My Intro — My Story

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Patrick Keough, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Patrick Keough

Patrick Keough Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vertgo
      Greetings! My name is Patrick and I am 64 years old. My son lives in El Salvador and I went to visit him last April.

While there I got dehydrated due to lots of physical activity and the night after a difficult climb through the mountains I got Vertigo 2 days before flying home to North Carolina. The vertigo was really scary and luckily I have a friend who is a physical therapist and she cured me of the vertigo by doing the eply maneuver on me 2 days in a row.

It took about 3 more weeks to be completely cured of the Vertigo, BUT once that went away I got Tinnitus. The first 2 weeks were hell and I had to get anti-anxiety meds from my doctor to calm me down from the stress of the ringing.

Since then I have learned to manage it by keeping a fan on in my bedroom and white noise music playing when I am home. I don't really notice it when I am out and about.

I am now able to sleep and even though the ringing is annoying I seem to be getting used to it. It seems some things trigger the tinnitus and make it worse like certain meds. I had a colonoscopy 2 days ago and the stuff they had me drink the day before triggered it and now it is a bit louder - I am hoping it calms back down soon.. It also seems that early in the morning the ringing is lower and as the day progresses it gets a bit more pronounce.

It sucks that there doesn't seem to be a cure for this. Ear doctor did tests and said I have a big drop in my hearing at certain decibels in left ear and he thinks that is what is causing it.

I am thinking about looking into hearing aids to see if that might minimize the tinnitus. I feel for all of you who have this horrible and annoying condition. Seems like there are many MANY people who have it.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk Patrick,
      I have just read your story.
      I'm glad your vertigo has stopped now as I know just how horrid that is to go through and I'm sure a hearing aid will help you !
      Keep posting for support.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Welcome to the forum :)

Vertigo and inner ear issues got me tinnitus at the beginning...Rock concert made it worst and it was a battle, in those early months. You seem to have a positive attitude and that is a great way to deal with tinnitus. Protecting your ears and being positive go far with tinnitus, raw emotions, anger, stress are not helpful with tinnitus at all.

Be well...

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Patrick Keough

Patrick Keough Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vertgo
      Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. I keep relaxing music playing on my Iphone while in my apartment and have downloaded a white noise fan to my phone that I keep next to my pillow when I go to bed. I can see how people can really freak out and get anxiety attacks from this. I was very upset and had to take anti-anxiety pills the first 2 weeks I got Tinnitus but now it seems my body and mind is adapting and for me the white noise and soothing music is very helpful. Thank God I don't notice it when I am outside. I'm going to look into the hearing aid and see if that will help reduce the ringing.