus are linked.

• Funny Funny x 1
    23. ee9892

ee9892 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      Susan Shore NEVER denied knowing about Neuromod. The Reddit user who posted the thread said the person who did the screening at McMaster University did NOT know of Neuromod.

ARE YOU ALL DENSE?

24. antonio77

antonio77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      It seems absurd to attack the few in the world who work to cure tinnitus.

If only in 1991 we had known what we know today... (my tinnitus is from 1991 when I was 21 years old).

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    25. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

You're extrapolating this from a Reddit post from someone who has never been to Susan Shore's lab or spoken to her.

I have been to Susan Shore's lab. Her technicians were very aware of Neuromod, and that was 3 years ago.

• Informative Informative x 2
    26. El BUZZ
      Buzzed

El BUZZ Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I'm starting to feel more anxious for the bloody device to show up and then all the mind wanking here stopping than to see if it's the real thing.

There's a lot of masochist behaviour in here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Either way it's irrelevant to the final product. I believe that her tech is probably superior to Neuromod's but that still doesn't mean that she's happy about them beating her to market.

28. PlsHelpMe
      Dead

PlsHelpMe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 28th, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A friend shot a cap gun into my ear. (Once)
      Can anyone update me?

• Funny Funny x 1
    29. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Various devices in development. No one here knows anything. Go put yourself on Neuromod's mailing list and you'll know as much as anyone else.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    30. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Bottom line is... there's reason to hope. How much, we don't know yet.

• Agree Agree x 1