My First Post; Thank You

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sheamus, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Sheamus
      Fine

Sheamus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      February
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Insomnia, stress and sleep medication
      Dear fellow Tinn. Soldiers,

Sorry for the bad pun, but tinnitus does feel like a battle at times, and this forum makes me feel I am not in it alone. I have read many wonderfully empathetic and encouraging postings, from Glynis, Jelena and many other members. It has been very comforting, and I just want to say “thank you.”

I am now in my 10th week with tinnitus. I guess I got it from a combination of work stress from a new teaching gig, insomnia and the sleep medications my RN prescribed me: a cocktail combination of rozerem, hydroxyzine and ibuprofen. Just one week into this regimen, I awoke to a loud alarm bell inside my head. It has been with me ever since, even though I quit the medications immediately.

My tinnitus is pretty variable. I can go for two days with it almost completely quiet followed by days when I can hear it over everything, including the shower. Today is one of those days. On the good days, I try to control the urge to believe this low level might be my baseline. On days like today, I just put one foot in front of the other and soldier on.

I had hopes that this condition might be temporary, given the little time I was on the medication. But I am moderately deaf in my two highest ranges. So, at 10 weeks, I now expect it will be permanent. This is why the messages from forum members who habituate successfully are so encouraging to me.

Thank you for listening. I wish you all the best.

Cheers,
      Jim

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Thanks for sharing your story @Sheamus, welcome to the forum...

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Sheamus ,
      Thank you for your kind words.
      ibuprofen is well noted for causing ringing in the ears and if still taking it have a chat with your doctor to see what else you could take.

Do what you can to relax and keep relaxing music on around you.
      I hope you are sleeping better and over time your tinnitus settles.

Keep the positivity going and that will help you through the tough times.

Love glynis

4. BLane
      Dreaming

BLane Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Welcome aboard Sheamus. Tinnitus Talk is an invaluable resource for info and support, especially during those first 6-8 months before habituation. Your positive mindset should help speed up the process alot! Hang in there.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sheamus
      Fine

Sheamus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      February
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Insomnia, stress and sleep medication
      Thank you, Candy, Glynis and Blane for your welcoming emails. Much appreciated!

Wishing you all the best,
      Jim

• Hug Hug x 1