My Audiologist Confessed He Has Tinnitus!

Discussion in 'Support' started by wishingluck, Sep 16, 2015.

1. wishingluck
      No Mood

wishingluck Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure, but probably acoustic trauma
      After I filled a questionnaire and went through audio tests, he confessed he himself has tinnitus. I asked him if he got into this job because of it, and he said no, it was just a coincidence!

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi wishingluck,
      At least he knows from first hand how it can make you feel and what its like.....lots of love glynis

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Well, the first ENT I saw also had T. Was condescending and spoke to me as if I was stupid. Didn't really listen to what I was saying. Just because they have it themselves doesn't make them anymore sympathetic in my experience. Even a doctor I saw with T could not offer me any words of comfort as I broke down in tears. I hate them all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Brian Reade
      Cheerful

Brian Reade Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      after chiropractic neck adjustment
      Sometimes just knowing that others have it, helps us know we are not alone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      wishingluck
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Man, I am so with you on all you said. I f***g hate them too. In all these years I saw A LOT of doctors, and 99.9 per cent I think all suck! They are insensitive, stupid, don't shut up when you try to explain your problem, they interrupt before you finish your sentences, they say stupid crap like 'I won't give you too many tests to do, because I don't want to overwhelm you'. Just yesterday I went back to dentist and told him I am trying to find out if my jaw disorders have anything to do with my T, and he interrupted by saying 'In 25 years, I have never heard of anything in your mouth causing tinnitus. Do you know what tinnitus is? You have to see an ENT'.

I said 'First of all, have a good look at the British Tinnitus Association leaflets about jaw disorders and tinnitus. Second of all, I already saw not one, but two ENT, and they both said my hearing is 'fine', which , to me, implies that the cause COULD be something else, and third, I already know more about tinnitus than you ever did, because I have read research papers written by reputable doctors. So please let me finish my sentence!'.

Damn it, they really suck.
      I don't expect someone to say a magic word and make my problems disappear, but these people are a disaster. You can tell they don't give a damn about anyone. They see a patient as someone would stack tinned food on a shelf in a supermarket: get the job 'done', and move on.

Like someone said in these forums, doctors are the worst enemy. It's so flipping sad. I probably met 2 good doctors out of almost 60 !

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      wishingluck
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes. It's not like we are happy about the fact that others have it, but can you imagine being the only one in the world having this? That would suck 50 times harder.

7. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Yep, they are what I call ' payday clinicians' . What am I paying my taxes for? I could have something seriously wrong but no, here's some steroid spray and ' I don't think I need to see you anymore'. I know through personal experience that they don't always get it right.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I'm not sure they do, if they have minor T that doesn't bother them, this is the absolute worst person to try and relate to.

• Agree Agree x 3
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      wishingluck
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know if he has minor T, and I do agree that the difference between minor and major T is enormous, and in fact my worse fear, as mine is pretty bad. But I don't think he's happy about his, he works all day in a soundproofed rooom. He realized that my problem is bad and he even admitted he's lucky. He didn't say it with a smile on his face, though.

All in all, he did much better than the other two idiots I saw. The first one said exactly this: 'Yeah, it's tinnitus, there's no cure. Oh man I have heard so many horrible things, about suicide, etc'.

I am serious. I already knew the stuff he told me, but just thought 'Oh really? Thanks a lot, you ba***d, that's really what I need to hear. I am already feeling better. '.

Needless to say, I didn't go back. The next ENT wasn't much better, you could tell a mile away that he could not care less.

The guy I wrote about in this post, did a lot better, at least he did his job, and somehow tried to help me, as he admitted that my psychological state was at the far end of bad.

But this is not to say I relate to any of them. Hell, not at all. I'd rather relate to a wall.

10. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The world may never know..
      @truesilence I hear ya! That's exactly how I was treated at my first ENT! Also, my boss kind of gave me a wake up call about it too, I'm like. welp, if it's here to stay, it's here to stay. I actually lay in my quiet room purposefully and meditate, seems to help me a ton! I actually have a very positive reaction to my tinnitus because of this. I don't fear quiet spaces anymore. One step at a time!
      Ricardo

• Helpful Helpful x 1