My Intro and Tinnitus Struggle

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by aberob, Oct 13, 2017.

1. aberob

aberob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      a variant of meniers maybe, and or anxiety
      Hi all, I am a 52yro male form New Brunswick, Canada.

I was seeing an ENT Dr about the tinnitus and low tone hearing decrease in my left ear. My family Dr referred me to him about 6 years ago. In 2013 the ENT Dr said he wanted to see me in 2 years but he unfortunately passed away. I asked my family Dr about who to see and he told me I could “go to the mall for a hearing test.”

I have had the ringing and humming for many years but since early September there has been a buzzing sound that is very annoying and sometimes pulses. My hearing in my left ear fluctuates and there is tight pressure on my eardrum. The ENT Dr tested my hearing and saw me several times and noted I have low tone hearing loss in my left ear. He thought I have a variant of Meniere’s and told me there is no cure or anything he could do (discouragement and anxiety increased). I saw another Dr in Saint John about 10years ago and he thought I have TMJ or TMD. The only trauma to my jaw I can remember is when a Dentist removed a lower molar when I was 15 yrs old and my jaw was moving all around and making cracking noise as he tried to remove the tooth. He yelled as his assistant to hold my jaw still.

For the past several years the tinnitus has been masked by back ground noise during the daytime. The beginning of this September is when the buzzing sound started in my left ear for the first time and has not stopped since. I hear many tones at the same time and the volume of them is louder lately. I even feel tingling in my head and that scares me and feeds my anxiety. This has been driving me extra crazy lately and increasing my anxiety during the day and keeps me up some nights with worry and sweats. Then I can't go to work or function well the next day. When I am teaching my left ear is buzzing and ringing and sometimes hot, I feel like I am in a haze and have difficulty concentrating and functioning at school. I end up staying home to often and am very tired.

I am frustrated and getting desperate. I started taking different vitamins 2 weeks ago, listening to Binaural beats and masking sounds on YouTube, trying to relax and Praying to get relief. I have seen several doctors over the years with no real help. Before Sept the tinnitus was usually masked by everyday noise but now the buzzing wont stop and is there with all the back ground noise. Just today I was able to make an appointment with another ENT Dr for November 23. Still praying and hoping for the best.

I feel alone but am relieved to have found this forum and a chance to tell my tinnitus struggle and read others. I do not know of any support groups in my area.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @aberob

I am sorry to hear of the discomfort that you are in. I believe you will get help seeing a Hearing Therapist that is trained in tinnitus treatment and management. If I were you, I would see a dentist or orthodontist to check my jaw for TMJ since you had issues with it some years ago. It can contribute to your tinnitus. Please click on the link below and read my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View, that you might find helpful.

Best of luck
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aberob

aberob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you Micheal for your encouragement :) It is nice to talk to others who understands.
      Adrian (Abe)

4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome a Canadian from another Canadian. I am on the opposite coast though.

Since your tinnitus is having a spike and the cause of this spite is still unsure, I am listing below some of the more common causes of T. These causes, single or combined, can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including by not limited to drug reaction or side-effects from ototoxic drugs, ear wax build-up, inner ear infection, Eustachian tube infection or ETD, ear drum injury, fluid build-up in ears feeling pressured or fullness, sinus infection & congestion, TMJ, TTTS, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma/shock, head trauma & injury, neck injury or muscle problems, hearing loss, Meniere's Decease, barotrauma from sudden change of air pressure such as during landing & taking off on flights especially with blocked nose causing failure to balance the pressure changes, slapping of the ears, deep grief for the loss of loved ones, untreated sleep apnea, extreme, extended stress, anxiety & panic disorder, sleep deprivation, etc., etc. T can also be caused or made worse by unhealthy diet such as too much salt, sugar, caffeine, MSG, alcohol etc. or by lacking some mineral or vitamin supplements, such as Magnesium, Zinc, B12, D3 etc. If you can pin down the cause of the spike, it will help treatment and the recovery process.

While you are trying to find out the cause or seeking treatment, it is best you stay calm and positive that this spike will settle back to basement over time. This will help to lower the anxiety and stress level which can make T worse. Try to read up as many success stories as you can to give you hope. I am listing a few stories below including my own. Yes praying will help calm the soul too. Good luck. Take care. God bless.

my story with ultra high pitch T and severe hyperacusis:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

The most read success story on TT with a simple but effective method:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aberob

aberob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hello from the east coast. Thank you for the welcome and info. I have learned there are so many things that contribute to T . I have been stressing about it and and have anxiety issues and this feeds each other. I hope I can find out whats causing it and address it. I am so glad I found this forum. Having a camomile with ginger tea now to calm down and get a good rest I hope. :)
      also listen to nature sounds

• Hug Hug x 1